Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Processing raw using Google Picasa

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2005 - 10:49 AM

For those of you trying out Raw Shooter Essentials, there is another piece of software you should take a look at - Google Picasa.

You may already know that Picasa is a free photo cataloguing app, but it also has some basic photo editing functions and as it reads raw files it can process them.

I doubt it would be much good with shots which needed serious adjustments, the controls are ilmited and some only have an auto option, but this shot] was processed with Picasa.

If you don't want to (or can't afford) Capture 1 and can't get RSE to work for you Picasa may give you another option.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Mar 2005 - 10:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conniemayw
28 Mar 2005 - 11:58 AM

thankyou VERY much-this could be horribly useful!!!!
Regards
connie

digicammad
29 Mar 2005 - 12:29 AM

You're welcome Connie. As I said, it may not have sufficient control of adjustments for many shots but even if you just use it to read the raw files and export (jpeg only I think) it could help.

Ian

mipettin
mipettin  10884 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Mar 2005 - 3:23 AM

Ian - thanks for pointing this out - used it last night and it worked really well. May upload the shot I processed tonight. Also exploring Picasa - it is great for reviewing shots on a card via the slideshow feature and the Fill Light option seems to work well too. The more I use it the more I like it - also has some interesting plug ins that I have tried - including differential focus filter. Well worth a look IMO and I suspect I will be uninstalling Photoshop Album 2.

digicammad
29 Mar 2005 - 3:34 AM

Quote: I suspect I will be uninstalling Photoshop Album 2.

I did within hours of installing Picasa. :0)

conrad
conrad  910873 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
29 Mar 2005 - 4:57 AM

Now youre making it difficult, Ian! I really like ACD See, but it doesnt process raw, so...

Conrad

digicammad
29 Mar 2005 - 4:59 AM

and it isn't free. :0)

conrad
conrad  910873 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
29 Mar 2005 - 5:03 AM

The one I have, is (came with a magazine - free previous edition of the software).

Conrad

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jun 2006 - 9:19 PM

I wish I'd spotted this earlier Ian.

As it is, I have just downloaded Picasa2 and its happily cataloguing all my images - what a remarkable little programme, quick too (and as you say FREE, my favourite price Smile.

I suspect I may end ditching some of my existing software if it continues to be so clever! )

Mitzi
Mitzi  81011 forum posts
25 Jun 2006 - 9:33 PM

I have already said on the other thread how ace I find this software to be. It found all my pix super fast and I now have them all under one roof! One query - how do I download a pic into CS2 or RS Premium in order to do other work?

digicammad
26 Jun 2006 - 7:33 AM

You should be able to just right click on the image and choose edit from the pop up menu, as long as your file associations are correct. If not, choose edit with and PS should be on the submenu.

Mitzi
Mitzi  81011 forum posts
26 Jun 2006 - 9:24 AM

Digi - my thanks! I am still in trouble! When I right click on a pic I can go to 'open with' and CS2 is in there but not RS Premium or Capture 1. The pic will open in CS2 - which is good - but I really need the others.

I was hoping to be able to scrap all my pic folders except Picasa and just use Picasa - that would be very convenient. It is a super package.

Mitzi
Mitzi  81011 forum posts
26 Jun 2006 - 3:35 PM

I see Adobe have taken over RS Premium!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2006 - 7:08 PM

Adobe have taken over Pixmantec - the news is here - and are immediately discontinuing RS Premium. The free RS Essentials will be continued for a while but only until Adobe Lightroom has been fully beta tested.

Had to happen I guess - RawShooter is just too damn good and the company too damn small!

Mitzi
Mitzi  81011 forum posts
26 Jun 2006 - 7:24 PM

I must admit I was surprised at how good RSE was originally and it just got better with 2006 and Premium. I suppose we will now have to pay an Adobe arm and a leg for it. I still cannot see how CS2 can be 850. I am told that CS2 can be easily bought as a rip-off copy for 5! How do folk do that? Amazing.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.