Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Product Photography. What do I charge?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    janeez
    janeez e2 Member 51147 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2011 - 5:42 PM

I have been asked to photograph Jewellery for a web site for a local business. Very nice stuff it is too but I have no idea what to charge them for my work. Whole thing will probably take a couple of days as they have an extensive range of products. Anyone have any ideas or experience in this area? Weddings and portraits are my usual thing so this is a complete change of direction for me.

Ta

Jane

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Apr 2011 - 5:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

roxpix
    roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2011 - 5:48 PM

Is it feasible to use your hourly, daily or half day rate that you use for portrait work?

User_Removed
    28 Apr 2011 - 6:15 PM

I did the same sort of work for the gallery that took my prints...(Ginger in Looe) if you want to search....I found that costing this sort of work depends on how long you assess it will take to complete once you have set up.

THE MOST CRITICAL THING FOR ME WAS SORTING THE ITEMS INTO SIMILAR SIZES FOR THE LIGHTING/CAMERA SET UP AS THIS EATS TIME IF NOT DONE FIRST.

If it is a matter of days charge a daily rate, slightly over estimate the time as you can always offer a discount for a quick cheque, and get every thing listed up front as additional shots are nearly allways expected to be free! and I always found re-negotiation of price after the event difficult.

Lastly try and leave everything set up during any overnight breaks and just remove the camera and check your liability insurance....bonne chance....stuart

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 51147 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Apr 2011 - 12:10 AM

I think a daily rate sounds the best option. Unfortunately due to the high value of all the items they have to go back into the safe at night so leaving them out is not an option. The other problem is that although I can use the same set up for a few shots because of the variety of products I am having to make up different sets for each type of jewellery and try different lighting as well. Just to let anyone who may be interested know, diamonds are best photographed without flash and with reflected natural light. Flash gave yellow tints to the stones which was not at all what they wanted. something to do with purity etc.

Thank you for your help on this. I have uploaded one of the images taken this afternoon.

Janerings-web.jpg

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.