Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Prints too dark - what a muppet

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kit-monster
    kit-monster e2 Member 113685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Mar 2008 - 10:23 PM

I'm referring to myself . . . I think it's been well over a year since I've printed a single image that has come out right. Everything used to be perfect . . . then I bought a new monitor. I've just discovered I was repeatedly missing an import part of the calibration process - setting the brightness. I'm not sure how I managed to repeatedly miss this step, but I did. Even after asking for help here. My monitor was blazing out a whopping 480 cd/m2 rather than the recommended 120 - 140. It wasn't until I read "The art of raw conversion" by Uwe Steinmueller and Jurgen Gulbins that has a chapter on colour management and I spotted screen shots of the software I use. And it should a bit I had never seen before. I'm so ashamed . . . I felt it only right to publicly humiliate myself.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Mar 2008 - 10:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82324 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2008 - 8:42 AM

Don't worry - easy done I'd say - the process of colour callibration and print profiles can be a dark art. The use of tools such as Spyder and Huey help tremendously, but theres still plenty of room for error. I still remember ploughing through my monitors handbook trying to find out if it was back lit...

Adam

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2008 - 9:16 AM

A bit of self-flagellation never hurt no-one Edward! Smile

I think that forgetting to set the brightness must be one of the primary causes of non-WYSIWWYG printing.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.