Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Probable scam

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
hornchurch
10 Jun 2012 - 9:00 AM

I sell images through fine art America and received a email inviting me to enter this competition...... $40 dollars per entry......... the website looks good but nobody in There right mind would pay that much to Enter...... what do you think....??? It just looks Like a scam To Me

http://lumenprize.com/

Last Modified By hornchurch at 10 Jun 2012 - 9:02 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Jun 2012 - 9:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

779HOB
779HOB  21018 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Jun 2012 - 9:04 AM

$40 to enter a competition isn't that much really. I don't think this is a scam competition.

Andy_Cundell
10 Jun 2012 - 9:50 AM

Even though I'm not good enough to win any competitions, I will never pay to enter one. I know it will put off the casual photographer that sticks his snaps in every competition, but to me, it shows it isn't a very well organised, supported and sponsored competition.

collywobles
10 Jun 2012 - 10:06 AM

From my point of view once you have paid and sent in an image it would not surprise me to hear that you had won and you then get a request to send more money to go through to another bigger competition.

Beware anyone asking for money up front!

779HOB
10 Jun 2012 - 10:10 AM

Quote: it shows it isn't a very well organised, supported and sponsored competition.

It shows it's likely to be more independent by not being sponsored. Not sure why having to pay means they are likely to be less well supported or organised.

779HOB
10 Jun 2012 - 10:14 AM

Quote: From my point of view once you have paid and sent in an image it would not surprise me to hear that you had won and you then get a request to send more money to go through to another bigger competition.

I have never heard of this happening. I guess it might but that's why reading the T&Cs is important. Not everything is a scam.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2012 - 11:04 AM

No different from entering Regional competitions in camera clubs, Allthrough entrys are cheaper in that case, thier is also no large prize so seems very normal to me.
Obvously not sponsered by some big company so I should imagine that this is not a copyright grab eather but im sure you will check the t&c first on that count. Competitions that are free always have some motive if not just for cheap advertising then rights grab. It may be your very honored to be invited.

Last Modified By KevSB at 10 Jun 2012 - 11:06 AM
hornchurch
10 Jun 2012 - 12:57 PM

From my point of view $40 or about 25 seems a lot to enter a competition where the top prize is only $3000 if it was so spectacular a event then surely they would have a sponsor.... maybe a software company or computer company to stump up for them a small amount of money......I like the Bit where it says you can enter multiple times

derekhansen
derekhansen e2 Member 5184 forum postsderekhansen vcard United Kingdom23 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2012 - 3:18 PM

Quote: From my point of view $40 or about 25 seems a lot to enter a competition where the top prize is only $3000

Agreed. Not neccessarily a scam just a little greedy IMO.
Derek

vetcameraman
10 Jun 2012 - 5:47 PM

I think, looking at the site, and its accompanying Charity Partner site, along with the people associated with both organisations, that if your first thought is 'Who's going to "do me over" here', then philosophically, you are out of your depth, have nothing in common with the organisers, and should be excluded from the competition on principle!

Having had a read through bits, including T's+C's, it looks like a commendable competition and touring exhibition. You would even get PAID for sales of your winning entry exhibits.

Read through everything including the Charity Partner site and think again.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll pass the details to my cousin in Australia who is a Fine Artist, to see if she wants to enter.

Martin.

hornchurch
11 Jun 2012 - 12:24 AM

" you are out of your depth, have nothing in common with the organisers and should be excluded from the competition on principle! " Smile)) Martin If I needed A pompous reply I would Have sent you a pm.....so you would not have to make a idiot of yourself on a open Forum.....wind your Neck In and Grow up....

vetcameraman
11 Jun 2012 - 1:28 AM

Sorry, COMPLETELY misunderstood the phrase 'what do you think...??' and the insinuation that the competition was purely set up to rip off those invited to enter ''.

Having looked at your portfolio, I actually think its quality would put you in a very good position to enter, especially as you have sold through sites as well.

My comment on fully looking at the aims of both organising sites, and the benefits to winning entrants of paid sales from exhibitions maybe was rather pompous in retrospect. Grin

User_Removed
11 Jun 2012 - 1:47 AM

They are a not-for-profit company and any profits go to charity. I'm guessing though there's nothing to stop the team from paying themselves wages of whatever they fancy. They haven't had much press and what press they have had is hardly stellar despite their media backgrounds.

Probably started out as an AbFab kind of dinner party conversation about the Booker Prize, Turner Prize etc and that there wasn't anything like that for digital creations. "Dahling let's start one, Toby knows a website guy"

hornchurch
11 Jun 2012 - 11:11 AM

Ok No Problem Martin.. and Thanks for Your view on My Images..... Smile

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3288 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 12:10 PM

They appear genuine to me..As Chris notes, they act as a " not for profit organisation", though these are less stringently controlled than Registered Charities.
They do say that all surplus after costs goes to the project. It might be worth asking them for some evidence of the split. Or indeed evidence of their registration that they claim on their web sites.

Last Modified By rhol2 at 11 Jun 2012 - 12:19 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.