Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Problem Lens

cuffit 8 180 2 England
28 Feb 2007 6:15PM
Lens Gurus, your advice please. I recently bought a second hand lens (Canon zoom-IS)and on inspection in the shop it looked as good as new. At home on the camera it felt good and all was well, but as I looked into the lens the light caught the innards, so to speak, which revealed specks of dust on the inside of the front element (I think) and a grubby inside. I seem to recall that spots like this do not show on the final frame but it has spoiled the buying experience as my intention was to by new and I don't need the hassle of getting it cleaned professionally. The lens has a 1yr warranty but my question to the experts is: am I worrying to much or am I right to think of taking it back. I am not questioning the price or external condition, just the inside which we did not look at in the shop. Any advice welcome. Thanks. Chris

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

culturedcanvas 9 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2007 6:17PM
Im afraid I would be taking it straight back.

Simple as that.

Dan
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
28 Feb 2007 6:27PM
Like Dan, I'd be taking it back a bit pronto....However all is not lost, I'm sure I'm right in saying that any muck inside the lens can be cleared out by having the lens serviced!....Although not ever having to have had to do this I may well be mistaken, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Ade
stan walker 11 578
28 Feb 2007 7:16PM
You do not say how it performs
cuffit 8 180 2 England
28 Feb 2007 8:01PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Stan, my 'felt good and all was well' is a poor way of describing that the lens appears to perform OK. I have a digital SLR with a clean sensor but I really don't want to be doing with trying to figure out if the dust is on the sensor, mirror or the lens; life is to short. So mechanically it is sound, I can hear the IS when switched on. Its the dust in the lens thats bugging me as if I had known about it I would have bought new. Chris

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.