Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Prints for competitions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Stuarty
    Stuarty  9122 forum posts England
    12 Oct 2007 - 10:21 AM

Whilst many comps take uploaded or CD images now, are there any guidelines for A4 prints? That is, is it better to print borderless - larger picture, or put an effective border to increase impact, but this reduces the image size. I appreciate it may just come down to judgement/personal choice but is there a general rule on this?
    My inclination is to put a border around the shot, but do not want to irritate the judges and reduce my chances even further.

Stuart

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Oct 2007 - 10:21 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Oct 2007 - 11:22 AM

When I've submitted images, like last year to AP, I printed the image 9in x 6in on an A4 piece of paper. The rest was left as a white border.

It is just down to presenting the image as you want it. However, when it comes to borders, very few magazines would consider them part of the image, unless it is a digital mag and they add to the impact. Like where the image bleeds out through the border, so they would be likely to remove them for reproduction purposes.

Take a look at the images in the monthly comps in Photography Monthly, Practical Photography or Amateur Photographer, don't remember seeing any with borders.

HTH

Stuarty
    Stuarty  9122 forum posts England
    12 Oct 2007 - 6:49 PM

Many thanks for your help. I guess an inch border displays the image as well as anything and nothing superfluous to the image to distract/irritate.

Stuart

kaybee
    kaybee  103767 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Oct 2007 - 9:07 PM

Surely it depends on who is running the competition and their published 'rules'.
    National/international will want them mounted on board

Hoffy
    Hoffy  9212 forum posts England16 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Oct 2007 - 10:40 PM

Kaybee is right. I enter comps all over the world.

If you are entering magazine comps, print on A4 paper either borderless or with an even white border. Don't do anything that distracts from the image.

I also add a 5 pixel stroke around the image.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.