Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Private Messaging: Notification Icon

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: at OPs request
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139497 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 3:36 PM

,On EPZ, flashing/moving ads are much loved (.....well by the Ad Team anyway! Tongue)

But the PM icon is, by contrast, ever so discreet and easily missed especially if members rarely get a PM. Just for example: in my current role, I occasionally send bulk PMs to our junior members and am struck by how long it takes them to get around to reading them. I do realise there may be other factors at work, but I'm sure the over-discreet icon has a part to play.

I would like to see the current little yellow envelope replaced with something less discreet. Similar size, but red and flashing, comes to mind. I feel sure the change would take near-zero developer time: replace one GIF with another, perhaps.

I know I could have put this up as a suggestion direct to the HQ team, but it would probably get kicked into the long grass ("We'll add it to our list......... etc" Wink) So I just want to see, first of all, if there is any support for this modest but helpful change. Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Sep 2012 - 3:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93501 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
18 Sep 2012 - 3:45 PM

yea....good idea

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014152 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 3:49 PM

It's about the same size as the icon on face book - but that is red. On Twitter it's even more subtle, so I think part of the problem is influencing users to look in set places for indicators like that. I'm used to looking top right, if I wasn't I am not sure that a flashing red one would make much difference, but it might be worth a try.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72366 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
18 Sep 2012 - 3:52 PM

Surely the fact that they have read it indicates that its working? However, we are always working on improving the site in every aspect.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 18 Sep 2012 - 3:54 PM
JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
18 Sep 2012 - 4:01 PM

Quote: However, we are always working on improving the site in every aspect.

So how about sorting out the Albums so we can arrange them in the order we want rather than "We'll add it to our list......... etc" as an answer to my queries. I've been asking for over a year but to no avail!

To go back to Carabosse suggestion, a flashing red sign would be useful especially for those who don't go on FaceBook or Twitter.

Last Modified By JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY at 18 Sep 2012 - 5:15 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139497 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 4:30 PM

Quote: Surely the fact that they have read it indicates that its working?

Ask your colleague Richard, how many of the bulk PMs he sent in August (to 1271 members) have still not been read. The answer may shock you! Wink

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 5:28 PM

I not really adding to the debate here, but I will say it's one of the the first things I check when I come onto ePz......To make it flash, no thanks, but to make it a different colour or slightly larger, hmmm, well yes, I'd go along with that.

Ade Smile

Jestertheclown
18 Sep 2012 - 5:45 PM

Quote: To make it flash, no thanks, but to make it a different colour or slightly larger, hmmm, well yes, I'd go along with that.

Agreed Ade.

I've hidden all of the ads. on here because the site looked like a migraine.
I've also got unwanted and never used, Twitface and '+' logos all over the place; if you must change it, please keep it discreet.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64470 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 5:48 PM

No thanks

WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41056 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England136 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 6:24 PM

Seems okay to me. I know where it is, I know what to look for, and it's not obtrusive.

Carabosse
18 Sep 2012 - 6:56 PM

Quote: I know where it is, I know what to look for

It seems not everyone is in the same boat. The read rate is quite low, I am told.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014152 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 7:20 PM

Maybe the first time a PM arrives for you, there should be a big indicator pointing out what the icon means.

Carabosse
18 Sep 2012 - 7:24 PM

On other sites, if you have a PM the first screen that greets you, on logon, tells you there's a PM waiting,

Probably a step too far for some EPZers. Wink

But something big and red would be good - what's there to lose? Smile

Jestertheclown
18 Sep 2012 - 8:18 PM

Quote: But something big and red would be good - what's there to lose? Smile

Nothing.

It'll go away as son as you click on it. Just don't make it flash.

Just a thought; how many people rely on that icon as their first indication that they've got a message?

I always know first via email.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43955 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 8:33 PM

Quote:

I always know first via email.

+1

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: at OPs request