Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Printer recommendations please


Lulu01 5 156
13 Jan 2013 11:24AM
My old HP printer is on it's last legs and I would like to buy a new one, but I'm getting a bit boggled by all the bells and whistles on printers these days!

In brief, I want a good 'basic' printer for text and images, ie I don't particularly need an all in one as I have an excellent scanner/copier, plus I'm not a big fan of them (when one thing breaks, you've lost everything). I also don't need to have card readers, touch screens, air printing etc as I download everything to my pc and process/print images from there.

I've used HP and Canon historically and prefer them to Epson etc. I would like to have a minimum of two cartridges, ie Black and tri colour, but would be happy to buy something with individual colour cartridges. A3 would be nice, but not necessary.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
13 Jan 2013 11:49AM
I can only recommend what I have direct experience of. For the past year and a bit I have been using the Epson R3000 and find it to be absolutely excellent. Prior to that I used the Epson R1900 which was very good but, for monochrome prints, I get a bit of extra edge with the R3000's "three shades of black" cartridges.

My wife uses an Epson SX535WD which is much smaller and cheaper and she finds it good for her purposes (but it certainly would not print exhibition-quality photographs).

It really is "horses for courses" but, having in the past used HP and Canon printers, my vote goes to Epson every time. Other will, no doubt, have completely different experiences.

For normal (non-photographic) printing I use a very cheap DCP-7055 laser printer.

.
Eastlands e2
4 684 3 Northern Ireland
13 Jan 2013 12:03PM
My standard response is avoid Kodak printers like the plague, stick to HP and you can't go wrong.
crookymonsta e2
6 704 10 England
13 Jan 2013 12:03PM
We are using an Epson R2880 with a Lyson continuous ink system, very economical! Judges have expressly commented on the quality of our prints in club competitions.
Lulu01 5 156
13 Jan 2013 12:16PM

Quote:My standard response is avoid Kodak printers like the plague, stick to HP and you can't go wrong.


I know exactly what you mean re Kodak!
Lulu01 5 156
13 Jan 2013 12:17PM

Quote:I can only recommend what I have direct experience of. For the past year and a bit I have been using the Epson R3000 and find it to be absolutely excellent. Prior to that I used the Epson R1900 which was very good but, for monochrome prints, I get a bit of extra edge with the R3000's "three shades of black" cartridges.

My wife uses an Epson SX535WD which is much smaller and cheaper and she finds it good for her purposes (but it certainly would not print exhibition-quality photographs).

It really is "horses for courses" but, having in the past used HP and Canon printers, my vote goes to Epson every time. Other will, no doubt, have completely different experiences.

For normal (non-photographic) printing I use a very cheap DCP-7055 laser printer.

.



Thanks, LeftForum. I'll look into the printers you've mentioned.
Lulu01 5 156
13 Jan 2013 12:18PM

Quote:We are using an Epson R2880 with a Lyson continuous ink system, very economical! Judges have expressly commented on the quality of our prints in club competitions.


Thanks Crookymonsta. I've not heard of a continuous ink system so will look it up!
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2013 12:31PM
Another vote for the Epson R3000.

I made the switch to it from my HP9180 after reviewing it against the HP and the Canon 9500mk2 for EPZ

I use it primarily for my sales prints and competition stuff, mainly on fine art papers but also some of the better lustre papers.

Solid as a rock performance, no significant blockages and only had to carry out 2 cleaning cycles (in over a year's use) to remove the early signs of tramlining from a few individual nozzles beginning to block

I prefer the colours from it compared to the 9180 (and so do my customers Smile )
Lulu01 5 156
13 Jan 2013 12:43PM
I've just been looking at the Epson R3000 and can see why you like it. It looks to be a super printer and gets very good reviews.

I perhaps should have said that my budget is up to about 150! That said, I generally get my photographs printed elsewhere. Maybe I should invest in the Epson!!

Just off to have a look at the SX535WD and R2880 ...
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
13 Jan 2013 1:09PM
Have tried both Canon and HP before I bought the R2880 (on offer, the 3000 was on the way in to the stores, so space was needed) and have nothing but positive things to say about it. As previously mentioned, the '3 blacks' give excellent results for b&w images.

Malc
Lulu01 5 156
13 Jan 2013 1:25PM

Quote:Have tried both Canon and HP before I bought the R2880 (on offer, the 3000 was on the way in to the stores, so space was needed) and have nothing but positive things to say about it. As previously mentioned, the '3 blacks' give excellent results for b&w images.

Malc



Thanks saltireblue. I checked out the R2880 and it looks like another good printer, with excellent reviews, if not a little out of my budget.
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
13 Jan 2013 1:30PM
We've used an Advent (PC World) with wi-fi for a couple of years now, and it's performed well. It photocopies and scans (no OCR) too. It uses kodak colour technology.

I don't do a lot of home image printing, but what I had done has looked pretty good to me. It takes a Black & a Colour Cartridge...the only drawback is that you are tied to PC World/Currys for replacment cartridges (hope they don't go bust!! Grin)
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
13 Jan 2013 2:37PM
I'd avoid the Canon MG range if I were you. I bought one to replace an old Canon printer but the newer ones have the chipped ink cartridges which self-clean to such an extent that you'll waste at least half a cartridge of ink every time you turn it on. And you can't turn the cleaning off either so you're stuck. I'll not buy another one and when my current set of inks runs out I'm binning it.

If anyone knows a good printer which doesn't self clean and waste ink in such a criminal way I'd be most interested.
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2013 2:48PM
Taking account of you budget have a look at something like this la-Paper+and+Printing+%3E+Printers%7Ctsid:22005%7Cmt:{MatchType}%7Ccrid:17599834457&gclid=CN3StbfJ5bQCFW_KtAodFTwAyw" rel="nofollow" target="blank">canon A3 . Someone in our club has one and gets suprisingly good results from it
Lulu01 5 156
13 Jan 2013 2:55PM

Quote:I'd avoid the Canon MG range if I were you. I bought one to replace an old Canon printer but the newer ones have the chipped ink cartridges which self-clean to such an extent that you'll waste at least half a cartridge of ink every time you turn it on. And you can't turn the cleaning off either so you're stuck. I'll not buy another one and when my current set of inks runs out I'm binning it.

If anyone knows a good printer which doesn't self clean and waste ink in such a criminal way I'd be most interested.



Funnily enough, I've just been looking at the MG range and so many reviews mentioned self clean, and how much ink it wastes. I wonder if it's a deliberate ploy on the part of Canon so you buy more inks?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.