Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Problem with "inherited" macro lens

samj e2
4 8 Portugal
25 Feb 2013 10:48PM
My Mum has passed quite a bit of gear onto me, including a Sigma macro lens (50mm 1:2.8). I have attached it to the body of my Canon EOS 30D, it fires and even autofocuses and I get readings re aperture and speed but then when I take the picture, I get a message on the screen saying " Error: Err 99 shooting is not possible. Turn the power switch to and again or reinstall the battery".

Is this lens compatible with the Canon EOS 30D? There is no indication otherwise in the instructions. Is it a bad contact? If the lens is damaged, is it worth repairing?

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers Smile

Sam

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

samj e2
4 8 Portugal
25 Feb 2013 10:53PM
Been doing some surfing on this lens and it seem to be v good quality for the money and several people are using it on Canons DSLRs...................
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
25 Feb 2013 11:01PM
Err 99 is Canon's code that covers a multitude of possible problems. First thing is to clean the lens contacts and try it again and also try the lens on another camera. If still no joy, hit it with a lightweight hammer.
samj e2
4 8 Portugal
25 Feb 2013 11:25PM

Quote: hit it with a lightweight hammer.

Excellent advice for a luddite. Any particular make of hammer?
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
25 Feb 2013 11:28PM
It's possible you'll need to have it re-chipped before it'll function properly, otherwise the only way it'll be usable is at maximum aperture.
samj e2
4 8 Portugal
25 Feb 2013 11:33PM
I've just rattled off a mail to SIGMA asking about rechipping. Awaiting feedback.

Thanks GlennH
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
25 Feb 2013 11:33PM

Quote:Any particular make of hammer?

Most people prefer a wood shafted Vaughan Upholstery but as its a Sigma....use any old Draper Claw.
Wink
samj e2
4 8 Portugal
25 Feb 2013 11:52PM

Quote:Most people prefer a wood shafted Vaughan Upholstery but as its a Sigma....use any old Draper Claw.Wink

noted............
26 Feb 2013 9:36AM
If this was a Nikon, you would need to set the lens aperture ring to F22 (or smallest) Otherwise you get an error message.

However since it's a Canon I suggest you follow the most recent advice.
samj e2
4 8 Portugal
26 Feb 2013 9:54AM
Have contacted Sigma and been told " due to the age of the lens we do not have spares available to make it functional with newer digital cameras". I guess I can put it up for sale or something.
26 Feb 2013 12:15PM
You could try an independent repairer - have a look in your local yellow pages or contact a local photographic society.
samj e2
4 8 Portugal
26 Feb 2013 1:03PM
Good idea. Thanks
GazzaG2003 e2
11 252 England
26 Feb 2013 7:06PM
why not try use it with an extension tube that has no pins so you can use it on manual setting, does the lens have a manual aperture ring, just a thought.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.