Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Problem sharpness when reducing size for EPZ uploading

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: ENOUGH!!!
Jestertheclown

Quote: I asked earlier in the thread what you meant by that.

Apologies!

No I didn't. That was obviously in another thread.

I queried that someone was saving Jpegs. at '3.' I asked if that was the 'quality' setting.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 7 Sep 2012 - 8:43 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Sep 2012 - 8:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2012 - 8:53 PM

Do I need to remind you of what you said earlier, Brendan?

Quote: Invariably they lose some of that sharpness in the transition and hopefully end up looking about right.
If I then download and view those same images, they appear oversharpened again. Just as they were before they were uploaded.

I just took the trouble to download one of your photos, which, incidentally, is an utter waste of my time unless it's to help you. It looked identical in Photoshop and Firefox. Screenshots aren't good for demonstrating quality in any given picture, but they're useful for comparisons. The above is a slightly degraded version of what I just saw with my own eyes.

I think, instead of just offering up stubborn resistance seemingly for the hell of it, you should allow for the fact that your sharpening problem is local to you.

Last Modified By GlennH at 7 Sep 2012 - 8:54 PM
Jestertheclown

Quote: Do I need to remind you of what you said earlier, Brendan?

No, you don't need to remind me of anything.
I actually reiterated that myself a couple of posts ago.
I'm not offering up stubborn resistance for the sake of it, I'm simply disagreeing with what you're saying.
I'm perfectly aware that screenshots are less than ideal for demonstrating quality. I also pointed that out some time back but you had to go ahead anyway. You were never going to get a usable result because you don't have an original image to compare it to.
The problems re. sharpening on here aren't peculiar to just myself. Others have had similar problems and there have been other, similar threads in the past.
I appreciate that you'd like to help but insisting that you are correct and that no-one else can be, whilst confusing disagreement with stubbornness isn't helping anyone.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 7 Sep 2012 - 9:09 PM
GlennH
7 Sep 2012 - 9:23 PM

This isn't an argument Brendan, and even if it was I don't care about losing arguments. Let me word it differently - when you download your own picture from ePhotozine and then open it in Photoshop you're saying you see a different picture - i.e. a deliberately oversharpened one for the benefit of ePhotozine. Have I got that bit right?

If so, this is an exercise that I can perform without needing the original. I download your photo from ePhotozine, open it in Photoshop, and they look identical. That, in itself, is indication that your deliberate oversharpening might actually just be seen by others as...oversharpening. I'd say that's extremely likely, even, except a lot of people aren't going to comment on such technical issues, so you might go on this way ad infinitum without being aware of it.

Jestertheclown

Quote: I'd say that's extremely likely, even, except a lot of people aren't going to comment on such technical issues, so you might go on this way ad infinitum without being aware of it.

The whole point of using the CG, which I do exclusively, is that we point out and discuss, exactly that kind of thing.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014171 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2012 - 9:40 PM

One thing to check is wether you have your browser zoomed in or not. I run firefox zoomed in Ctrl & + as it makes the text big enough to read but the images get softer.
To reset it use ctrl + 0 it certainly improves sharpness on my screen.

GlennH
7 Sep 2012 - 9:54 PM

Quote: The whole point of using the CG, which I do exclusively, is that we point out and discuss, exactly that kind of thing.

Well that's fine, but you've skirted deftly around what I have just taken the trouble to ask. How do you explain the fact that your ePhotozine image looks exactly the same to me when I open it in Photoshop? That's 'good science' if you like, even if I'm an unlikely scientist - often the way to resolve these issues is to look for disparities in behaviour.

Jestertheclown

Hi Chris,
I use ctrl+ for the thumbnails but I have to revert to ctrl- (or ctrl0) for the full size jobs for the same reason.

GlennH
7 Sep 2012 - 10:58 PM

Quote: If I then download and view those same images, they appear oversharpened again. Just as they were before they were uploaded.

So, a difference in the image's appearance between the browser and Photoshop...

Quote: You were never going to get a usable result because you don't have an original image to compare it to.

But....according to that first quote I don't need the original image, which is correct - it should look identical when opened in Photoshop.

Meanwhile, the pointless screenshot I posted is of your pic in Firefox, straight from the ephotozine website, versus your picture in Photoshop, downloaded as per your first quote. If you can't see how that reveals anything against your findings I'll go and have my bumps tested whilst you carry on. Is there a frenology group?

Yes, a little frustrating, because these observations should be helpful to you as opposed to being roundly rejected. If it weren't for the risk of splinters I'd be scratching my head.

Last Modified By GlennH at 7 Sep 2012 - 11:03 PM
Jestertheclown
7 Sep 2012 - 11:08 PM

Glenn,
You're obviously not prepared to agree to differ and now you're becoming like a dog with a bone. Unable to let go.
I'm not going to rise to the bait, so I'll just say 'thanks for trying' and 'goodnight.'

GlennH
7 Sep 2012 - 11:12 PM

There is no bait - I find your responses almost surreal. All I'm trying to tell you is that you probably shouldn't be deliberately oversharpening, which in my crazy imagination might be deemed a favour in some people's books. Yes, let's leave it then, and perhaps time for me to retire from these forums and spend time more constructively.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2012 - 2:32 PM

Over sharpened?
Over saturated?

Some people like it that way.

The world still goes around...

For the moment.....

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2012 - 10:48 AM

You might just as well get used to the fact that whatever you say, right or wrong, somebody is bound to disagree with you.

If you like protracted arguments fair enough.

Personally, I got cheesed off with it some time ago.

GlennH
10 Sep 2012 - 11:59 PM

No Jas, not a particular fan of protracted arguments, but then the ephotozine gallery doesn't misbehave for me or, presumably, the majority. So initially all I wanted to do was explore the possibility that the 'problem', such as it is, originated somewhere other than ePz. I wasn't quite expecting Brendan's early castling move!

Of course the easy option is to meander around not giving a s***, but over the years I've tried on the whole to contribute positively to ephotozine, and lay down some useful info on subjects I know about or have experience in.

With hindsight I wish I hadn't behaved quite in the rabid-dog way that I did in this thread. Clearly I need to up my dosage, or reevaluate what I'm doing here, if I can say that in a non-flouncy kind of way.

User_Removed
11 Sep 2012 - 9:57 AM

Quote: I find that there's a distinct difference between my images here, at home, and when I view precisely the same image after it's been uploaded to Epz.
To prepare shots for uploading, I deliberately oversharpen them, I know roughly by how much, knowing that if I don't, they will look worse after the upload.
Invariably they lose some of that sharpness in the transition and hopefully end up looking about right.
If I then download and view those same images, they appear oversharpened again. Just as they were before they were uploaded.
I've never understood and no-one's ever satisfactorily explained, why images should look worse on here than they actually are but the fact remains that they do.

Maybe there's something wrong with your browser settings, perhaps you've got zoom on. Maybe you're using a PC image viewer that does a sharpening effect during display.

If you can download them from epz and they look the same then how can you say they were degraded "been through goodness knows what" when you uploaded them?

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 11 Sep 2012 - 10:42 AM

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: ENOUGH!!!