Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

pro- or semi pro

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

bigalguitarpicker
25 Sep 2012 - 12:22 AM

Quote:

money's a kinda by product ?

And the more of it you get, the more things ye can buy! SmileSmileWink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Sep 2012 - 12:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314820 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 12:24 AM

I`ve always wondered what % of part time pro`s actually declare this as a 2nd income, ie a second job Smile

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 9:03 AM

Puts hand up Smile

Jestertheclown
25 Sep 2012 - 9:49 AM

If a semi-pro is half-professional, as in 'semi' being another word for 'half.' Semi-detatched or semicircle etc.

Does this mean that for the rest of the week they are a semi-greengrocer, or a semi-plumber . . . ?

Just a thought!

thewilliam
25 Sep 2012 - 10:02 AM

Quote: I`ve always wondered what % of part time pro`s actually declare this as a 2nd income, ie a second job Smile

This thought will also have gone through the minds of our good friends at HMRC! Any part-timer who advertises would be wise to register.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 10:21 AM

Quote: Does this mean that for the rest of the week they are a semi-greengrocer, or a semi-plumber . . . ?

or, in my case, fully retired Grin

Quote: This thought will also have gone through the minds of our good friends at HMRC! Any part-timer who advertises would be wise to register.

which is precisely why I did, the penalties and hassle involved in not doing so just aint worth it

User_Removed
25 Sep 2012 - 10:26 AM

I take photos, get the odd commission (Some very odd!) and I sell my work, at a steady rate, from my website, word of mouth and the occassional exhibition, local pub walls etc.
I keep all my incomings and outgoings regarding 'Creative Eye' and from time to time, call the tax office for advice, which they are happy to give.
The tax office regard it as a 'Secondary income' in conjunction with my full time job and I get full support and rebates when they are due.

With all this in mind, I regard myself as 'Semi pro'.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 10:54 AM

I used to regularly mow the lawn on the farm I worked on

I guess I was a semi-pro gardener Wink

Seriously though... .

I guess if you're shooting weekend weddings and working a job, a client may want to hear that magical "professional" word associated with you.... even if you're just doing it for fun.

In that case, I'd argue that you are "acting" as a professional and therefore should be professional, regardless of the hours you spend being professional or percentage of your income you get.

ade_mcfade
25 Sep 2012 - 11:05 AM

The alternative is to call yourself a "photographer"

Wink

#justsaying

brian1208
25 Sep 2012 - 11:15 AM

Quote: I guess I was a semi-pro gardener

Shouldn't that be "Semi-Pro Greenkeeper" Ade, got to get these professional descriptions right Wink

RogBrown
RogBrown  72996 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 11:19 AM

Here's what Wikipedia has to say :-
A professional is a person who is paid to undertake a specialized set of tasks and to complete them for a fee.

The main criteria for professional include the following:

1. Expert and specialized knowledge in field which one is practicing professionally.[5]
2. Excellent manual/practical and literary skills in relation to profession.[6]
3. High quality work in (examples): creations, products, services, presentations, consultancy, primary/other research, administrative, marketing, photography or other work endeavours.
4. A high standard of professional ethics, behaviour and work activities while carrying out one's profession (as an employee, self-employed person, career, enterprise, business, company, or partnership/associate/colleague, etc.). The professional owes a higher duty to a client, often a privilege of confidentiality, as well as a duty not to abandon the client just because he or she may not be able to pay or remunerate the professional. Often the professional is required to put the
interest of the client ahead of his own interests.
5. Reasonable work morale and motivation. Having interest and desire to do a job well as holding positive attitude towards the profession are important elements in attaining a high level of professionalism.
6. Appropriate treatment of relationships with colleagues. Consideration should be shown to elderly, junior or inexperienced colleagues, as well as those with special needs. An example must be set to perpetuate the attitude of one's business without doing it harm.
7. A professional is an expert who is a master in a specific field.

So there you go. Doesn't matter whether you do it full or part time, if you fulfil the above criteria, you're a pro. No such thing as a semi-pro.

brian1208
25 Sep 2012 - 11:26 AM

but Wiki also say

Quote: Likewise the term semi-professional can be applied to an artist such as a photographer or musician who derives some income from their artistic endeavors but who must nevertheless take a day job in order to survive

Which I think applies to a lot (or most?) of us

RogBrown
RogBrown  72996 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 11:45 AM

Quote: But Wiki also say

Likewise the term semi-professional can be applied to an artist such as a photographer or musician who derives some income from their artistic endeavors but who must nevertheless take a day job in order to survive

Which I think applies to a lot (or most?) of us

Yep you're right. Missed that.Sad

ade_mcfade
25 Sep 2012 - 11:52 AM

what does Grasshopper say on the matter?

User_Removed
25 Sep 2012 - 11:59 AM

Quote: No such thing as a semi-pro

Course there is. The expression wouldn't exist otherwise. It distinguishes between full time professionals and part time professionals. I bet it also describes the transition a lot of photographers make on their journey from amateur enthusiast to full time pro.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.