Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Procrastination

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2011 - 11:08 AM

Help...?

What do you do when you just can not get motivated to do any of the multitude of tasks that you should be doing?

My normal solution is to make a list of the jobs that I should be doing and then to take some satisfaction from ticking them off one by one. That is not working.

I think it is because I don't have a time limit. Since I am not currently working there is no deadline by which I have to get the tasks finished, and therefore the impetus to start them is just missing.

I need a strategy - else I will be offered a new job and then still be in a mess because I have not completed these tasks. I know that I should be doing them, but...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Nov 2011 - 11:08 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
28 Nov 2011 - 11:16 AM

I'm exactly the same, I Googled for help but just don't know which to read first. Think I'll have a bit read of the epz forums first then click on one of those links. Maybe after I've been on Facebook to find what my friends think of last night's TV / food / misc.

28-11-2011-11-14-15.jpg

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73878 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2011 - 11:19 AM

Hi Cheryl,

Write your list - and be realistic. Then strike off the ones that can be let go / or delegate them. Start with the ones you hate doing, the ones you like will be easy and enjoyable at the end.

Set yourself a deadline (maybe promise yourself a reward if you achieve your aims).

Also get yourself out, have a walk or something just to clear the head make yourself feel good.

If you achieve your goals you will feel better.

User_Removed
28 Nov 2011 - 11:20 AM

I did once listen to a Tony Robbins talk on the subject. He says everything we do in life is to avoid pain and to seek pleasure. We only do painful things when to do not do them will be more painful, that's our motivation.

The example he gives is of tidying his apartment when he was younger. It was always easier (and less painful) to watch TV. Until the point where the place is that messy that you can't find anything and it's more painful to continue than the pain of tidying up.

Similarly avoiding homework til the day before it's due in, then painfully rushing it.

I never found out the solution because I cba to listen to the rest of his talks!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110269 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2011 - 11:27 AM

I always used Nick's method (and indeed, used to use it in time management courses that I ran for my company)

If there is a financial benefit to be achieved (I'm assuming these are part of your pro work?) flag up those that give the biggest reward for your time and try to hit those first.

Another trick can be to schedule in time for something you want to do rather than have to do and use this to break up the bulk a bit

csurry
28 Nov 2011 - 11:28 AM

Your first post Chris sounds exactly like my day to day activity at the moment.

I think the problem is that a number of the tasks are conflicting.

I have a number of "irons in the fire" so to speak with regards to new roles.

A couple require me to read up on some new technology, etc. The thing is, if I don't get the role then I could have been doing one of the other tasks. And that's why I can't decide which to do first. Do I concentrate on the role I might like the best, or the one most likely to happen?

Aaarrrgggggghhhh! Would be easier if I could work out which role is more likely to happen and when.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73878 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2011 - 11:32 AM

The one you like best - then it will become more likely to happen as you will be better informed. That is unless the one you want is a pipe dream, then concentrate on the one currently most likely to happen.

Why not split the day
1. 1 hour most likely project
2. 1 hour pet project
3. 1 hour "me" time

and repeat. Also look at common functions between the two which would benifit either position.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 28 Nov 2011 - 11:36 AM
User_Removed
28 Nov 2011 - 11:51 AM

Sounds like you may have a complex interweaving and interdependency of tasks. This often happens to me and I end up putting a load of stuff on the backburner.

A simplified fictional example of the sort of thing that might happen:

I need to paint the windowsill but have to clear the benches first and the dishwasher is full. I can't put the dishwasher on because I've ran out of dishwasher tablets. I can't go to the shop to buy any tablets because I'm in my scruffy painting clothes, as soon as I paint this windowsill I'll get changed.

I get into more complex versions of that which feature a myriad of people, emails, phone calls, meetings and it's hard to sort out and easier to procrastinate.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 28 Nov 2011 - 11:53 AM
keith selmes
28 Nov 2011 - 11:55 AM

Quote: I think the problem is that a number of the tasks are conflicting.

I have a number of "irons in the fire" so to speak with regards to new roles.

I get that all the time. So I come here instead. Smile

Make sure the list includes either

a) some things you know you want to do or absolutely have to do

b) some things you already have done

e.g. "ask for advice on ephotozine"

At the end of the day you can tick those off and at least your morale should improve.

csurry
28 Nov 2011 - 12:03 PM

Thanks so far.

I have created a new list. Trying to prioritise the items is a bit of an issue.

In the meantime I am not just reading this thread I am actually rewriting my CV (again). Though this one is specifically for one of the potential roles. So at least I am focusing on something.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014814 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2011 - 12:23 PM

Get Brian Tracey's book "Eat that Frog"

I got the audio book and listen to it from time to time - all about working out what the biggest, scariest, most important task you have to do - doing that first, then everything else gets easier.

There's more to it, but that's the jist.

csurry
28 Nov 2011 - 12:30 PM

I bought it on the Kindle for iPad but have not got around to reading it.

Seriously!!!

Last Modified By csurry at 28 Nov 2011 - 12:31 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014814 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2011 - 12:31 PM

lol - actually, the MP3 is great because you can do chores and learn at the same time. my satnav has an MP3 player and I put books on that when I've a long journey.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82324 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2011 - 1:13 PM

I used to procrastinate over everything. Now I just can't be bothered WinkWinkWink

Seriously, I believe sometimes when you don't feel motivated to do anything it's your bodies way of telling to take a break. However, ultimately, and at some point you have to start somewhere and any start usually leads to new ideas on how to progress.

csurry
28 Nov 2011 - 1:32 PM

You could be right Adam, but that was the point of having October free to do whatever I wanted after a really busy period of work.

I suppose I expected to just be able to get back in to things without too much effort.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.