Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Procrastination

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
keith selmes
28 Nov 2011 - 2:34 PM

Quote: any start usually leads to new ideas on how to progress

I find it so.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Nov 2011 - 2:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85741 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2011 - 8:52 PM

Go to bed with one fixed mind set - awake tomorrow and do it, no matter how you feel thenSmile

At least one particular chore will have been completedWink

Last Modified By tomcat at 28 Nov 2011 - 8:54 PM
Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2011 - 8:55 PM

My goodness, are you me? I do exactly the same - lists everywhere. I am a terrible procrastinator. I have no solution I'm afraid. I wish I knew the answer.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103956 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2011 - 10:10 PM

Quote: "Do you know what happens when you give a procrastinator a good idea? Nothing!"

Grin

I always worked on the principle of doing the thing that's hardest first...but then I found Homer Simpson...who said:-

If somethings hard to do, it's not worth doing!! Grin

how about giving yourself a treat every time you finish something?...or just start at the beginning and do each job one at a time...?

or finally...JUST GET ON WITH IT!!!!! Wink

Last Modified By cats_123 at 28 Nov 2011 - 10:11 PM
jondf
jondf  72470 forum posts
28 Nov 2011 - 11:42 PM

Not starting or completing tasks?

a) Fear of failure

b) Fear of praise

A childhood based sense of dread that can be very debilitating. It can be overcome by applying strict discipline and non-avoidance of the tasks to be done. However, repeated avoidance (putting off) is a form of power and control. As the time approaches to start work, anxiety builds at the thought of praise or failure. Postponement puts the task avoider back in control but any comfort gained from that is short-lived. Routine and proper completion of tasks has to be just that.....routine.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2011 - 12:02 AM

Quote: I always worked on the principle of doing the thing that's hardest first

Ditto. Smile

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013935 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2011 - 12:08 AM

I always worked on the principle of getting someone else to do the thing that's hardest first Wink

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2011 - 1:21 AM

In my thankfully recently past working life i went to any number of team days etc about this and encountered a myriad of "models". Can I remember any of it...not a lot.

One that stuck in my mind though is a simple two by two grid of your tasks..

Vertical axis is importance (that might be finanacial, career building or whatever) and the horizontal axis is simplicity/quickness to difficulty/resource intensity.

So in two opposite quadrants you could have a simple job which is very important (eg just a quick phone call) or a big job that really can wait.

So the trick is to fill your spare minutes, grabbed half hours, with quick but important ones, and even some quick but unimportant ones to keep your sanity..

but keep quality time aside each day to attend to the resource intensive, time consuming but important ones.

The sad losers in this you put in your retirement list...the time-intensive non-important stuff

(a year in and I still haven't got near it Wink )

Stephen

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2011 - 9:38 AM

Thanks all.

Well the good news is that I have rewritten CV although still a few tweaks to make.

It is not my choice really as to which opportunity may come to fruition first or even at all. So I need to prioritise based on long term benefit of new skills I think.

I like Lob's approach to getting someone else to do the harder task. Only it is usually someone passing that task on to me Wink

Should know by end of week if I have a job before new year. At least I can plan with a known timetable one way or the other.

The 2x2 grid I have been using.

Like most mornings though I am sat in the coffee shop looking at job sites. A habit I need to break, but it is good to get out of the home office.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96097 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2011 - 9:43 AM

Quote: Like most mornings though I am sat in the coffee shop looking at job sites

Just go easy on all those Krispy Kreme doughnuts ! !

Last Modified By JJGEE at 29 Nov 2011 - 9:45 AM
csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2011 - 10:22 AM

Never had a Krispy Kreme donought in my life.

Even converted to skinny cappuccino or an americano!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.