Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Printer recommendations please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Lulu01
Lulu01  5156 forum posts
13 Jan 2013 - 11:24 AM

My old HP printer is on it's last legs and I would like to buy a new one, but I'm getting a bit boggled by all the bells and whistles on printers these days!

In brief, I want a good 'basic' printer for text and images, ie I don't particularly need an all in one as I have an excellent scanner/copier, plus I'm not a big fan of them (when one thing breaks, you've lost everything). I also don't need to have card readers, touch screens, air printing etc as I download everything to my pc and process/print images from there.

I've used HP and Canon historically and prefer them to Epson etc. I would like to have a minimum of two cartridges, ie Black and tri colour, but would be happy to buy something with individual colour cartridges. A3 would be nice, but not necessary.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Jan 2013 - 11:24 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
13 Jan 2013 - 11:49 AM

I can only recommend what I have direct experience of. For the past year and a bit I have been using the Epson R3000 and find it to be absolutely excellent. Prior to that I used the Epson R1900 which was very good but, for monochrome prints, I get a bit of extra edge with the R3000's "three shades of black" cartridges.

My wife uses an Epson SX535WD which is much smaller and cheaper and she finds it good for her purposes (but it certainly would not print exhibition-quality photographs).

It really is "horses for courses" but, having in the past used HP and Canon printers, my vote goes to Epson every time. Other will, no doubt, have completely different experiences.

For normal (non-photographic) printing I use a very cheap DCP-7055 laser printer.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Jan 2013 - 11:53 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3653 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 12:03 PM

My standard response is avoid Kodak printers like the plague, stick to HP and you can't go wrong.

crookymonsta
crookymonsta e2 Member 6704 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 12:03 PM

We are using an Epson R2880 with a Lyson continuous ink system, very economical! Judges have expressly commented on the quality of our prints in club competitions.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Lulu01
Lulu01  5156 forum posts
13 Jan 2013 - 12:16 PM

Quote: My standard response is avoid Kodak printers like the plague, stick to HP and you can't go wrong.

I know exactly what you mean re Kodak!

Lulu01
Lulu01  5156 forum posts
13 Jan 2013 - 12:17 PM

Quote: I can only recommend what I have direct experience of. For the past year and a bit I have been using the Epson R3000 and find it to be absolutely excellent. Prior to that I used the Epson R1900 which was very good but, for monochrome prints, I get a bit of extra edge with the R3000's "three shades of black" cartridges.

My wife uses an Epson SX535WD which is much smaller and cheaper and she finds it good for her purposes (but it certainly would not print exhibition-quality photographs).

It really is "horses for courses" but, having in the past used HP and Canon printers, my vote goes to Epson every time. Other will, no doubt, have completely different experiences.

For normal (non-photographic) printing I use a very cheap DCP-7055 laser printer.

Thanks, LeftForum. I'll look into the printers you've mentioned.

Lulu01
Lulu01  5156 forum posts
13 Jan 2013 - 12:18 PM

Quote: We are using an Epson R2880 with a Lyson continuous ink system, very economical! Judges have expressly commented on the quality of our prints in club competitions.

Thanks Crookymonsta. I've not heard of a continuous ink system so will look it up!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 12:31 PM

Another vote for the Epson R3000.

I made the switch to it from my HP9180 after reviewing it against the HP and the Canon 9500mk2 for EPZ

I use it primarily for my sales prints and competition stuff, mainly on fine art papers but also some of the better lustre papers.

Solid as a rock performance, no significant blockages and only had to carry out 2 cleaning cycles (in over a year's use) to remove the early signs of tramlining from a few individual nozzles beginning to block

I prefer the colours from it compared to the 9180 (and so do my customers Smile )

Lulu01
Lulu01  5156 forum posts
13 Jan 2013 - 12:43 PM

I've just been looking at the Epson R3000 and can see why you like it. It looks to be a super printer and gets very good reviews.

I perhaps should have said that my budget is up to about 150! That said, I generally get my photographs printed elsewhere. Maybe I should invest in the Epson!!

Just off to have a look at the SX535WD and R2880 ...

Last Modified By Lulu01 at 13 Jan 2013 - 12:48 PM
saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 44028 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 1:09 PM

Have tried both Canon and HP before I bought the R2880 (on offer, the 3000 was on the way in to the stores, so space was needed) and have nothing but positive things to say about it. As previously mentioned, the '3 blacks' give excellent results for b&w images.

Malc

Lulu01
Lulu01  5156 forum posts
13 Jan 2013 - 1:25 PM

Quote: Have tried both Canon and HP before I bought the R2880 (on offer, the 3000 was on the way in to the stores, so space was needed) and have nothing but positive things to say about it. As previously mentioned, the '3 blacks' give excellent results for b&w images.

Malc

Thanks saltireblue. I checked out the R2880 and it looks like another good printer, with excellent reviews, if not a little out of my budget.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104029 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 1:30 PM

We've used an Advent (PC World) with wi-fi for a couple of years now, and it's performed well. It photocopies and scans (no OCR) too. It uses kodak colour technology.

I don't do a lot of home image printing, but what I had done has looked pretty good to me. It takes a Black & a Colour Cartridge...the only drawback is that you are tied to PC World/Currys for replacment cartridges (hope they don't go bust!! Grin)

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64533 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 2:37 PM

I'd avoid the Canon MG range if I were you. I bought one to replace an old Canon printer but the newer ones have the chipped ink cartridges which self-clean to such an extent that you'll waste at least half a cartridge of ink every time you turn it on. And you can't turn the cleaning off either so you're stuck. I'll not buy another one and when my current set of inks runs out I'm binning it.

If anyone knows a good printer which doesn't self clean and waste ink in such a criminal way I'd be most interested.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 2:48 PM

Taking account of you budget have a look at something like this la-Paper+and+Printing+%3E+Printers%7Ctsid:22005%7Cmt:{MatchType}%7Ccrid:17599834457&gclid=CN3StbfJ5bQCFW_KtAodFTwAyw" target="blank">canon A3. Someone in our club has one and gets suprisingly good results from it

Lulu01
Lulu01  5156 forum posts
13 Jan 2013 - 2:55 PM

Quote: I'd avoid the Canon MG range if I were you. I bought one to replace an old Canon printer but the newer ones have the chipped ink cartridges which self-clean to such an extent that you'll waste at least half a cartridge of ink every time you turn it on. And you can't turn the cleaning off either so you're stuck. I'll not buy another one and when my current set of inks runs out I'm binning it.

If anyone knows a good printer which doesn't self clean and waste ink in such a criminal way I'd be most interested.

Funnily enough, I've just been looking at the MG range and so many reviews mentioned self clean, and how much ink it wastes. I wonder if it's a deliberate ploy on the part of Canon so you buy more inks?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.