Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

pro- or semi pro

Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2012 8:12PM
Conventionally, a "professional" earns more than half their income from whatever it is. I guess semi-pro (a modern term) is someone who earns part of their income but not the majority, as opposed to someone who casually sells a few pictures still being an amateur.

Just having a qualification doesn't make you a professional, nor does calling yourself something arbitrarily.

From Ade...if you sell bricks, you are just someone who has sold bricks. Not a professional brick seller until you do it consistently and earn most of your money from it.

Does it change the way you take photos? Personally, I think doing it professionally does change things...the business comes first, the ability comes second. Plenty of poor photographers make a decent living, but not many good ones without the business ability.

Nick

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2012 8:12PM
Pro makes majority of income from photography, semi pro has regular extra income from their photography and seeks to maintain this, Amateur might make occasional sales. Retired also might make occasional sales or more but is not really seeking regular income.
Part time amateurs like me hope to get lucky here and there while they have fun practicing.
As said though - what's really in a name.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
24 Sep 2012 8:28PM
God knows what it all really means

Professional is more than just making money

it's an attitude

it's your approach

it's how you deal with people

it's how well you deliver according to a breif

it's reacting to difficult situations and producing the goods

it's all that kinda thing....

money's a kinda by product ?
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
24 Sep 2012 8:41PM

Quote:money's a kinda by product ?

I`ve never yet met a pro that looks upon money as a bi product Smile
24 Sep 2012 9:01PM
I agree and disagree! Conventionally, a professional is defined by making most of their income from the job.

Being 'professional' about it is different and includes the things Ade lists.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
24 Sep 2012 9:08PM

Quote:I agree and disagree! Conventionally, a professional is defined by making most of their income from the job.

Being 'professional' about it is different and includes the things Ade lists.

That's how I see it too.

Ergo, how can you be semi-professional? You're only doing the job part time?
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2012 9:32PM

Quote:Ergo, how can you be semi-professional? You're only doing the job part time?

Nope, it's about whether you do it full or part time for money.

Collins defines semi professional as "engaged in an activity or sport part-time but for pay"
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
24 Sep 2012 9:41PM
if you're not "professional", you are "unprofessional" - who'd want to be that?
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
24 Sep 2012 9:46PM

Quote:Collins defines semi professional as "engaged in an activity or sport part-time but for pay"

I thought that that was what I said.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2012 9:56PM
You asked "how can you be semi-professional? You're only doing the job part time?" Suggesting that you think the two are mutually exclusive. Unless you mean something else by that?
24 Sep 2012 10:28PM

Quote:if you're not "professional", you are "unprofessional" - who'd want to be that?

I am not a professional photographer, but I do the job professionally.
It's semantics, and it seems like you are deliberately confusing my usage of 'professional' as an adverb rather than a noun.

I suggest that a semi professional works for money, repeatedly and consistently, as opposed to an amateur that sells the occasional picture, but still doesn't earn enough from it for it to be their main income. In my case, I have been in and out of these categories for years, though I am an engineer by profession. I have never had photography as my main income, but there have been times when I have worked consistently as a photographer in the past, with a regular but small, income.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
24 Sep 2012 11:19PM
Although I have, in the past, been paid for thousands of images that were published (mainly in magazines) I never considered myself as either pro or semi-pro. I was purely an amateur hobbyist who sold a few images on a freelance basis and used the proceeds to pay for my hobby.

Those days are gone. Magazines that, in the 1960-1990 period would pay me anything from 5 to 250 for a photo now get their illustrations for pennies (literally) from online image libraries. Fortunately the opposite has happened with the written word and I now get far more in royalties for my books being sold as e-books and Kindle editions than I ever got for the hard-print versions. So my freelance income from my hobbies still pays for my hobbies. But that does not make me a pro or semi pro. My household income still comes from my pension, just as it came from my salary in the olden days.
newfocus 8 644 2 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2012 11:34PM

Quote:if you're not "professional", you are "unprofessional" - who'd want to be that?

I think that's a good point. We all know that experienced 'amateur' photographers can sometimes be just as skilled, creative and capable of a top quality job as those that earn full time income from photography (no disrespect to hard working full time togs intended but it's the reality of the situation). However, I'm convinced that the term 'amateur' implies 'unprofessional/inexperienced/unskilled' to some people and that 'semi-pro' is just confusing outside of the photography community.

Maybe 'part time pro' would be a better description for earning a part income from paid photography work.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
24 Sep 2012 11:55PM
Partly professional....

Sometimes professional....

Weekends professional

Profession...ish

Wink
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2012 12:00AM
Too many people class themselves as semi-pro's because they sell a few images, but they're not. There are so many people calling themselves either semi-pro or pro and they are neither. Just enjoy your photography and if you sell a few of your images, great.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.