Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Problems with fill in flash

brame e2
12 3 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2002 7:06PM
I enjoy portrait photography mainly of my children
I have an eos 300 and with the standard lens I was getting great photos using fill in flash for the catch lights. So I invested in a 75 to 300 mm lens to use for portrait work. But as soon as I use the pop up lens it sets the speed to 90th and thus using the camera handheld the pictures, are blurred. You cannot manually overide. Any ideas???
Other then using a tripod as I like natural un posed portraits.
Thanks
Bill

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

4 Apr 2002 8:05PM
Hiya Bill, I also have the EOS 300 and 28-90/75-300 lens outfit. The reason your camera is jumping to 1/90th sec is because this is the fastest sync speed that the flash can be set to. You can actually set it faster in "M" mode but it will jump straight back to 1/90th.

The reason that this is so is due to the way the shutters work in the camera. If you were able to set a shutter speed faster than the sync speed (1/90th) then only a narrow slit of the negetive/transparency will be exposed, due to the way the shutter curtains work at high shutter speeds.

As for getting around this problem the only thing I can see is a tripod, which doesnt help you, other than that maybe using an external flash would help? anyone?

Hope this helps,
Jamie.
8 May 2002 8:32PM
I've used that very same lens for fill-flash outdoor portrature on my EOS 100. I agree the shutter speed seems slowish, but if you really concentrate at the moment of exposure I find that using the lens at 300mm is fine. And people have no idea you're getting such big bold closeups.

tom.
11 Jun 2002 10:21PM
Bill, you might consider using a monopod (with a ball head fitted) they offer about two stop extra steadiness and are much more manoeuvrable than tripods. A good compromise.

Anton
5 Jul 2002 4:38PM
I guess youre using the wrong lens ... portrait lens is between 80mm and 135mm ... when you use a long zoom you have the problem of handholding it. Try to swap your 28-80mm for a 28-105mm or 28-135mm and use a focal length bigger than 100mm for your portraits.
These lenses are much more lighter than the 75-300mm or 100-300mm and youll have no problem using it handholded.
About the speed youre getting, its the maximum flash sync speed your camera can get (as was said in some previous answers) and theres no way to override it ... the flash sync speed is a characteristic of the camera ... try a EOS5 (A2A) that has a 1/250 flash sync speed.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.