Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Processing RAW from EOS 5D Mk II (or 50D)

11 Mar 2009 9:48AM
Having bought a 5D2, I was aware that PS CS3 could not process the Raw files directly. At this stage I am not prepared to upgrade to CS4 (I may well upgrade to CS5 paying 150+ to Adobe every 3 years is quite enough). So I am left with two obvious choices for Raw conversion, DNG or DPP. I have been using DNG instead of CR2 for my 20D and have been very satisfied (no more lost editing through missing sidecar files) and I could not detect any significant difference between using CR2 or DNG. I have not used DPP so I am not familiar with it and a quick look suggests that it is less comprehensive and less user friendly than Adobe Raw.

The 5D2 (and I believe the 50D) has introduced a number of features such as:

Lens Correction
Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction
Picture Styles
Auto Highlights Optimiser

If you are using JPEG then these features are applied in camera but I only use Raw so my understanding is that these features have to be applied in the Raw Converter. The relevant settings are passed with the Raw file to be read and actioned by DPP. However, if you use ARC or DNG then these settings will not be actioned. Of course you can correct lenses, changes colour, sharpen and reduce noise in ARC but will have to do so manually or set up your own stored settings.

Now for the question. Will I really be missing out by using ARC or DNG and not using DPP? Or is it feasible to batch convert in DPP perhaps just processing the Camera settings then saving as 16 bit TIFF and editing in ARC. The latter would add an extra operation but I would much prefer to do most my editing in ARC. I would like to hear from any 5D2 or 50D owners on how they are dealing with this.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Centurion e2
10 1.2k England
11 Mar 2009 1:22PM
I know photographers who use cs3 to open the 5d mk2 files. Have you tried updating bridge & acr?
PMeldrum e2
10 480 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2009 2:13PM
Dave

I import all my 5DMkII images into Lightroom 2.2 and if I need to edit in PS then it migrates really well.

Again ACR, colour changes, sharpening can all be applied on import to Lightroom with the use of a Preset.

HTH
stevemelvin e2
9 675 2 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2009 4:29PM
Dave,

I've had the same thoughts recently, having now upgraded to the 5D2. I normally use Capture One 4 and the latest version (4.6.2)copes with the 5D2 and works well.

But it doesn't recognise the new Canon features you mention. So I've been thinking about trying out DPP as I've started to hear some very positive comments about the latest version. It's a lot better than it used to be.

From others' comments, the image quality from DPP is not quite as good as Capture One (which is Capture One's real forte), but it's better than ACR/Lightroom. But, then again, Lightroom probably wins on a workflow front. So it comes down to what's more important to you.

But it's definitely worth giving DPP a go before you decide anything.

Steve
11 Mar 2009 5:03PM
Steve thanks for your comment. At this stage I do not plan to spend any more on software (I really need a new lens next) so Lightroom and other Raw products are out. You may be right that I will have to start using DPP but I think I may do some tests and process some photographs in DPP and a parallel set converted to DNG then processed in CS3.

Centurian, anyone who is processing 5D MkII Raw files in CS3 must be converting to DNG first. The first version of Adobe Raw which can handle the 5D Mk II is 5.2 which is only supported by CS4. Perhaps you are thinking of the EOS 50D which is supported in CS3.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.