Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

problems problems nothing but problems

pluckyfilly e2
8 318 33 United Kingdom
24 May 2013 7:33AM

Quote:Always pay by credit card if you can. You get a lot of protection and the card company is jointly liable for any problems that you might have.
I did just that but hey ho! had mail from the company yesterday, bit stern - not that I am worried but not very customer friendly was my first thought.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

23 Jul 2013 5:49PM
Why do you think you need the full suite of Photoshop anyway? A huge part of it isn't even for photographers, it's aimed more at graphic designers. For an amateur photographer, Photoshop Elements does everything you need, barring a few filters and other bits'n'pieces, and CMYK colour space ( which you don't need unless you're a professional, or a snob with too much cash ) and is easier to use..... at 1/10th of the price. Looking at your PF ( some nice things! ) and your style of photography, I can't imagine why you'd need anything more.....the full suite of Photoshop seems like extreme overkill. And overspend. Unless I'm missing something?

Alan

P.S. Last entry on this thread is 2 months ago, so I suppose there isn't actually much point in this. Aah well.
pluckyfilly e2
8 318 33 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2013 6:32PM
I have always had PS and yes I do find it easy to use but have also to admit a lot is not used by me and I am not that clever so maybe I am a snob but I do try and improve my skills and as an oldie I am not doing too badly (well that's my thinking) I also enjoy what I do but recently having been very poorly I am not doing too much of anything least all editing my pics and posting on epz. I did try elements but I found it hard to adapt and possibly I was lazy as I didn't pursue the programme for too longBlush thanks for your input and for your comment on my PF very much appreciatedSmile
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
23 Jul 2013 7:06PM

Quote:I did try elements but I found it hard to adapt

Same here.
I've been using 'proper' Photoshop since CS2, then CS5 and now CS6.
I once installed the trial of Elements 10 to see how good (or otherwise) it actually was and I was completely underwhelmed by it. I knew it was a poor relation by comparison to its much more powerful cousin but I hadn't realised just how much poorer it was.
If you've never used CS, then I guess you might be happy with it but I found it lacking. I fact, if I was in the market for comparable software (to Elements), I'd probably go for Serif PhotoPlus.

Bren.
23 Jul 2013 7:09PM
I wasn't suggesting that you are a snob, Ann!!! That would be rude and unforgiveable. No, I made that remark because of my own personal experience of people who tried to persuade me to spend 600 of my savings when 60 seems to do the business perfectly adequately, and my own feeling is that it's a trap that a lot of people have unwittingly fallen into. Please don't be offended. I'm no youngster myself, and even Elements was a fairly steep learning curve for me. The bottom line is whatever works for you.

Alan
23 Jul 2013 7:16PM

Quote:Same here.
I've been using 'proper' Photoshop since CS2, then CS5 and now CS6.
I once installed the trial of Elements 10 to see how good (or otherwise) it actually was and I was completely underwhelmed by it. I knew it was a poor relation by comparison to its much more powerful cousin but I hadn't realised just how much poorer it was.
If you've never used CS, then I guess you might be happy with it but I found it lacking. I fact, if I was in the market for comparable software (to Elements), I'd probably go for Serif PhotoPlus.

Bren.

OK, you've got my interest..... so what would CS give me, over Elements? I know it has "Curves," but seems to me that's basically just posh "Levels." What else?
I'm prepared to be enlightened. Apart from anything else though, it seems phenomenally expensive, and us pensioners......
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
23 Jul 2013 7:54PM
Look at Corel's Paintshop Pro X5, does everything LR/PSCS/PSE can do in a package a fraction of the cost......
pluckyfilly e2
8 318 33 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2013 8:44PM
Alan I promise you I am not offended it takes a lot more than that as for the benefits of CS over and above Elements I might leave Bren to answer that but I will say once you have used it as with Elements you can just upgrade and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg every time you do that the initial expense is rather different of course.
Regards Ann
pluckyfilly e2
8 318 33 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2013 8:45PM

Quote:Look at Corel's Paintshop Pro X5, does everything LR/PSCS/PSE can do in a package a fraction of the cost......
just spotted your input Ade and while I have every respect for you and I mean that sincerely, I tried PSP and didn't like it as much as CS, sorry.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
23 Jul 2013 9:03PM
It's not everyone's cup of tea admittedly, but it's very capable once you know how to use it to the best of it's abilities.....Strange how we all have our own preferences, I've just dropped LR, for no other reason other than the fact I now have to rent the latest version and PSPX5 will do everything LR can do even if it is in a slightly more convoluted way. But in my defence I've grown up with PSP since version V4 and know it inside out, right down to all the keyboard shortcuts etc, so it just suits my workflow that much better.
pluckyfilly e2
8 318 33 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2013 9:12PM
Exactly Ade, you know it inside out and that's why I have stuck with CS, funnily enough and I blame the local camera group - I bought LR said to be FANTASTIC and I am struggling since day one all because its new to meSad
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
23 Jul 2013 9:31PM

Quote:I've just dropped LR, for no other reason other than the fact I now have to rent the latest version

Lightroom's still available as a standalone Ade, it's Photoshop that's become silly and if you go for the latest version as an upgrade, it's reasonably cheap.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
23 Jul 2013 10:19PM

Quote:Lightroom's still available as a standalone Ade, it's Photoshop that's become silly and if you go for the latest version as an upgrade, it's reasonably cheap.

You're quite right Jester, I do apologise....

I have now dropped both LR and CS, well I still have CS3 on my machines as I rather like the one or two tools in it like the cloud renderer, but I've dropped LR4.3 altogether, I've even tried LR5 as a trial and that was no better......Biggest piece of bloatware I've ever come across! But that's Adobe for you.....I know others swear by it and that's all well and good, each to their own, but I'll be sticking by my PSPX5. Folk can't say I haven't given it a fair crack of the whip......Guess I'm just a die hard Corel fan who doesn't particularly like the way Adobe conducts it's business nor do I like it's over-bloated software. It relies on the fact it's the so say industry standard and gets folk to buy into that fact, more fool them if you ask me! Tongue

That should start furore of people defending Adobe, but what the hell we all entitled to an opinion....GrinGrinGrinGrin
pluckyfilly e2
8 318 33 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2013 10:27PM
TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2013 10:28PM
I would never have thought of LR as bloatware. Loads of bits seem to be half finished and if anything too lean IMHO.
What particularly makes you feel its bloatware Ade ?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.