Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Print paper sizes from D300

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Strobekid
    Strobekid  7369 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Apr 2009 - 8:56 PM

Just a quickie. I'm thinking about finally buying a printer at the moment (probably an Epson R2400), and was costing up the running cost with the paper and ink cost. I've been using online companies to print on 3:2 aspect ratio that D300 has. So, 6x4,9x6, 12x8, 15x10, and so on. Looking online for paper suppliers, all Epson paper seem to be A4, A3, and non of them are 3:2, which means I can't get borderles prints, and I'd be wasting some of the paper every time I print. Should I just print on A4 and A3, and cover the sides with a mount? It will leave uneven borders from the horizontals to verticals. Or should I crop the photo to make it fit perfectly to A4? What do you do?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Apr 2009 - 8:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    16 Apr 2009 - 9:14 PM

I would say that 90% of the pictures I have taken would either benefit from a crop or allow a crop. This means that I can normally find a suitable crop to print at A anything. However I rarely do this borderless as all my pics are framed and require a border for the mat to sit on. Sometimes I laminate pictures for various projects but these are always trimmed square after laminating (roll) so borderless is not required.

It is the picture that determines the final aspect ratio and sometimes this is a square format that is printed and trimmed as needed.

So instead of locking yourself into a fixed size just because it fits the camera aspect ratio start looking at your images and try new sizes.

Printing your own pics will also reduce the number you print, mainly on fiscal grounds. If you get a 2400 then look at the Lyson CIS from Marrutt (I use this) also mentioned in other posts.

justin c
    justin c  104518 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2009 - 9:16 PM

I tend to use A4, A3 and A3+ sized paper and I like to leave an even 2cm margin/border all around the image. This means having to crop a fraction off of the image which I've never found to be a problem.
    If I really didn't want to lose any of the image then I'd just accept unequal margins.
    I don't prnt borderless myself for three reasons; 1) I prefer a plain white border around the image and especially if framing the print as it allows for handling and clearence for attaching the mount.
    2) It wastes ink by overspraying and fills up your inks waste tank prematurely.
    3) It causes head strikes if the paper has the slightest curl to the corners.

Justin.

Strobekid
    Strobekid  7369 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Apr 2009 - 9:46 PM

Right, thanks for the tips, fellas. I never thought about the wasting ink on the edges! Good point. That makes my decision a little easier, then.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.