Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Printer Headache

SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
24 Nov 2012 12:04PM
I have a Canon MG6150 A4 printer. I'm having bad trouble with ink usage. Here are the settings for my printer on 19th April this year.

img-0843-resized.jpg

I hardly print anything and since that date I've printed 13 full A4 colour, 7 b/w A4 prints and 7 text document pages. Every time I turn the printer on it goes through a lengthy cleaning process and today I went to do another A4 colour print and had to replace the Grey and Large Black cartridges and the colours were nearly all empty.

Can anyone throw any light on this at all? I'm tearing my hair out and the printer's going in the bin soon. I have looked through the manual but can't see anywhere in Troubleshooting or any other menu how to stop it self-cleaning or how to optimise ink usage.

Thank you.
xxx

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_H e2
11 1.5k 1
24 Nov 2012 1:49PM
Some printers will flush away lots of ink when they haven't been used for a while. This helps clean the heads as if not the ink will dry and go gunky which could cause issues.

Although the other thing to remember is the ink cartridges in your printer are going to be really small so you probably will find you wont be able to print too many full colour A4 pages anyway.
24 Nov 2012 2:41PM
I believe the cartridges only contain 9 ml of ink - that isn't going to go far when printing full size A4.

Would it save ink if you could stack your printing into fewer sessions and hence cut out some of the cleaning cycles?
Hugo e2
9 647 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2012 3:14PM
Sorry but I don't think inkjets are worth the hassle... Unless you print a lot and have a continuous ink system

Have your prints done at a lab somewhere like Photobox - it's not too costly.
If you need to print documents at home buy a cheap laser printer.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
24 Nov 2012 3:53PM
I'm beginning to think you're all correct. I'll use the rest of the original inks then just get compatibles for non-photo or unimportant images.
cheers.
x
Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2012 5:38PM
The only problem with that is you won't be able to change inks if you want to print something photographic. If you change the cartridges, they will have to charge the heads and waste ink every time, and there will always be some residual ink which might have different properties.

Better to stick to one type and find a setup that works. Don't know if your printer accepts them, but continuous ink kits might be better.

Nick
24 Nov 2012 5:54PM
could leave it on in stand by save all the start up useage
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
24 Nov 2012 6:51PM

Quote:could leave it on in stand by save all the start up useage

I used to do that but it kept turning itself off. Don't know why.

Quote:continuous ink kits might be better.

I had those in the Epson but the head clogged up because I didn't use the printer enough and the tanks got in the way.

Sorry, not being all negative. I think I'll just use compatible inks and get any photos printed by proper printers. It's going to be cheaper in the long run as a set of inks costs over 60. Outrageous.
davereet e2
10 222 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2012 7:02PM
Hi
have you got profiles for your brand of paper.
If you have not and you are letting the printer use its own generic profiles it will use more ink than using paper profiles and Photoshop or Lightroom to manage colours.
It is in the printer manufacturers interest as they sell more cartridges that way.
You will get better prints as well.

Printing is a minefield and is very frustrating but if you can get your head round it all, it is very satisfying when you get it right.
Best of luck

Dave
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
24 Nov 2012 7:12PM
It's not profiles. Just the constant cleaning it does automatically. Sad
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
24 Nov 2012 8:39PM

Quote:I used to do that but it kept turning itself off. Don't know why.

You can set the time before the printer switches itself off via the printer properties. It's generally not a good idea to leave them constantly switched on because switching them off allows the print head to park itself properly, minimizing the chance of blocked nozzles. At least that certainly applies to the Epson printers, I assume it's also applicable to Canon printers too.
25 Nov 2012 5:16AM
Op ... Have you thought of getting a very cheap and incredibly economical, great quality, colour laser printer. Mine is a year and a half old and is on he first set of toners, produces great sharp colour images on the dirt cheapest paper (not for customers of course) and has given me loads of text/photo Word doc prints .. And loads of a4 crisp colour prints. If I want a quality a4 + I get it done dirt cheap at a lab. I bought the printer and 4 sets of genuine toner for 120 and it seems my toner will last me about 6 years. No blockages, banding, nozzle cleaning waste etc etc etc ... It's been 18months of bliss. The last inkjet I used dumped about 40 of ink cleaning several blocked nozzles before it badly printed by college work. It really is no contest from my experience. Lasers aren't ideal for everything tho ... They usually are a4 and I have to admit the black could be slightly darker but overall it's saved (and will save in the future) an absolute fortune and stress.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
25 Nov 2012 10:50AM

Quote:the black could be slightly darker
Perhaps that varies with makes/models. It's certainly important to have good blacks especially as I do like to do b/w prints.

I think perhaps if I just run a page through the Canon once a week using all the colours and that might keep the nozzles clear. I'll try that and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Smile
26 Nov 2012 2:05AM
Slow song - don't get me wrong, it isn't suitable for proper prints ... They aren't as good, but for basic image examples for people or for office printing .. I just get proper prints done in a lab for pennies. TBH I bought a R2880 A3+ 2 years ago and have not used it at all for photo prints .. A few office printouts, now the inks are low so I have 110 of ink to put in but just haven't bothered. I know that changing the two low inks will deplete the othes and so a couple more will be immediately low, and changing them will deplete another couple ... So I will chase my tail till they are all replaced with no actual prints ... costing a lot in wasted ink. Obviously the first two inks changed will have been recharged 3 or 4 times before even using them ... and so on. Best bet would be to just take all the ink out (even the ones not showing as low) and putting the full new set in - its an awful expensive waste. One idea would be if you could charge individual inks.

Good luck sorting out your situation ...
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
26 Nov 2012 10:24AM
Thanks Paul. It's a minefield. I have in the past just left the empty ink cartridges in and printed regardless (not photos) but I don't seem to be able to do that with this printer. These inks companies really do have us over a barrel don't they - I'll not buy another home ink printer when this one wears out so I'll bear lasers in mind.
Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.