Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

problems problems nothing but problems

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JJGEE
JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2013 - 10:36 PM

Quote: What particularly makes you feel its bloatware Ade ?

Perhaps not bloatware BUT Adobe do admit with every release they " introduce" bugs, which then have to be fixed !
The latest bunch were over a month ago so maybe a fix will come soon ( with new / different bugs of course )

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Jul 2013 - 10:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2013 - 10:46 PM

Every program has bugs, its just a question of how you manage them really. Which is where the lr team have fallen over a bit too often.

Jestertheclown
23 Jul 2013 - 11:03 PM

Now my opinion of Lightroom's heading in the other direction!

For ages, I tried to like LR2, then 3, all to no avail. I couldn't get on with the interface, none of the tools seemed particularly impressive; in fact I only ever used it for very minor adjustments and to convert raw files.
Since my copy of LR3 broke on me and I had to use the trial of LR4, however, I suddenly came to terms with it and now that I'm using LR5, I'm positively happy with it.
I still don't agree with people who say that it's a replacement for CS and I don't think that you can finish your images without recourse to CS to follow it up but it has become a serious piece of kit and even I, a serious Photoshopper for years, am using CS less than I used to.
It does take some getting used to though.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 23 Jul 2013 - 11:04 PM
answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012518 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2013 - 11:35 PM

I've always used CaptureOne, for me it was a mistake changing to LR as I've never been truly happy with it - even Nikons own RAW convertor was better for me, but is always a personal preference.

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 23 Jul 2013 - 11:36 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314806 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2013 - 12:03 AM

Get yourself a colour checker passport K.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman  114484 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2013 - 5:39 AM

Quote: What particularly makes you feel its bloatware Ade ?

It's the actual size of the program in comparison to PSPX5, both come in around about the same size. However, when you consider that PSPX5 has a full blown image editor bundled with it, as opposed to LR which lets be honest here is nothing more than a glorified RAW convertor, you have to ask questions. It's the same with a lot of Adobe's products, take Acrobat for instance, when put in comparison with NitroPDF it's massively bloated and yet there is nothing you can do with Acrobat that you can't do with NitroPDF or a whole load of other PDF editing programs.

What's more as Jester states, LR is full of bugs and errors and that's despite being released as a Beta so it could be tested before final release (that's become a bit of a joke!)......PSPX5 is polished, works, doesn't crash every two minutes or as Jester has experienced break down altogether and does practically everything both LR and CS6 can do together with aplomb in most cases. And yet Adobe still wants you to part with and lets face it here, an extortionate and inane amount of money for what it does and is.

I urge anyone who is seriously considering changing their processing software to download the trials of all the programs mentioned and to take a serious look at PSPX5, you might just be pleasantly surprised at just how good it has now become, then compare the prices. If you're a Pro I can understand the arguments for Adobe software, but otherwise and trust me on this it's a no brainer at least for the serious amateur who can't afford to go throwing his money around.

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 24 Jul 2013 - 5:40 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2013 - 7:03 AM

Quote: And yet Adobe still wants you to part with and lets face it here, an extortionate and inane amount of money for what it does and is.

Not sure why you think it's extortionate, it's the same price as PSP X5. Switching to Lightroom for me replaced:
*Downloader Pro
*Media Pro
*Capture One
*QImage

so represents quite a saving on buying individual bits of software.

It's really hard to tell from the website, does PSP X5 have equivalents to the download, catalogue and web modules that LR has ?

JJGEE
JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2013 - 7:34 AM

Quote: and to take a serious look at PSPX5

Just checked out Corel's website.

It appears you need a computer than only runs the Windows Operating System ! !

So, if you take into account the cost of buying a new computer as well as the 59 for the software it is certainly NOT worth considering .

pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 7282 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2013 - 8:20 AM

Quote: Get yourself a colour checker passport K.

What on earth is that?

lobsterboy
24 Jul 2013 - 8:24 AM

Quote: Get yourself a colour checker passport K. What on earth is that?

This

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Ade_Osman
24 Jul 2013 - 8:40 AM

Quote: *Downloader Pro
*Media Pro
*Capture One
*QImage

PSPX5 does everything those programs do plus most things CS6 will do on top Grin

Quote: It appears you need a computer than only runs the Windows Operating System ! !

Admittedly your stuffed if you're in the minority and are using a MAC

lobsterboy
24 Jul 2013 - 8:53 AM

Quote: PSPX5 does everything those programs do plus most things CS6 will do on top

Ahh ha, I see. What is it with Software companies, they all seem to make it really difficult to see what their software actually does!
Yeah, PSP X5 does look to be a bit of a bargain then.

Ade_Osman
24 Jul 2013 - 8:59 AM

Quote: It appears you need a computer than only runs the Windows Operating System ! !

I wonder if that's why LR, CS and Acrobat seems to be so bloated, by this I mean we all know that LR and CS is primarily designed for use with macs, does it not convert very well when they have to adjust the coding to get it to work on Windows machines? And going along the same school of thought, is this why the current versions it seem to be full of bugs and errors? Do Mac users have the same problems with the recent bugs and errors?

Any thoughts Jeff (JJGEE) or any other Mac users for that matter.....??

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 24 Jul 2013 - 9:02 AM
lobsterboy
24 Jul 2013 - 9:10 AM

Quote: I wonder if that's why LR, CS and Acrobat seems to be so bloated, by this I mean we all know that LR and CS is primarily designed for use with macs, does it not convert very well when they have to adjust the coding to get to work on Windows machines?

Depends on how it is written but there is usually an overhead on making something cross-platform.

Quote:
is this why the current versions it seem to be full of bugs and errors?

I didn't think it was that bad? Just one major bug on exporting is all I have heard about.
Multiple hardware platforms/multiple OSs increase the number of things that can go wrong & the number of things you have to test for, so could have an effect. A lot of companies that are used to coding for the Macs rigidly controlled environment (with few options for hardware & OS) seem to do badly when faced with the wide variety found in the PC arena.

pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 7282 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2013 - 9:24 AM

Quote: Get yourself a colour checker passport K. What on earth is that?

This

thanks for the link Lobsterboy of course I knew about this but not as a colour checker, colour monkey I have heard mentioned at camera club locally, not sure where it fits into this thread but again thanks
Ann

Last Modified By pluckyfilly at 24 Jul 2013 - 9:25 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.