Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

pro or cons to using the Lee square polariser

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    russellsnr
    8 Feb 2011 - 7:37 PM

Hi, I have recently bought some LEE filters and holders of course and was just wondering what the pro or cons to using the Lee square polariser as I have the system, obviously quicker to put in place with the slot and the cost of the adaptor ring and a 105mm round filter but anything else for or against the square filter polariser?
    Thanks
    Russ

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Feb 2011 - 7:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnParminter

Is it a linear polariser? If it is your camera's light meter may not function correctly.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314809 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Feb 2011 - 8:10 PM

Pro`s, they make good beer mats.

Con`s, they don`t skim across water too well.

Snapper
    Snapper  93687 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Feb 2011 - 8:22 PM

The big con is that you have to rotate the holder to get the best polarisation effect, then it isn't likely to be straight enough to use a grad at the same time. If you're not intending to use grads, this may not be an issue.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Feb 2011 - 8:42 PM

Having started in the last couple of years getting more into close up / macro type shots I have found it a little awkward with a macro lens, so much so I have bought a B&W polariser that screws into the lens filter thread.

For landscapes / general views etc. the slot in square Lee polariser is, I believe, better as you can take it "on & "off easier than the screw in type.

bigalguitarpicker

Didn't know the Lee polariser is actually square?
    Took a look at Lee website - the square polariser is for studio use, where no grads are needed. Otherwise they recommend the adaptor ring and their round polariser. My Cokin filter set has a round slot-in polariser with a toothed edge so it can be easily rotated. I know Lee are considered to be better quality than Cokin, just wondering if anyone else makes a round one that would fit your Lee system?

russellsnr
    3 Mar 2011 - 5:19 PM

Hi, Sorry about the late reply to this.
    I ended up buying the 105mm adapt ring and a Hoya 105mm Pol to fit on the front of the Lee system.
    Thanks again
    Russ

User_Removed
    3 Mar 2011 - 11:45 PM

If that works for you, Russ, then there is no problem.

Like BigAl, I use a Cokin CPL polariser which is really a round one that slots into the filter holder and can be rotated without rotating the entire holder.

But I rarely use the polariser in conjunction with other filters (such as ND grads) as they just don't seem to work well together.

So, if I definitely need a polarising filter, I tend to use a circular screw-in one to suit whatever lens I am using (having, of course, removed any "protection" UV or skylight filter that may have been in place).

To tell you the truth, having once used a polarising filter quite extensively, I now rarely use one. For landscape photography, most of the benefits of a polariser can be better achieved in Lightroom (or Photoshop). Really the only time I use a CPL now is if I have a clear need to remove reflections from non-metallic surfaces. That is probably the only polariser effect that cannot be better done in post-exposure processing.

For landscapes I find that the requisite strength and type of ND grad, to balance the exposure between sky and foreground is, by far, the most important filtration effect. Normally I use hard grads for seascapes and soft grads for inland landscapes.

Playing around with filters is just another of those "fun" aspects of photography and, of course, one of the huge benefits of digital is that there is no cost of film or processing to take hundreds of exposures to try it all out (and you see the results instantly).

Have fun.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 3 Mar 2011 - 11:46 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.