Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Problem with Nikon D3100 / AF-S Nikkor 55-300 VR

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    FloKl
    FloKl 
    9 Mar 2014 - 7:58 PM

Today was the first time I tried my new lens on my camera. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take any pictures with it Sad
    The problem is, that with the 55-300 mounted, the picture in the viewfinder is significantly darker than with the 18-55. There are also grey lines that look somewhat like a fingerprint in the viewfinder. I checked the lens and there's no dirt or dust and moving the zoom works fine (can't hear any suspect sounds).
    The consequence is, that when I push the release halfway, the camer tries to focus/the lens focuses but when I push the release fully no picture is being taken.
    All this happens in broad daylight with sunshine.

I tried looking it up on the forum here and googled it, unfortunately without success.

Does anyone of you have an idea how to fix this?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Mar 2014 - 7:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown

All of which suggests that your new lens is suspect.
    I also use a D3100 and use a 55-300 as my everyday lens. It's hardly ever removed from the camera.
    I don't however, suffer any of the problems that you describe. The view through the viewfinder is as bright as with the 18-55 and there are no signs of grey lines of any kind.
    In fact, unless they're pretty significant, you'd be unlikely to see any kind of dirt or fingerprints on the lens via the viewfinder.
    Is everything OK when you use the 18-55?
    If so, then you've probably answered your own question.
    Presumably, as the lens is new, you can return it?

FloKl
    FloKl 
    9 Mar 2014 - 8:12 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

The 18-55 works fine and - yes, I can still return it (within 5 days from today). It's my first dSLR so I wanted to ask before actually sendig it back, but was afraid there will not be a way around it Sad

Jestertheclown

Good!

Then my advice would be to do just that; send it back but don't be put off. I think that you've just been unfortunate.

I assume that we're talking about a Nikon lens here, in which case, you won't be disappointed with the results when you eventually get to use it.

Cheers,

Bren.

Jestertheclown
    9 Mar 2014 - 10:23 PM

Quote: I assume that we're talking about a Nikon lens here

Sorry, I should have read (and remembered) the title of the thread!

peter53
    4 Jul 2014 - 12:24 PM

have you tired it on another camera to see if it does the same thing if don't have another camera to try it on go to you local camera shop and i am sure they could oblige you just tell them you bought lens online and ask them to try out the lens for you and they may tell what is wrong with your lens then you could contact the place where you bought , may i ask did you get a warranty when you bought the lens and was it bought new or second hand most dealers offer a 12 month warranty if so you are entitled either for a refund or a replacement.

FloKl
    FloKl 
    29 Jul 2014 - 2:44 PM

Sorry for the late reply. The problem was solved by returning the lens and getting a replacement. This one works fine now.

I think the thread can be closed now by one of the admins.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.