Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

print size for competitions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104005 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2014 - 11:25 AM

I've agreed to run a comp in our village and wondered what the normal/best print size for displaying the entries would be? Working on the idea of the winners(s) and short listed being displayed on boards....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Feb 2014 - 11:25 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96236 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2014 - 11:32 AM

If it is mainly for villagers ( not photography club members ) to enter then perhaps the maximum size should, perhaps, not be too large.
Say 10" x 8" ?

Last Modified By JJGEE at 8 Feb 2014 - 11:32 AM
cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104005 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2014 - 11:36 AM

Quote: If it is mainly for villagers ( not photography club members ) to enter then perhaps the maximum size should, perhaps, not be too large.
Say 10" x 8" ?

that was my first thought Smile

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41181 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2014 - 11:41 AM

What is the maximum size that can be printed by local printers?
I'd suggest 10x8 or A4 as a maximum.

Nick

Last Modified By Sooty_1 at 8 Feb 2014 - 11:42 AM
redsnappa
redsnappa  111901 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Feb 2014 - 1:19 PM

I would say A4 as A4 is the most accessible paper size. 10x8 sized paper cannot be easily purchased these days.

Jestertheclown

Which aspect ratio is most likely to be the default on their cameras/mobile phones etc?
If none, or few, of the entrants are likely to be photographers, in the 'enthusiast' sense, then cropping and/or resizing (to A4 in particular) might be an obstacle.
I do agree though that it's the most convenient size for the finished article.

cats_123
8 Feb 2014 - 1:53 PM

The comp is part if an 'inter generational' action day.......so it will be a completely open comp using any media and the finished article will be 'judged' more on meeting the theme than anything else.

just thought it would be better to use a standard format for everyone to view. A4 may be the best option. I'll have to check out some local printers......we will have a very limited budget. Smile

Jestertheclown

Quote: I'll have to check out some local printers

The closest printer to me (for example) charges 6.00 for a single A4 print.
These people, on the other hand, produce A4 prints for 60p. each and I find that their quality's excellent.
You'd then have to cost in p&p of 4.00 but that's still 4.00 regardless of whether you order one, or one thousand prints, meaning that you might have to round up and send all the entries as one but it's a thought.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
cats_123
8 Feb 2014 - 4:42 PM

Quote: I'll have to check out some local printers
The closest printer to me (for example) charges 6.00 for a single A4 print.
These people, on the other hand, produce A4 prints for 60p. each and I find that their quality's excellent.
You'd then have to cost in p&p of 4.00 but that's still 4.00 regardless of whether you order one, or one thousand prints, meaning that you might have to round up and send all the entries as one but it's a thought.

many thanks for that link. Just what I need Smile

jemraid
jemraid  841 forum posts England
8 Feb 2014 - 11:06 PM

If you don't mind glossy paper Aldi is very inexpensive I just got 4 12" x 8" for 2.69 including VAT and postage. They only do a small range of sizes so if you wanted 10" x 8" alter the Canvas Size to 12" x 8" with White as the background colour and trim the print when it arrives.

They use Fuji Crystal Archive paper or the Kodak equivalent and their 12" x 18" prints are 99p each. Their software can be downloaded and they accept PayPal.

When I first started using them I phoned and spoke to a very helpful guy and asked about monitor calibration he said use Calibrize which is free.

Jem

ChiliMan
ChiliMan e2 Member 7135 forum postsChiliMan vcard Singapore17 Constructive Critique Points
9 Feb 2014 - 6:47 AM

For photo competitions which require prints alongside digital files, I've only seen them ask for 8x10s. Not that I've looked at that many competitions or recently even! But 8x10 seems to be the go-to size.

Since cost is an issue, see if it's more viable (depending on volume, of course) using 8x10 or A4.

Just my two cents. Or two suggested sizes, as it were Smile

Andrew

Last Modified By ChiliMan at 9 Feb 2014 - 6:48 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
ChiliMan
ChiliMan e2 Member 7135 forum postsChiliMan vcard Singapore17 Constructive Critique Points
9 Feb 2014 - 6:52 AM

Quote: I would say A4 as A4 is the most accessible paper size. 10x8 sized paper cannot be easily purchased these days.

Yup. That's what I find over here in Singapore too. Which is why any self-printing I do is on A4 'cos I can get it easily. If I'm printing at a minilab, though, 8x10 ain't a problem.

cats_123
9 Feb 2014 - 9:16 AM

Thanks, everyone...cost will be an issue and it will have to be ither online or a local print job....unfortunately Aldi haven't reached these shores yet Smile

Plenty to talk about when I meet our village committee GrinGrin

alansnap
alansnap e2 Member 10528 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
9 Feb 2014 - 12:24 PM

Hi, remember that what you set as the maximum size is just that, so smaller sizes are acceptable and you should state that clearly in the rules. In any community competition you'll get a mix of people who will print at home and others who will buy from a shop, so the easiest is to set a maximum size that any home printer can get easel. So A4 as the maximum size means home printers won't have to faff around cutting down larger bits of paper while you don't rule anyone else out.
Next question is - do you want them mounted or unmounted? For a community competition I'd suggest you go for unmounted and then you can display them as you like.
Are you going to stipulate that prints won't be returned? If you do, you can laminate the prints and then displaying in any community space becomes easy. This isn't unusual and is of the essence of community competitions, as you can pass the prints around local halls and pubs etc to get maximum exposure. Between venues or even every day laminated prints can be wiped down after local punters have pawed them.
Good luck,
Alan

tripodted
tripodted e2 Member 930 forum poststripodted vcard Northern Ireland1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Feb 2014 - 1:23 PM

Hi Jeff
I use DSCL for most of my prints for the (Northern Irish Photographic Association) NIPA competitions and find they are good and usually deliver very quickly usually 2-3 days. You could also try Harvey Norman. I have used them too and they are quite good. A lot of people in the camera club circles would use these two companies for the NIPA competitions.
Also for NIPA competitions we have a maximum size of 20cm x 30cm for the mount, the most common sizes of print used would be 10in x 8in, 12in x 8in,and A4.
I hope this of help to you.

Ted Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.