Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Prison Service Strike

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Cowbags
Cowbags  9436 forum posts England
29 Aug 2007 - 8:46 PM

Hi,

Just wondered what people's views are in relation to todays strike by the Prison Officers Association?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Aug 2007 - 8:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

doug_7
doug_7  8482 forum posts England
29 Aug 2007 - 9:50 PM

I see Bristol were the first to go back.....difficult one really, if everyone behind bars are as guilty as hell I would say let them rot and stick out for a decent working wage.
You know as well as me that, that`s not the case and anyone dealing with human cargo i.e. doctors etc should really put people first.
How else do you make a stand? I just don`t know.
Whats your views?
d.

Graywolf
Graywolf  7964 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Aug 2007 - 7:47 PM

Big difference between what doctors get paid and what prison officers get paid, or pretty much any public sector worker.

Funny that KEY WORKERS are the ones that seem to need special consideration because by comparison with non-key workers their pay is so crap.

If their work is really so 'key', why aren't they better remunerated.

Well obviously because they're not really key at all, and that epithet is applied to somehow make them feel valued without actually having to demonstrate it by paying them a decent wage.

The older I get the more I think the world is arse about face.

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2007 - 10:40 PM

Quote: Funny that KEY WORKERS are the ones that seem to need special consideration because by comparison with non-key workers their pay is so crap.

If their work is really so 'key', why aren't they better remunerated.

Well obviously because they're not really key at all, and that epithet is applied to somehow make them feel valued without actually having to demonstrate it by paying them a decent wage.

Or maybe the other way round. Call them KEY WORKERS and the public sees them as absolutely essential to life as we know it and therefore are encouraged to feel unsympathetic when pay strikes loom.

Years ago as a nurse, I and others would be called angels and told how wonderful we were and how much we were appreciated. The moment pay talks and possible strikes loomed we were told how mercenary and selfish we were to even think of striking. We were called to our vocation, we were told, and should be grateful for the chance to use our god given skills for the good of the public.

Yeah, right.

sammyboy
sammyboy  7
30 Aug 2007 - 11:50 PM

Quote: Funny that KEY WORKERS are the ones that seem to need special consideration because by comparison with non-key workers their pay is so crap.

Or it could be that the ones with the loudest mouths and access to the media are the real NON key workers, they just have access to the man that sets the salaries. When was the last time the real key workers sat down in the same canteen as the head of personel.
I've lost myself now.
Rod Smile

phil beale
phil beale  111502 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Aug 2007 - 1:48 AM

Maybe i would agree or disagree with their grievance around pay but how much do they actually get paid no news reports mentions their pay so how should we as the general public be able to agree or disagree.

I know that when the teachers strike was on one teacher done an interview saying she was the head of her department at a secondary school and was paid on 34.000. The teacher strike was a few years ago and i thought that was good for only working part time (lol)

The fireman's strike was another one but at the end of the day they don't struggle to get applicants so people are still willing to apply for the position knowing full well what the pay is.

The army stood in while the fireman where on strike and they were on far less pay and they have to go fight in wars around the world.

the only way to change things is to look for work in another sector and when they struggle to recruit the money will have to change.

Phil

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108376 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2007 - 1:51 AM

The BBC has the pay structure here.
Entry officer min: 17,744
Prison officer: 27,530
Senior officer: 29.371
Principal officer: 31,913

Last Modified By dougv at 31 Aug 2007 - 1:51 AM
NickParry
NickParry  91016 forum posts Wales79 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2007 - 3:01 AM

Tut Tut Phil. Part time , my ar** ! Smile

phil beale
phil beale  111502 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Aug 2007 - 3:57 AM

Come on nick 9.00am to 3.30pm and six weeks off in the summer (sorry rain)

Lol

Phil

27.000 I wouldn't want to do the job but it's better than what i thought they would be earning IMHO

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014789 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2007 - 6:22 AM

Take it from someone who's been there, done that; anyone can be replaced.

Remember the Air Traffic Controller's strike in the US when Ronald Reagan was president? He declared them an essential service and ordered them back to work. Most of them refused, and were fired. I was flying at the time, and everything went without a hitch. So much for having your employer by the short and curly.

john64
john64 e2 Member 10824 forum postsjohn64 vcard England
31 Aug 2007 - 7:53 AM

Quote: 9.00am to 3.30pm and six weeks off in the summer

I used to agree with you Phil, until I married a teacher.

She gets to work before 8am every day, leave's around 4.30, has a cuppa when I arrive home at around 5.30 and then sits at the dining table doing teacher-type things until I tell her to stop which is usually between 8 and 9pm.

I used to want to be a teacher. Not any more. I reckon they're worth every penny having to put up with the hormonal shenanagins of pubescent teenagers who think they know it all and don't want to listen. (I know that's a generalization and they're not all like that).

If you were looking for a bite, you got one Wink

JC

Cowbags
Cowbags  9436 forum posts England
31 Aug 2007 - 9:02 AM

I would just like to point out that the 27,000 is the top of the payment scale for the basic Prison Officer grade. Prison Officers pay is scaled between 17,774 and 27,530. You would have to have been in the job for abut 10 years before you got the top whack!! Most people don't make it!! The Prison Service is already struggling to recruit staff! And the retainment of current staff is in an even worse state!!

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2007 - 9:13 AM

Quote: The BBC has the pay structure here.
Entry officer min: 17,744
Prison officer: 27,530
Senior officer: 29.371
Principal officer: 31,913

I am sorry, but that looks fine to me

teacher and prison officer are totally different

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 31 Aug 2007 - 9:14 AM
keith selmes
31 Aug 2007 - 9:14 AM

Quote: The fireman's strike was another one but at the end of the day they don't struggle to get applicants

But i wonder what percentage of applicants are actually usable ?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014135 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2007 - 9:16 AM

Shepherds first law of employment:

Quote: Renumeration for employment is in inverse proportion to usefulness

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.