Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Print preperation

sugarbird 10 223 South Africa
3 Nov 2005 9:32PM
Could someone please advise me on the best way to prepare images to print, not home print, I get my images printed at shop on Fuji Archive paper but am unsure of how exactly to save them for the best results..do I change the dpi to 300, do I change them to TIFF?? In easy english please...I shoot in RAW and in JPEG..these are for an Exhibition so I need the best quality..thanks so much..

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mlewis 10 1.5k United Kingdom
3 Nov 2005 10:24PM
After editing to get the colours how you want them etc I would decide how big you want to print them and then resize them so they print at the required size at 300dpi. Use the RAW file to create the file for printing and do as much editing in 16bit mode as possible to keep the quality.

Then I would sharpen the pictures. How much sharpening is needed might require some experimentation and test prints. You can sharpen them more for printing than for displaying on the web.

Next I would convert the picture to sRGB colourspace, convert the file to 8bit mode, and send the file to the printer. If the printer accepts tiff files you can use that format but a jpg file with not much compression would be fine as well as you won't notice any difference. If sending files over the net use jpg as they are smaller.

This is what I do when sending files to be printed.
sugarbird 10 223 South Africa
3 Nov 2005 11:14PM
Many thanks, that is a great help...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.