Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Problem with "inherited" macro lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    samj
    samj  3 Portugal
    25 Feb 2013 - 10:48 PM

My Mum has passed quite a bit of gear onto me, including a Sigma macro lens (50mm 1:2.8). I have attached it to the body of my Canon EOS 30D, it fires and even autofocuses and I get readings re aperture and speed but then when I take the picture, I get a message on the screen saying " Error: Err 99 shooting is not possible. Turn the power switch to and again or reinstall the battery".

Is this lens compatible with the Canon EOS 30D? There is no indication otherwise in the instructions. Is it a bad contact? If the lens is damaged, is it worth repairing?

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers Smile

Sam

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Feb 2013 - 10:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

samj
    samj  3 Portugal
    25 Feb 2013 - 10:53 PM

Been doing some surfing on this lens and it seem to be v good quality for the money and several people are using it on Canons DSLRs...................

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022899 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Feb 2013 - 11:01 PM

Err 99 is Canon's code that covers a multitude of possible problems. First thing is to clean the lens contacts and try it again and also try the lens on another camera. If still no joy, hit it with a lightweight hammer.

samj
    samj  3 Portugal
    25 Feb 2013 - 11:25 PM

Quote: hit it with a lightweight hammer.

Excellent advice for a luddite. Any particular make of hammer?

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Feb 2013 - 11:28 PM

It's possible you'll need to have it re-chipped before it'll function properly, otherwise the only way it'll be usable is at maximum aperture.

samj
    samj  3 Portugal
    25 Feb 2013 - 11:33 PM

I've just rattled off a mail to SIGMA asking about rechipping. Awaiting feedback.

Thanks GlennH

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022899 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Feb 2013 - 11:33 PM

Quote: Any particular make of hammer?

Most people prefer a wood shafted Vaughan Upholstery but as its a Sigma....use any old Draper Claw.
    Wink

samj
    samj  3 Portugal
    25 Feb 2013 - 11:52 PM

Quote: Most people prefer a wood shafted Vaughan Upholstery but as its a Sigma....use any old Draper Claw.Wink

noted............

Newdevonian
    26 Feb 2013 - 9:36 AM

If this was a Nikon, you would need to set the lens aperture ring to F22 (or smallest) Otherwise you get an error message.

However since it's a Canon I suggest you follow the most recent advice.

samj
    samj  3 Portugal
    26 Feb 2013 - 9:54 AM

Have contacted Sigma and been told " due to the age of the lens we do not have spares available to make it functional with newer digital cameras". I guess I can put it up for sale or something.

malburns
    malburns e2 Member 13malburns vcard England
    26 Feb 2013 - 12:15 PM

You could try an independent repairer - have a look in your local yellow pages or contact a local photographic society.

samj
    samj  3 Portugal
    26 Feb 2013 - 1:03 PM

Good idea. Thanks

GazzaG2003
    GazzaG2003  11252 forum posts England
    26 Feb 2013 - 7:06 PM

why not try use it with an extension tube that has no pins so you can use it on manual setting, does the lens have a manual aperture ring, just a thought.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.