Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Processing star trails

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    muffie123
    muffie123  1
    22 Nov 2012 - 2:54 PM

I have just processed a photo in Raw Elements 9. On converting it to jpeg , the trails have fragmented. Any ideas how I can remedy this?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Nov 2012 - 2:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Nov 2012 - 2:56 PM

What quality did you set the jpeg at? The fragmentation will be as a result of compression so the normal way to avoid it would be to set a high quality.

muffie123
    muffie123  1
    22 Nov 2012 - 3:09 PM

Thanks digicammad. I will give up the quality now and see if that works. Great

Metalhead
    Metalhead  71878 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Nov 2012 - 3:16 PM

It's not necessarily the quality of the Jpegs, it might be a problem at the "taking" stage.

Am I right in thinking you're stacking several shots to get a long exposure and show movement in the star trails? There might be a chance that you had a long exposure noise correction setting on your camera which takes an equally long shot with the shutter closed to get a "dark frame" which is subtracted from the image just taken. During that time the stars will have moved in the sky by a small amount so when the second shot is taken there's been a time gap.

When you come to stack these images it will leave dark spaces or dots between each trail.

Bit difficult to explain, but it does make sense if you think about it! Or it could simply be the lag of the camera saving the first shot to card before starting the next shot. All depends on lots of factors such as if you used a continuous shooting mode etc, long exposure noise correction on or off, and a number of other things.

Can you provide any more details? Either of the desired end result or the shooting situation?

muffie123
    muffie123  1
    24 Nov 2012 - 2:27 PM

Thanks for your info. I actually just put the camera on bulb and left it for 45mins. There was almost no moon so the sky was dark. I had the noise reduction on, ISO 100 and F4.5 I will give it another go when the sky is suitable again. I have done stacking but I will read up about it.
    I had the quality set at 2 tried upping it but it didnt make any difference. I have since managed to convert to jpeg but the photo is still 6+MB and I had hoped to get it below 1Mb

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41218 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Nov 2012 - 5:42 PM

Try processing it full sized, then saving as a jpg full sized, then saving at lower quality. Consider also reducing the size and resolution of the image before the quality.

Nick

muffie123
    muffie123  1
    24 Nov 2012 - 5:49 PM

Thanks I will give that a go

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.