Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Problems shutting down PC

Ajay e2
9 149
28 Aug 2007 4:46PM
When i click on the shut down icon (xp) my PC freezes and i have to shut down manually. Is there any other way to shut down my PC? Any advice gratefully received.

Alan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Take-a-View e2
10 293 5 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2007 4:54PM
try windows task manager (press ctrl, alt, del, keys) which will let you shut down PC or individual applications)
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
28 Aug 2007 5:02PM

Quote:my PC freezes and i have to shut down manually.

Hmmmm.... couple of immediate concerns there. One - it freezes. Sounds like you have some kind of major 'conflict' going on somewhere. Two - by manually shutting down, do you mean you are pulling the power cord? If so, that is not going to help the situation.

What happens if you boot into 'Safe' mode? Do you know how to run 'chkdsk /F' from a bootable floppy disk or a bootable utilities CD that will give you 'DOS' access to run the 'CheckDisk' ('chkdsk /F').

When did you last defrag the pagefile?
Ajay e2
9 149
28 Aug 2007 5:19PM
Thanks, Ian and Mike.

I've tried shutting down via task manager but i just get the blue screen with windows is shutting down - but it doesn't.

Mike, I'm turning it of via the on/off power
button. My computer skills are limited to say the least, Mike.

I'm quite adept at following instructions. Any tips on defragging the pagefile?
deviant e2
10 3.0k 1 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2007 5:30PM
It sounds more like the problem with the registry that's common on XP machines. Go to microsoft and download the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service . Install it. Reboot. Login and then Logout. May well clear up your problem.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
28 Aug 2007 6:31PM
Interesting David...

My m/c can be slow to shut down - at times - takes an age... Just installed your suggestion and it now starts a lot quicker that's for sure. I'll check the shutdown later. Wink
Ajay e2
9 149
29 Aug 2007 9:24AM
Thanks for the link, David.

New PC advice:

Given the creaking and groaning from my PC in recent months, i'm thinking of replacing it before it dies on me. I'd be grateful for any advice regarding minimum spec/manufactures... PC will be used mainly for image processing/editing with Capture one and photoshop CS2.

Thanks

Alan
rossd 11 1.1k England
29 Aug 2007 7:04PM

Quote:defrag the pagefile

Where's the moderator - people using language like that should be banned !!
mlewis e2
10 1.5k United Kingdom
29 Aug 2007 10:24PM
How to defrag the pagefile in Windows XP.

Go the the virtual memory settings and turn off the pagefile. Windows will complain but let you do it. Restart the computer. You will now have no pagefile. Defragment your disks. Now you should have a nice empty piece of disk ready to put a contiguous pagefile. Go to the virtual memory settings and turn on the pagefile. Windows will now create a nice shiny non fragmented pagefile. No restart needed.

To defrag a disk properly you will need at least 15% free space on it available.

PC specs for Photoshop etc. Get as much RAM as you can. The current dual core processors from AMD or Intel will all work fine. Get a fast a one as you can afford. If you have a 32bit OS - WinXP, 32bit versions of Vista - don't get any more RAM than 4GB as the maximum amount of RAM a 32bit OS can see is somewhere between 3 and 4GB depending on what hardware you are running. Get some nice large hard disks to store all the photos. Make sure you budget for monitor calibration kit if you don't already have any.
30 Aug 2007 12:12AM

Quote:people using language like that should be banned

you're not alone...!

Quote:Go the the virtual memory settings and turn off the pagefile.

How..? where..?

My Compaq with AMD64 was bought with the promise that 64 bit programs would arrive and make things lightening fast..now all I see is 'dual core' blah...blah.. I'm totally confused..!!
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
30 Aug 2007 12:17AM
Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced Tab > Settings Button > Advanced Tab > Virtual Memory at bottom of box use the button to change the paging file size.

Do it at your own risk...
Smile
30 Aug 2007 12:31AM
Thanks Doug... I'll have a look...cautiously..!!
Kevin.

As an irrelevant aside....Graphic Designer daughter has just taken delivery of an I-mac (to do some freelance work)....absolutely stunning piece of weaponry... massive screen, wafer thin keyboard and a mouse..and that's it..!! No intentions of possible 'contamination' by connection to the Interweb and what she doesn't know about Quark and Adobe isn't worth knowing.. just gotta nail her feet to the floor and 'learn' me..!!!
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
30 Aug 2007 12:33AM
Make a note of what it is set at before you change it!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.