Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

pro- or semi pro

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2012 - 8:12 PM

Conventionally, a "professional" earns more than half their income from whatever it is. I guess semi-pro (a modern term) is someone who earns part of their income but not the majority, as opposed to someone who casually sells a few pictures still being an amateur.

Just having a qualification doesn't make you a professional, nor does calling yourself something arbitrarily.

From Ade...if you sell bricks, you are just someone who has sold bricks. Not a professional brick seller until you do it consistently and earn most of your money from it.

Does it change the way you take photos? Personally, I think doing it professionally does change things...the business comes first, the ability comes second. Plenty of poor photographers make a decent living, but not many good ones without the business ability.

Nick

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53632 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points

Pro makes majority of income from photography, semi pro has regular extra income from their photography and seeks to maintain this, Amateur might make occasional sales. Retired also might make occasional sales or more but is not really seeking regular income.
Part time amateurs like me hope to get lucky here and there while they have fun practicing.
As said though - what's really in a name.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2012 - 8:28 PM

God knows what it all really means

Professional is more than just making money

it's an attitude

it's your approach

it's how you deal with people

it's how well you deliver according to a breif

it's reacting to difficult situations and producing the goods

it's all that kinda thing....

money's a kinda by product ?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315396 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2012 - 8:41 PM

Quote: money's a kinda by product ?

I`ve never yet met a pro that looks upon money as a bi product Smile

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2012 - 9:01 PM

I agree and disagree! Conventionally, a professional is defined by making most of their income from the job.

Being 'professional' about it is different and includes the things Ade lists.

Jestertheclown
24 Sep 2012 - 9:08 PM

Quote: I agree and disagree! Conventionally, a professional is defined by making most of their income from the job.

Being 'professional' about it is different and includes the things Ade lists.

That's how I see it too.

Ergo, how can you be semi-professional? You're only doing the job part time?

User_Removed
24 Sep 2012 - 9:32 PM

Quote: Ergo, how can you be semi-professional? You're only doing the job part time?

Nope, it's about whether you do it full or part time for money.

Collins defines semi professional as "engaged in an activity or sport part-time but for pay"

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2012 - 9:41 PM

if you're not "professional", you are "unprofessional" - who'd want to be that?

Jestertheclown
24 Sep 2012 - 9:46 PM

Quote: Collins defines semi professional as "engaged in an activity or sport part-time but for pay"

I thought that that was what I said.

User_Removed
24 Sep 2012 - 9:56 PM

You asked "how can you be semi-professional? You're only doing the job part time?" Suggesting that you think the two are mutually exclusive. Unless you mean something else by that?

Sooty_1
24 Sep 2012 - 10:28 PM

Quote: if you're not "professional", you are "unprofessional" - who'd want to be that?

I am not a professional photographer, but I do the job professionally.
It's semantics, and it seems like you are deliberately confusing my usage of 'professional' as an adverb rather than a noun.

I suggest that a semi professional works for money, repeatedly and consistently, as opposed to an amateur that sells the occasional picture, but still doesn't earn enough from it for it to be their main income. In my case, I have been in and out of these categories for years, though I am an engineer by profession. I have never had photography as my main income, but there have been times when I have worked consistently as a photographer in the past, with a regular but small, income.

User_Removed
24 Sep 2012 - 11:19 PM

Although I have, in the past, been paid for thousands of images that were published (mainly in magazines) I never considered myself as either pro or semi-pro. I was purely an amateur hobbyist who sold a few images on a freelance basis and used the proceeds to pay for my hobby.

Those days are gone. Magazines that, in the 1960-1990 period would pay me anything from 5 to 250 for a photo now get their illustrations for pennies (literally) from online image libraries. Fortunately the opposite has happened with the written word and I now get far more in royalties for my books being sold as e-books and Kindle editions than I ever got for the hard-print versions. So my freelance income from my hobbies still pays for my hobbies. But that does not make me a pro or semi pro. My household income still comes from my pension, just as it came from my salary in the olden days.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 24 Sep 2012 - 11:20 PM
newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2012 - 11:34 PM

Quote: if you're not "professional", you are "unprofessional" - who'd want to be that?

I think that's a good point. We all know that experienced 'amateur' photographers can sometimes be just as skilled, creative and capable of a top quality job as those that earn full time income from photography (no disrespect to hard working full time togs intended but it's the reality of the situation). However, I'm convinced that the term 'amateur' implies 'unprofessional/inexperienced/unskilled' to some people and that 'semi-pro' is just confusing outside of the photography community.

Maybe 'part time pro' would be a better description for earning a part income from paid photography work.

Last Modified By newfocus at 24 Sep 2012 - 11:37 PM
ade_mcfade
24 Sep 2012 - 11:55 PM

Partly professional....

Sometimes professional....

Weekends professional

Profession...ish

Wink

puertouk
puertouk  21073 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 12:00 AM

Too many people class themselves as semi-pro's because they sell a few images, but they're not. There are so many people calling themselves either semi-pro or pro and they are neither. Just enjoy your photography and if you sell a few of your images, great.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.