Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Printer Profiles in CS4

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Sylviwhalley
    Sylviwhalley e2 Member 797 forum postsSylviwhalley vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Aug 2009 - 7:22 PM

Help please. I'm printing with an Epson Stylus Photo R265, using Epson inks and paper, I am not able to get the reds correct, they come out more pink or magenta in my prints the other colours are fine and I've callibrated my monitor. I've been reading up on printer profiles and wonder if when I go to print in CS4, using "Photoshop manages colours" if I have the correct Printer profile eg "working RGB-sRGB IEC61966-2,1" if this is not correct which one should I use. I use the relative colourmetric setting with black point compensation on. I'd be very grateful for any help with this. I'm so far pleased with the printer and have not had any problems, and am reluctant to change it.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Aug 2009 - 7:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73878 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Aug 2009 - 7:44 PM

Goto File>print with Preview.
    Then select "let PS determine colours"
    Select the profile for the printer (the one supplied by the printer Mfr or one you have profiled yourself"

Relative colourmetric (with black point compensation ticked).

Then on printer goto printer props select correct paper type then (and this is where I think you have the problem) click on ICM then off (no colour adjustment).

A more detailed account of how to do it is here

HTH

P.S The sRGB is the monitor profile you need to select this in the Print document sector. What it does is map the colour space from your monitors to that of the printer. Oh if your doing your own printing your better using AdobeRGB or ProphotoRGB as these have a wider gamut (more colour tones). Particularly in the reds and greens.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 21 Aug 2009 - 7:47 PM
    stevekhart
    21 Aug 2009 - 8:00 PM

You could also take a look at Epson's print guide (don't worry it's fairly generic guidance for all epson printers)

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Aug 2009 - 9:22 PM

Sylvia, sRGB is a working space, or to put it another way - a device-independent ICC profile. That being the case, it is neither a monitor profile nor a printer profile, but should appear next to print>document under 'Print with Preview' as Nick says.

Next to 'Printer Profile' should be the profile which defines your printer/ink/paper combination. Ideally you should be using this beforehand to 'softproof' in CS4 - in other words to preview what the final print will look like.

You can even convert the sRGB file to the printer profile once you've finished editing, and then switch colour management off altogether (as no further conversion would then take place). You'd ideally make a copy of the file to do that - as you obviously don't want to permanently chuck data away.

But you do need to softproof on a calibrated monitor with either method if you want to better predict the results.

Sylviwhalley
    Sylviwhalley e2 Member 797 forum postsSylviwhalley vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2009 - 11:50 AM

Thanks very much for the suggestions I'll have a go.
    Sylvia

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.