Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Problen viewing images in Photoshop

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    southsnapper
    8 Jan 2007 - 11:53 AM

When I open pictures in Picassa or any other photo program they look fine, however when I open them in Photoshop 6 they look too dark, adjusting the brightness makes the pictures too light in other programs.

I've calibrated my monitor using the software that came with it, the monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster, should I also be calibrating Photoshop? if so how do I do that?

I should say I know very little about imaging software, I've only really been taking pictures with anything other then a point and shoot compact for 3 or 4 months.

Thanks Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Jan 2007 - 11:53 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mlewis
    mlewis  91470 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Jan 2007 - 12:57 PM

This is a colour management issue. First of all to calibrate a monitor you need a hardware device such as the Eye One Diplay 2, Huey, Spyder 2.

Secondly, Picassa is not a colour managed application and Photoshop is which is the cause of the dispaly differences.

If you calibrate your monitor with a hardware device such as those mentioned above then Photoshop will automatically be aware of this and display the correct colours. You will have to accept that until Picassa becomes colour managed it will not display colours correctly.

Dennie
    Dennie  9260 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Jan 2007 - 1:01 PM

I dont know much about calibration so i stand corrected if im wrong.

If it seems ok in the other programs why not try printing one out then open the image in photoshop and print one and compare it might be one or other of the software not your monitor or printer .
    have you tried doing a two image side by side compliation and posting it on here for comparrison.

just a starting point. Denise

southsnapper
    8 Jan 2007 - 1:27 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I should have mentioned that it is only recently this issue has arisen, in the past images looked the same which ever program I opened them in.

I've also printed the same photo from Photoshop and Picassa, the photos form both looked fine, also if I post I've changed the size of with out altering anything else, they also look fine on the web, its just in Photoshop that they look dark.

Have you any suggestions for a monitor calibration

southsnapper
    8 Jan 2007 - 8:06 PM

I've managed to fix it.

Click on View, then Proof set up and chose Monitor RGB option, photo's now look right in Photoshop.

sharonf
    sharonf  787 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Jan 2007 - 8:20 PM

hi
    i've had the same problem, i thought i was doing something wrong, i've just done what you said and hey presto, i can see my images perfect, just like to say thanks for thatSmile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.