Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Print out of PS doesn't match profiled screen

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Paintman
Paintman e2 Member 7832 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom172 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2010 - 7:07 PM

Not answering the OP's point but Jesters one about up-loaded mods looking different on Epz, have you tried this?

After doing all your editing work in PS, flattening the image and re-sizing the image, go to 'Edit', Convert to profile...' and a dialogue box will come up.

Into the 'Destination Space' section, select from the drop down menu, 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1'.

In the 'Conversion Options' section, select 'Adobe (ACE) and 'Relative Colourmetric' in the 'Engine:' and 'Intent:' fields respectively.

Tick the 'Use Black Point Compensation' box and tick the 'Use Dither' box.

Once this is done use 'Save to Web and Devices...' and use the quality slider so the image is less than 400kb's, name the photo and choose a destination in your comuter and press 'Save'.

This is how I do it and I haven't had any colour problems.

I still get darker prints than the monitor shows though, so I have to read up on colour management.

I used Scott Kelby's book to go through the steps as he was setting up the Epson R2400 printer, the same one I have. The problem I found was that one of the dialogue boxes looked nothing like the one I had up for one particular step. He had a screen grab of it. I did what I thought was as near as his setup but I still got dark printsTongueTongueSad A case of try again, once I can summon up the mental strength to go through all the steps and confusion for yet another time.

I may sell the printer and use a pro service in future.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Aug 2010 - 7:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
29 Aug 2010 - 7:52 PM

Thanks Alan,

I'll try that.

As for prints being darker than the monitor, that's what happens here.
To get a successful print (well, I think it is anyway!) I increase the brightness by moving the slider about half way to the right, save that as a copy and use that copy to print from.
A bit Heath Robinson, I know but it does the trick.

Jester.

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2010 - 7:56 PM

I will have a go at lowering the luminance - just hoped I wouldn't have to, as it is a fiddle. May re-profile the screen first as the profile is probably aging a bit. Also should download the colour management from Firefox if I haven't done so. Have some memory of it, but it may have been the intention rather than the deed, or on a different computer.

I noticed in CS5 today that one of the 'view' options now is 'internet standard RGB (sRGB)'. Will give this a go next time I download something and see if it makes a difference.

BTW in CS5 you have the option to automatically save as sRGB when you save for web, so that streamlines things nicely.

Thanks, all.

Last Modified By SueEley at 29 Aug 2010 - 7:58 PM
Jestertheclown
29 Aug 2010 - 8:01 PM

Quote: BTW in CS5 you have the option to automatically save as sRGB when you save for web

That's what I was advised to do but since I started, I haven't yet uploaded a mod. where there might be a noticeable difference so I'm still waiting.
Jester.

Jestertheclown
9 Sep 2010 - 10:50 PM

It's been a while since I got a chance to upload a mod where there nay have been a difference (I've had a herd of problems on here) but finally, this evening, I did it and using Alan's advice, it looks the same on here as it did in CS5 so "well done and thank you" to Alan for your help.

Jester.

Stubill
Stubill  6107 forum posts England
2 Oct 2010 - 5:21 AM

Quote:

I still get darker prints than the monitor shows though, so I have to read up on colour management.

Alan, do you use 'soft proofing' in photoshop ?
Combined with the ICC profile for you printer/paper combo it will give you a very good representation of how your
print will look. This then allows some final tweaking to get the image how you want before hitting the print button.

Also, one thing to note on the OP. Do make sure, if you are letting photoshop manage the colour when printing, that you have
colour management switched off in your printer. Otherwise you are getting colour management twice which can effect the
outcome quite drastically.

Stu

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.