Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Processing DICOM files advice

Camairish 9 1.3k Scotland
26 Jan 2012 5:22PM
Does anyone have experience or advice about converting DICOM files into a format that I can use in e.g. Lightroom? I can get small jpegs from the original files but there's not enough info in them to work with.
Thanks, Ian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
26 Jan 2012 5:39PM
26 Jan 2012 6:24PM
Thanks - I saw that & tried some free software to no avail. The original DICOM files (x rays) are approx 11MB and I can view them with a medical program ok. I want to be able to work on the files in photo editing software too for artistic effect. The 200kb jpegs I can open in Lightroom but they are pretty poor when enlarged.
Thanks anyway, Ian.
Big Bri 13 15.6k United Kingdom
26 Jan 2012 7:28PM
If you'd asked me 5 years ago......Sad
vetcameraman 10 145 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2012 11:55PM
I guess one option would be to go back to the digital x-ray hardware/software supplier to see if they have any options, but (not that we use digital) the blurb usually seems to be that the effort has gone into practice management systems opening DICOM directly, rather than coversion to another format.
A quick Google brought up these options:
2 has a few suggestions
3 seems to give a detailed description of the topic with suggestions of which IRFANVIEW seems an option mentioned elsewhere.
No guarantees - as I said no need for this yet as we're still using developer and fixer!

HTH

Martin
27 Jan 2012 8:06PM
Thanks Martin - I'll look into those links.

Ian.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.