Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

pro- or semi pro

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lemmy
lemmy  71873 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Sep 2012 - 9:13 AM

Quote: But as I'm head honcho, I choose not to do that

That sounds good (and as you say even you have to do things you don't like occasionally), but the sad reality is that a self-employed photographer is a businessman like any other and needs to earn a living, so is just as subject to having to do jobs he'd rather not as anyone else.

I used to hate, detest, covering the Paris fashions, I didn't like the fashion editors, the crowds, the couturiers or the models and the photography side of it I found stultifying boring. But I used to get a call one or twice a year from a Canadian newspaper magazine supplement. It paid well and meant I didn't have to worry about the mortgage and the bills for a month. So I did it. And hated it from start to finish. I dreaded that job. What if nothing else came in? And if I said no, I would feel I had let the picture editor down.

Being self-employed sounds so good from the outside but if you suffer from insecurity at all, it can be very difficult.

For the OP, all you can say is that what is, is. You can call it what you like.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Sep 2012 - 9:13 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014815 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 10:20 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'll do products and don't actually mind it too much

It's just I don't market myself as a product photographer, so don't get that kind of work.

People photography seems to be where it's going - and maybe cars after a few people saw the TVR tuscan shoot - and flyer design.... which is a bit left-field.... oh and websites, yeah, do those now... and family portraits occasionally.... and the odd wedding.... oh got a christening next month.... and of course the workshops, got one in AUSTRIA in October and a whole suite of night shoots over the winter.... and there's the giant prints I put up in offices.... and corporate headshots....

Wink

Jestertheclown
26 Sep 2012 - 10:36 AM

. . . but apart from that . . . !

RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 11:16 AM

Bet you wish you'd never left the bank Ade. Wink

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 8:29 PM

The more I think about parallels with other industries, the more I think the proportion of time or proportion of income thing is a total red herring when it comes to professional or semi- or not, e.g.

If I spend less than half my week working as director of a company which I take less than half my income from. Should I call myself a semi-professional company director? Or a real world example: A friend does PAT-testing and also runs a training business. Does he call himself a semi-professional PAT tester? Clearly not. Or a semi-professional trainer?

Other ridiculous scenarios:
If I earn 100 per month from photography but that's my only income because I happen to be out of work for a while does that make me a pro photographer during that period?
If I earn a full time wage from photography with a string of regular clients but suddenly some lucky stock investments pay off big time and bring in more than my photography income, does that mean I can no longer class myself as a 'professional photographer'.

Quote: Partly professional... Sometimes professional...

Yep - I'm sure that's exactly what people imagine when they hear the term 'semi-professional' Smile

Last Modified By newfocus at 26 Sep 2012 - 8:31 PM
thewilliam
26 Sep 2012 - 8:40 PM

There used to be a sign on the wall in Calumet Bristol:-

I can look you in the eye and say that I'm not unemployed, I'm a professional photographer!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014815 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 8:46 PM

Quote: Bet you wish you'd never left the bank Ade. Wink

I've never been happier rog

in fact - I didn't realise how unhappy I'd been till I started working for myself

I look forward to every job, work till 2AM regularly and meet amazing people all the time... at the bank, I got constant headaches, refulx, clock watched and wanted to kill half the staff Wink

But I guess that's what "working for the man" is all about lol

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.