Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Printer wont work with non epson ink

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Colin Smale
28 Dec 2010 - 1:02 PM

SX115 Epson printer, just for document printing. Just bought my first new (black) ink for it and it wont accept it at all. I was told it would accept non epson inks. Any idea how I can get round this ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Dec 2010 - 1:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
28 Dec 2010 - 1:17 PM

....I just unclip the cartridges and re-insert....works for me.
......I don't know if this will work with the newer models.
.....Mike

MikeA
MikeA  91150 forum posts England
28 Dec 2010 - 1:57 PM

Buy Epson inks, problem sorted.

MikeRC
28 Dec 2010 - 2:09 PM

Quote: Buy Epson inks, problem sorted

Oh silly me....I didn't read the question properly...what'm I like Smile

.....Mike

thewilliam
28 Dec 2010 - 3:00 PM

Printer makers have a strong incentive to prevent the use of third-party inks, so no dirty trick would surprise me.

One friend found that his Epson printer simply stopped working when he inserted a non-Epson cartridge but started again when replace by a real Epson cartridge. We use a CISS in an Epson R285 and it stops when a cartridge-woth of ink has been used. The cartridge cluster has to be removed and the printer re-started before printing can resume.

collywobles
28 Dec 2010 - 5:08 PM

I just find it incomprehensible why anyone would use non proprietory ink or anything else come whether it be lenses, flashguns inks etc...... other than the correct brand the eqipmwnt was designed for.

We (photographers) spend thousands on our equipment and then many try to short cut it using non proprietory accesories. I know they tend to be expensive but common sense should prevail. Colin

going_digital
28 Dec 2010 - 5:22 PM

Quote: I just find it incomprehensible why anyone would use non proprietory ink or anything else come whether it be lenses, flashguns inks etc...... other than the correct brand the eqipmwnt was designed for.

We (photographers) spend thousands on our equipment and then many try to short cut it using non proprietory accesories. I know they tend to be expensive but common sense should prevail. Colin

What an incredible attitude, you must be a manufacturers wet dream. There are many reasons why you would buy third party equipment instead of the original, in the case of ink not everyone wants to pay more per litre of ink than it costs to buy champagne, obviously you are happy to be taken for a ride by manufacturers who sell a basic ink cartridge for way more than it is worth. Black ink is black ink, we are not talking about getting perfect colour fidelity here we are talking about printing out documents. So why pay up to 20x the price you need to just to print a few words on some office paper ???

But it is not even just about price it is about choice, sometimes 3rd parties offer products that are not available from the original manufacturer simply because the demand is not there for mass production. Also often products are better than the original making a better project, a Ziess lens for example will give you far better results than any lens made by a camera manufacturer, why on earth would anyone buy one of those ? Perhaps Ziess should just shut up shop and advise customers to buy the same make lans as their camera. Tsk!

MikeRC
28 Dec 2010 - 5:26 PM

Quote: I just find it incomprehensible why anyone would use non proprietory ink or anything else come whether it be lenses, flashguns inks etc...... other than the correct brand the eqipmwnt was designed for.

....what gives you the right to criticise other people ?
....the OP said it was just for documents, I gather he has another printer he uses for photographs.
I myself don't use Epson inks when I print out lots of photos before throwing most of them away....what good are they ?

...you'd do well to mind your own Smile

Colin Smale
28 Dec 2010 - 5:28 PM

My mate always says "NEVER ASSUME" COLLYWOBBLES or do you prefer the misspelled "wobles"? Did you not notice this in my message "just for document printing" ???
You waste your 'valuable' time sniping at my question and ASSUME I do not use genuine Epson inks for all my other Photographic printing on my Epson R1800 printer !!
We 'real' photographers have learned to notice detail, when you mature and become observant, then you may become a 'real' photographer, meanwhile, aren't you missing the Simpsons or Blue Peter?

thewilliam
28 Dec 2010 - 5:40 PM

To add to the previous posts, my choice of ink is a business decision.

We've only ever used the genuine Epson ink in our 7800, partly because we sell the prints that it produces and we're uncompromising about the quality of our work. We also won't risk wrecking a printer that cost about 2k and the cartridges do hold a respectable 220ml of ink.

We have an Epson 285 in the office that was fitted with CISS because the running cost was nothing short of riduculous. A set of cartridges costs about 60% more than we paid for the printer. Each cartridge holds just 7ml of ink and is declared to be empty when still part-full. It seemed that we changed a cartridge for every second page of printing

When it comes to optics, the only non-proprietory lens that we use with the Nikons is a Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar and that isn't exactly penny-pinching. Our Hasselblads came equipped with Zeiss, so they're a known brand. Our Metz flashguns are every bit as good as the camera-maker's own.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 28 Dec 2010 - 5:41 PM
CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111515 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2010 - 5:59 PM

Quote: I just find it incomprehensible why anyone would use non proprietory ink or anything else

I have, for the first time, just purchased two complete sets of compatible inks for my four year old Epson R800 printer at a total cost of just under 55. To purchase two sets of the genuine inks would have cost me about 300 or more.

Part of the reason I do not do much home printing is because of the high price of genuine inks. For any half decent images I want printing I send them to DS Colour labs for enlargement anyway, I don't believe I can print an A3 for any cheaper than they cost to print for me. (Part of the reason I have refrained from buying an A3 printer).

So it seems incomprehensible to me that I shouldn't explore this cheaper avenue. I will give them a try and if they are ok I will continue to use them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Colin Smale
28 Dec 2010 - 7:44 PM

As a matter of fact I am going same way as 'thatbloke' and many other 'serious photographers' when it comes to getting my larger prints done. Good quality prints can be had at no more than the cost of printing them at home and without all the hassle. Epson is about to see the bottom drop out of their greedy inks as more and more people see the light.
I absolutely did not want to get prints done by 'others' but the advantages far outweigh home printing and if I just want some sample 6" x 4" done they are pennies.
Does make you wonder doesn't it. When my R1800 inks run out I doubt I will buy more. Wink Meanwhile, getting back to my original question.... anyone know a way around this, PC World told me it takes compatable inks.

User_Removed
28 Dec 2010 - 8:09 PM

Re-insert.

Sometimes the chips on the 3rd party inks can just be bad. Check which colour it is failing on and just replace it.

We get about 1 in 100 where the chip just inst recognised, but the unit itself looks fine on the inks from jet-tec.

Colin Smale
28 Dec 2010 - 8:57 PM

Hmmm, that doesn't work so maybe Tesco will replace the cartridge. Incidentally, just in case our friend collywobles pops up again about 'hassle' I have had problems with Epson cartridges too so it's not just down to 'cheap' cartridges, I even had an epson cartridge that had been filled with wrong colour. Each cartridge is unique design to its colour and a yellow won't fit into a red for example so....Ho hum

f8
f8  109169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2010 - 11:31 AM

Try Jetec, they are compatible. I have used them for years.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.