Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Printing 18in x 12in

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    rickie
    rickie e2 Member 998 forum postsrickie vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Aug 2010 - 4:48 PM

Can someone please tell me the dpi needed for an 18x12in print from a 1d mk11n as i think it is less than 300dpi.
    Thanks.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Aug 2010 - 4:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Aug 2010 - 5:55 PM

It depends who's printing it and on what printer. The optimum dpi depends on the make of printer, Epson's work best with 360dpi, Canon's prefer 300dpi. Printing labs will generally advise on the optimum settings.

Last Modified By justin c at 6 Aug 2010 - 5:55 PM
    arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72277 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Aug 2010 - 5:58 PM

194.6dpi based on 3504(divided by 18) x 2336(divided by 12).

GHGraham
    GHGraham  4 Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Aug 2010 - 8:48 AM

The only thing that matters is the distance between the viewer and the image. For example, an HD TV only has 1,080 horizontal scan lines of resolution regardless of size yet people buy 40, 50 or even 60 inch sets. The larger they are, the lower the resolution but they tend to be viewed from a longer distance so it doesn't matter so much.

I regularly print images 60" x 40" from a full frame DSLR with a pixel count of only 3,744 x 5,616 using a Durst Lambda, yet the image quality is excellent; no pixelation and no noise. The images are crisp & sharp and when viewed from even a few feet away look even better.

So called experts would say that the limit of a print from a full frame DSLR is only 12" x 18" at 300 DPI. This is rubbish and only serves retailers who are interested in selling mega pixel upgrades all day long.

Photos are ordinarily viewed at a distance equal to the length of their diagonal so a 60 x 40 image would be viewed from at least 5ft away.

A 12 x 18 image would be viewed from around 20 inches minimum.

If the viewing distance is further then you can reduce the resolution of the print and the viewer would be none the wiser.

Rembrandt, Monet, Da Vinci et al painted with very poor resolution compared to a TV or a camera but no one discusses that because that's not important.

It's the effect that matters.

rickie
    rickie e2 Member 998 forum postsrickie vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Aug 2010 - 11:05 PM

ok thanks everyone

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.