Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get on1's Perfect Effects 9.5 for FREE! (£48 value)

Product photography

User_Removed 11 271 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 6:00PM
A question has been put to me by one of my wife's friends.

If one was to take a photograph of a named product, e.g. Apple, Samsung, etc, is permission required from the manufacturer/trademark holder in order to sell the photo for gain, for example for stock photography?

Chris

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 11 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 6:25PM
If their logo or other trademarks constitute a significant part of the image then it can be an infringement. In a lot of stock photos of people with phones, laptops etc the gadgets look generic or are just one small part of the picture and that's why.
8 Oct 2012 6:28PM
Thanks Chris, what if the name, logo, & product constitutes the main bulk of the picture? I take it that would be infringement.
lemmy 8 2.2k United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 6:29PM
Micro-stock agencies won't accept anything with a logo showing.

Alamy will accept such pictures provided the device is not the point of the picture. For example, a model laughing with friends and holding an iPhone to her ear would be fine for editorial use. It would not be OK for commercial use and you would require a release. I have sold pix featuring my iPad hitched up to a DSLR. No problem for editorial use but for commercial use, say an ad or a poster, it's no.

The whole area is a bit fuzzy but agencies will always err on the side of caution. In general, don't show logos.
8 Oct 2012 6:41PM
Ok, Chris & Lemmy many thanks for your help on this, very much appreciated.
lemmy 8 2.2k United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 8:34PM
Sorry Chris_L I must have been writing my post while your post was appearing. I had nothing to add to yours but hadn't seen it at before I posted.
Carabosse Plus
12 39.7k 269 England
8 Oct 2012 9:04PM
Largely to echo what has already been said. Some stock libraries are very fussy. If at all possible, i.e. without ruining the photo, carefully remove any manufacturer logos/badges and you shouldn't have any issues.

"If in doubt leave it out!" Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.