Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Problems shutting down PC

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Ajay
    Ajay  8149 forum posts
    28 Aug 2007 - 4:46 PM

When i click on the shut down icon (xp) my PC freezes and i have to shut down manually. Is there any other way to shut down my PC? Any advice gratefully received.

Alan

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Aug 2007 - 4:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Take-a-View
    28 Aug 2007 - 4:54 PM

try windows task manager (press ctrl, alt, del, keys) which will let you shut down PC or individual applications)

User_Removed
    28 Aug 2007 - 5:02 PM

Quote: my PC freezes and i have to shut down manually.

Hmmmm.... couple of immediate concerns there. One - it freezes. Sounds like you have some kind of major 'conflict' going on somewhere. Two - by manually shutting down, do you mean you are pulling the power cord? If so, that is not going to help the situation.

What happens if you boot into 'Safe' mode? Do you know how to run 'chkdsk /F' from a bootable floppy disk or a bootable utilities CD that will give you 'DOS' access to run the 'CheckDisk' ('chkdsk /F').

When did you last defrag the pagefile?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 28 Aug 2007 - 5:05 PM
    Ajay
    Ajay  8149 forum posts
    28 Aug 2007 - 5:19 PM

Thanks, Ian and Mike.

I've tried shutting down via task manager but i just get the blue screen with windows is shutting down - but it doesn't.

Mike, I'm turning it of via the on/off power
    button. My computer skills are limited to say the least, Mike.

I'm quite adept at following instructions. Any tips on defragging the pagefile?

deviant
    deviant  103024 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Aug 2007 - 5:30 PM

It sounds more like the problem with the registry that's common on XP machines. Go to microsoft and download the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service. Install it. Reboot. Login and then Logout. May well clear up your problem.

User_Removed
    28 Aug 2007 - 6:31 PM

Interesting David...

My m/c can be slow to shut down - at times - takes an age... Just installed your suggestion and it now starts a lot quicker that's for sure. I'll check the shutdown later. Wink

Ajay
    Ajay  8149 forum posts
    29 Aug 2007 - 9:24 AM

Thanks for the link, David.

New PC advice:

Given the creaking and groaning from my PC in recent months, i'm thinking of replacing it before it dies on me. I'd be grateful for any advice regarding minimum spec/manufactures... PC will be used mainly for image processing/editing with Capture one and photoshop CS2.

Thanks

Alan

rossd
    rossd  111061 forum posts England
    29 Aug 2007 - 7:04 PM

Quote: defrag the pagefile

Where's the moderator - people using language like that should be banned !!

mlewis
    mlewis  91470 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Aug 2007 - 10:24 PM

How to defrag the pagefile in Windows XP.

Go the the virtual memory settings and turn off the pagefile. Windows will complain but let you do it. Restart the computer. You will now have no pagefile. Defragment your disks. Now you should have a nice empty piece of disk ready to put a contiguous pagefile. Go to the virtual memory settings and turn on the pagefile. Windows will now create a nice shiny non fragmented pagefile. No restart needed.

To defrag a disk properly you will need at least 15% free space on it available.

PC specs for Photoshop etc. Get as much RAM as you can. The current dual core processors from AMD or Intel will all work fine. Get a fast a one as you can afford. If you have a 32bit OS - WinXP, 32bit versions of Vista - don't get any more RAM than 4GB as the maximum amount of RAM a 32bit OS can see is somewhere between 3 and 4GB depending on what hardware you are running. Get some nice large hard disks to store all the photos. Make sure you budget for monitor calibration kit if you don't already have any.

KevinEllison
    KevinEllison e2 Member 72417 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
    30 Aug 2007 - 12:12 AM

Quote: people using language like that should be banned

you're not alone...!

Quote: Go the the virtual memory settings and turn off the pagefile.

How..? where..?

My Compaq with AMD64 was bought with the promise that 64 bit programs would arrive and make things lightening fast..now all I see is 'dual core' blah...blah.. I'm totally confused..!!

dougv
    dougv Site Moderator 108357 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Aug 2007 - 12:17 AM

Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced Tab > Settings Button > Advanced Tab > Virtual Memory at bottom of box use the button to change the paging file size.

Do it at your own risk...
    Smile

KevinEllison
    KevinEllison e2 Member 72417 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
    30 Aug 2007 - 12:31 AM

Thanks Doug... I'll have a look...cautiously..!!
    Kevin.

As an irrelevant aside....Graphic Designer daughter has just taken delivery of an I-mac (to do some freelance work)....absolutely stunning piece of weaponry... massive screen, wafer thin keyboard and a mouse..and that's it..!! No intentions of possible 'contamination' by connection to the Interweb and what she doesn't know about Quark and Adobe isn't worth knowing.. just gotta nail her feet to the floor and 'learn' me..!!!

Last Modified By KevinEllison at 30 Aug 2007 - 12:42 AM
    dougv
    dougv Site Moderator 108357 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Aug 2007 - 12:33 AM

Make a note of what it is set at before you change it!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.