Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Processing to Black & White

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Aug 2010 - 10:16 PM

Quote: This method works for me in Lightroom though I should imagine it works in PS also, its simple, intuitive and doesnt involve buying expensive plugins.

StuSmile

Thanks for that Stu; I will give it a go!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Aug 2010 - 10:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
5 Aug 2010 - 11:45 PM

this action nick... .

do you end up with 3 mono layers, one for each channel, 2 of them masked out with the bottom one showing fully?

that'd be pretty cool

you could then just use a light brush on their masks to draw in bits you'd like to be "different"

User_Removed
5 Aug 2010 - 11:59 PM

Quote: this action nick... .

Looks interesting Nick - I'd love a bit more detail too.Smile

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2010 - 12:13 AM

You got it Ade Wink took ages to get right tho

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2010 - 9:40 AM

yeah I bet - looks like a right faff creating those new documents and copying layers and all that!

To help us appreciate the benefits of your method, you could always share said action Wink

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2010 - 9:59 AM

Quote: To help us appreciate the benefits of your method, you could always share said action Wink

eer took me ages get right, - Takes 10 seconds to run. I think I will keep hold of it for now Wink

ade_mcfade
6 Aug 2010 - 10:06 AM

....must be crap then, if it was any good you'd want to share it Tongue

Nick_w
6 Aug 2010 - 10:07 AM

I could always do a DVD and sell it through the web site Wink

ade_mcfade
6 Aug 2010 - 11:54 AM

lol - good luck with that Wink

Hasn't keith done a tutorial on Northscape too?

So lets list the various methods then...

Desaturate
Gradient Map
Hue Saturation - saturation=0
Channel Mixer
Black And White layer - CS3 and above
Channels
Nik Silver EFX
(various other external filter packages - e.g. virtual photographer)

Nick_w
6 Aug 2010 - 12:04 PM

You forgot LAB Ade

ade_mcfade
6 Aug 2010 - 1:12 PM

nice one - any more?

Nick_w
6 Aug 2010 - 1:19 PM

No thats about it, tho there are countless combinations there off and variations on a theme e.g Rob Carr method is a very sophisticated variant of LAB processing (sometimes use for portraints).

There isnt much in terms of mono processing I havent tried.

Did you say Greyscale (tho how that differs from desataturation I don't know - probably just uses luminoscity values).

Nick_w
6 Aug 2010 - 1:38 PM

There was one .. Calculations (I sometimes thro one of those into the soup for good measure)

User_Removed
7 Aug 2010 - 9:52 AM

Quote: Hasn't keith done a tutorial on Northscape too?

Yes - and it's detailed and clear.

It's not an approach I've tried, but for some shots it might be worth a try. I'd be interested to try this approach against a SFEX, though to be a fair comparison you'd need to be quite practiced at it first.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.