Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Problem with Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM Lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    maclarens
    maclarens  11 Scotland
    23 Sep 2011 - 8:48 AM

Back in June I started getting an error message when using this lens indicating I needed to clean the contacts. I'd take several shots then the error message would appear and I'd switch the camera on/off and was able to continue shooting. Since June the problem has got worse despite several attempts at cleaning the contacts which to be honest seem perfectly clean. I also noticed that even when I was able to take photographs, some would appear grossly over exposed. I've tried the lens with a 5D Mk II and 7D bodies and got the same problem, although updating the firmware to the latest version seemed to solve it for a while. On an old 5D body I got no problem, until this morning. It seems to have packed up altogether.

Just wondered if anyone had had a similar experience and knew what the problem might be and if it can be repaired. My suspicion is that the lens contacts are fine and that the problem might be related to the aperture fins... the grossly over exposed images would seem to indicate the lens was not stopping down occasionally.

Last Modified By maclarens at 23 Sep 2011 - 8:48 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Sep 2011 - 8:48 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    23 Sep 2011 - 11:37 AM

There's several things it could be and only a repairer would be able to find out exactly which. I recommend shipping it to Fixation for an estimate. What have you cleaned the contacts with and did you clean camera contacts too? Best thing is one of these but you have to be careful that you don't let dust from it fall into the lens or camera body.

ElSid
    ElSid  6 United Kingdom
    23 Sep 2011 - 4:08 PM

Quote: I also noticed that even when I was able to take photographs, some would appear grossly over exposed. I've tried the lens with a 5D Mk II and 7D bodies and got the same problem, although updating the firmware to the latest version seemed to solve it for a while. On an old 5D body I got no problem, until this morning. It seems to have packed up altogether.

Did the error specify dirty contacts or was it the ubiquitous Err99?

I agree that the gross overexposure sounds suspiciously like the aperture diaphragm is not closing down properly. Try setting the aperture to something reasonably smaller than maximum and depress the depth of field preview button, if the viewfinder fails to darken and the diaphragm doesn't shut down or shuts slowly when you look down the front of the lens then your diaphragm has failed in some way - in which case it's a repair shop job...

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.