Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Prioritising

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2010 - 5:00 PM

Need some help to prioritise a load of things I need/want to do!

How do others prioritise all these opportunities in life?

Do I prioritise on what might make money? Or things I might enjoy? Or skills for the future?

At the moment the problem is I am flitting from one thing to another and getting nowhere with any of them. So any techniques or ideas to decide what I should focus on most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Aug 2010 - 5:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
18 Aug 2010 - 5:22 PM

Boston box;

1. urgent but not important | 2. urgent and important
--------------------------------------------------------------
3. not urgent, not important | 4. important but not urgent

Divvy up all the things you've got to do and put them into the relevant quadrant.
Prioritise the list within each quadrant. Do 2 then 4 then 1 then 3. Redo the
plan each morning.

Plenty of tea breaks Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 18 Aug 2010 - 5:22 PM
csurry
18 Aug 2010 - 5:36 PM

Thanks Chris, that's the kind of thing. I guess the real problem is none are urgent, not a matter of life and death, just ideas of things to do/try/new directions, but I'll give that a go. Anyone got ideas to split 3 in to further segments Wink As I think that is where most fall.

User_Removed
18 Aug 2010 - 5:41 PM

If you're a 'rewards afterwards' kind of person (and I think you probably are otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question) then line up something that really interests you but bag a couple of chores first to justify the treats later.

If you're a 'rewards first' kind of person then simply go straight to the one that interests you the most.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85912 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 7:40 PM

Hi Cheryl,
Though item 2 requires the input of item 1, it is not a total requirement.
Do the things that you enjoy (item 2), while you have the fitness and health to do so.
It is no good looking back and thinking "if only"
Regarding skills for the future, from what I have deduced from meeting you on several occasions, all you need to do is follow what takes your whim.
As far as I can see , you are a very intelligent person, who would/could easily adapt to most/if not all challenges placed at your feet.

Adrian

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 8:06 PM

Quite simply Cheryl

If you have enough cash to follow your dreams as a wildlife tog then stop analysing stuff and get on with it Wink

RogBrown
RogBrown  73002 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 8:22 PM

You're only on this world for a short time. Just make sure you're earning enough to live on then do what you enjoy. Don't put it off till you're too old to do it.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014713 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 9:06 PM

Cheryl, a few years ago when I first read about Moose Peterson's Mentor Program, guess who I thought about.Wink

chalkhillblue
chalkhillblue e2 Member 5143 forum postschalkhillblue vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 9:23 PM

Well said Lawbert, " we pass this way but once", there are no second chances.
David

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 10:39 PM

Quote: Boston box;

1. urgent but not important | 2. urgent and important
--------------------------------------------------------------
3. not urgent, not important | 4. important but not urgent

Divvy up all the things you've got to do and put them into the relevant quadrant.
Prioritise the list within each quadrant. Do 2 then 4 then 1 then 3. Redo the
plan each morning.

Plenty of tea breaks Wink

1. Take a cra#
2. Wash Face
3. Brush Teeth
4. Get Dressed

Bugga....and if I take a tea break whilst making my mind up on the above priorites I could get dressed before I have cra# and so on and so forth.Tongue

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 11:00 PM

Cost benefits analysis, basically what's the best return (could be profit, but could equally be a better quality of life) going to be for the least investment (money, time, stress, etc).

My photography is event driven. The events are money making (hopefully), when I have a gap in the calendar I can spend some time taking photos for fun (after all the commercial side is just a means to getting the long white lens for wildlife eventually!). So I would say my breakdown is 60% commercial, 30% fun/personal interest and 10% trying new things.

To borrow another idea from management thinking, you could set yourself between 4 and 10 SMART obectives for the next year and use those to priortise you're time.

SMART being:
Specific - having a clear goal makes it easier to achieve.
Measurable - how you will know whether you have achieved the objective.
Attainable - It must be something you possess the skills to do.
Relevant - Not so far out our your interest area that it will be put to one side
Time bound - Setting a deadline provides the sense of urgency, so its not allow to just drift

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 11:10 PM

I always play the long game, so if in doubt I go for long term over short term options, generally it has worked out. But it sounds like you are not certain how to decide, so here is the off the wall item I found that works.

Try tarot cards or Viking runes to help you decide. Fact is you get some sort of gobbledegook reply that you then try and apply to your situation. In doing so you have to add personal interpretation, and sometimes that helps you work it out.

The other way I have done this is through SWOT. (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats)Rather like the Boston box, but from a different angle. Wright down what you think the good things for a path you are thinking about, then write down the things you know will be downsides. Once you have those thing about the new possibilities that it may bring, but you cannot guarantee and what are the negatives that may happen.

All of these things are aimed around exploring the issues. I often find that by the time I have worked out how to tell someone the SWOT, I pretty well have made up my mind on the path.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014713 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 11:22 PM

Well, now my problem is obvious.Wink

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
20 Aug 2010 - 12:37 AM

If you want to get very formal

csurry
20 Aug 2010 - 8:05 AM

Thanks guys, but the decisions weren't about photography. Mainly about deciding on another income stream for the IT company. I have a few ideas, but not all of the skills required for any of them. So it was about deciding what to learn first.

One item would be enjoyable but unlikely to bring in much income. The other more difficult but likely to be more productive.

Anyway I've adapted the idea from Chris and I'm working my way through prioritizing them.

Cheers

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.