Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Problem sharpness when reducing size for EPZ uploading

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: ENOUGH!!!
GlennH
GlennH e2 Member 81822 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2012 - 2:56 PM

Quote: Yes.

Well I'm not seeing any particular problem with sharpness among your photos, if it helps? I don't know how the originals looked - but if they were much sharper you'd be cutting yourself. I'd suggest the problem is local, unless there's been a very recent gallery upgrade? I note you haven't posted any pictures for a few weeks.

As suggested elsewhere, you don't want ePhotozine to be resizing your photos in any way, so keeping them within the ePz limits (dimensions/file size) would be advisable.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Sep 2012 - 2:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown

I find that there's a distinct difference between my images here, at home, and when I view precisely the same image after it's been uploaded to Epz.
To prepare shots for uploading, I deliberately oversharpen them, I know roughly by how much, knowing that if I don't, they will look worse after the upload.
Invariably they lose some of that sharpness in the transition and hopefully end up looking about right.
If I then download and view those same images, they appear oversharpened again. Just as they were before they were uploaded.
I've never understood and no-one's ever satisfactorily explained, why images should look worse on here than they actually are but the fact remains that they do.

GlennH
GlennH e2 Member 81822 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2012 - 3:27 PM

Quote: I've never understood and no-one's ever satisfactorily explained, why images should look worse on here than they actually are but the fact remains that they do.

Can't say that I've ever noticed a difference with my pictures (they all look equally terrible!).

Maybe you can put it to the test - differing JPEG file sizes? 'Difference' overlay in Photoshop?

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
7 Sep 2012 - 4:50 PM

Quote:
Well I'm not seeing any particular problem with sharpness among your photos, if it helps? I don't know how the originals looked - but if they were much sharper you'd be cutting yourself. I'd suggest the problem is local, unless there's been a very recent gallery upgrade?

Thanks for having a look Glenn. I tried oversharpen some photos but it looked worse so deleted them and re-up-loaded without doing anything particular.

I find it odd you saying
Quote: I note you haven't posted any pictures for a few weeks.

as I've been posting regularly since the end of June. EPZ moves in mysterious ways!!!!!

I agree with Jestertheclown
Quote: I find that there's a distinct difference between my images here, at home, and when I view precisely the same image after it's been uploaded to Epz.

GlennH
7 Sep 2012 - 5:10 PM

Quote: I find it odd you saying I note you haven't posted any pictures for a few weeks. as I've been posting regularly since the end of June. EPZ moves in mysterious ways!!!!!

Not so much ePhotozine as me - I was glancing at the 'date taken' info. The proverbial two short planks come to mind.

Can this difference be distinguished in a side-by-side screenshot, or is it too subtle for that?

Jestertheclown

Quote: Can this difference be distinguished in a side-by-side screenshot, or is it too subtle for that?

I rather doubt it.
The screenshot would just become another original image being uploaded alongside another original image being uploaded.
They'd both suffer the same fate!
You really need to be able to view the original that I have here, in a window alongside the Epz. version in another.

GlennH
7 Sep 2012 - 6:39 PM

Quote: The screenshot would just become another original image being uploaded alongside another original image being uploaded.
They'd both suffer the same fate!
You really need to be able to view the original that I have here, in a window alongside the Epz. version in another.

Well they'd be subjected to the same treatment, but that wouldn't necessarily level their differences. Still, it'd be better if the original could be viewed independently. I can volunteer for that if you want. Does this problem occur in any browser?

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
7 Sep 2012 - 6:43 PM

Quote: Can this difference be distinguished in a side-by-side screenshot, or is it too subtle for that?

Not side by side (I don't know how I could do that.) but I look at one of my photos on EPZ and compare it with the one on Aperture 3 by switching from one to the other. You can see the difference, not only sharpness but the EPZ version is not as bright. It's a marginal difference but I can notice it and the version on Aperture 3 is better than the one on EPZ.

I did not notice any difference in the previous version of EPZ + I don't have that difference with another site so it can't me my screen.

Quote: I was glancing at the 'date taken' info.

That's a good one! You got me worried though.

GlennH
7 Sep 2012 - 7:43 PM

Quote: I did not notice any difference in the previous version of EPZ + I don't have that difference with another site so it can't me my screen.

One thing I notice when I right-click on your ePhotozine uploads is the dimensions often being accompanied by this: (scaled to 1,000px 1,000px)

I don't see this on my uploads, so perhaps it's possible that you're somehow exceeding ephotozine limits and the picture is being resized? The 1000 x 1000 measurement would be typical of software being instructed to scale to 1000 pixels longest side.

I still don't see that your photos are particularly soft, however. Is your monitor connected by a VGA lead, by any chance? An analogue connection can have a noticeably adverse effect on apparent sharpness.

Jestertheclown

Quote: (scaled to 1,000px 1,000px)

We're back to that 'scaled' description again.

I asked earlier in the thread what you meant by that.

Jestertheclown

Quote: Well they'd be subjected to the same treatment, but that wouldn't necessarily level their differences.

I'd have to save the screenshot as a Jpeg. which would mean it starting out in life as a saved Jpeg. and probably not a very good one. I'm sure it wouldn't be as good as one that I'd taken using my Nikon.
It would be simple enough to mount them side by side in a single image but they wouldn't be comparable to begin with.

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
7 Sep 2012 - 8:09 PM

I use a laptop.
The problem is something to do with the site. I can live with it eventhough it's a bit annoying as the photos are not exactly as they should be.

Jestertheclown

Quote: The problem is something to do with the site.

I'm inclined to think that too, although the powers that be will probably disagree.

The self same images uploaded to other places, deviantART, for example, are fine.

The only other site where I had a problem with sharpness was 'Blipfoto,' which I used for my Photo 366 for a while.

GlennH
7 Sep 2012 - 8:27 PM

Quote: (scaled to 1,000px 1,000px)
We're back to that 'scaled' description again.

I asked earlier in the thread what you meant by that.

You did? The terms are used interchangeably, but scaled here is likely to mean the same as 'rescaled' or 'resized' - meaning it was likely interpolated down to 1000 pixels longest side. This is in Windows 'View Image Info' after right-clicking.

Brendan, I really think your sharpness problem may be different, because when I look at some of your ephotozine uploads a proportion of them look oversharpened, and look exactly the same in Photoshop. So I think the issue is quite likely to be one local to you. See below a PS/Firefox screenshot:

1-comparison2.jpg

Jestertheclown

I don't think so.
As I said earlier, many of my uploads are oversharpened deliberately to compensate for the degradation that takes place during the uploading process, hence they're potentially still too sharp on here.
Comparing your downloaded copy of my image to a screenshot means nothing because your downloaded version has been through goodness knows what in the transition from the folder on my computer to the one on yours.
The only way to make a true comparison would be for me to open the original on here and open the Epz. version in a window next to it, which would only confirm to me what I already know because I've seen the image before and after uploading anyway.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: ENOUGH!!!