Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Prints too dark - what a muppet

kit-monster e2
11 3.7k 2 Singapore
9 Mar 2008 10:23PM
I'm referring to myself . . . I think it's been well over a year since I've printed a single image that has come out right. Everything used to be perfect . . . then I bought a new monitor. I've just discovered I was repeatedly missing an import part of the calibration process - setting the brightness. I'm not sure how I managed to repeatedly miss this step, but I did. Even after asking for help here. My monitor was blazing out a whopping 480 cd/m2 rather than the recommended 120 - 140. It wasn't until I read "The art of raw conversion" by Uwe Steinmueller and Jurgen Gulbins that has a chapter on colour management and I spotted screen shots of the software I use. And it should a bit I had never seen before. I'm so ashamed . . . I felt it only right to publicly humiliate myself.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2008 8:42AM
Don't worry - easy done I'd say - the process of colour callibration and print profiles can be a dark art. The use of tools such as Spyder and Huey help tremendously, but theres still plenty of room for error. I still remember ploughing through my monitors handbook trying to find out if it was back lit...

Adam
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2008 9:16AM
A bit of self-flagellation never hurt no-one Edward! Smile

I think that forgetting to set the brightness must be one of the primary causes of non-WYSIWWYG printing.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.