Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Proof that gallery voting can work

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2010 - 1:17 PM

Recently I have served up my highest voted on pic since Dec 2006 (with 110 votes) and in the same week my lowest scoring shot since 2005 (8 votes). To me that says - 1: the site still has the same impact it had five years ago, despite people saying it's quieter etc. and 2: It also shows that the voting can work, I can see what's popular and what isn't and because I don't get into the clique arena my votes are not consistently high. I really like my 8 voted shot...I'm not bothered about the low score...I'm pleased that people don't just vote because it "Pete" which has been expressed many times before. So I feel I can use the votes as a gauge to what's "worked" and what hasn't quite successfully. It won't change my opinion on what I like, but its interesting to see what the epz community genuinely likes.

What are your views on this

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Sep 2010 - 1:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
23 Sep 2010 - 1:21 PM

OMG ITS PETE

SteveCharles
23 Sep 2010 - 1:23 PM

Quote: Proof that gallery voting can work

In what way? To what end?

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2010 - 1:33 PM

Quote: In what way? To what end?

In my case I know 100 more people liked a shot - that's a decent gauge
I'm just countering the regular posts that say votes don't matter. They can be used effectively

Of course if I was to go to a arty gallery my 8 voted shot may fare better, but If I was to knock out some postcards for sale...I know which one I'd be printing up.

DaveU
DaveU e2 Member 81339 forum postsDaveU vcard England121 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2010 - 1:34 PM

The votes and number of unique views on my pics are pretty variable too which is nice on two counts .....

a) It means that people are being selective when they view and vote on my pics rather than me just having a circle of 80 or so friends who always click just for the sake of it, and very probably expect a vote back in return.

b) It is a very useful gauge of how other's perceive my pics. Funny but some of the one's which I like the most are those that get fewest votes.

I would still argue though Pete, that the popularity of an image is driven to some extent by how attractive the thumbnail is. Some damn fine images fade into obscurity just because the thumbnail is dark and/or lacking in a hint of nipple Wink

Last Modified By DaveU at 23 Sep 2010 - 1:36 PM
SteveCharles
23 Sep 2010 - 1:44 PM

The 2 images are so different it doesn't say anything. The one with 110 votes is so typical of what is popular on EPZ that it couldn't fail, and the one with 8 you still like, so... I don't know what it's proof of other than what's popular on this particular website.

javam
javam e2 Member 101083 forum postsjavam vcard United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2010 - 2:04 PM

I think you are missing the point Steve, it proves that the subject and appeal of the image is being considered by the people voting not who took it.

No one is going to try and claim that there are not particular images that do better than others, but there are plenty of people who claim some shots get a lot of votes just because of the person that took them. That may be the case for some people who have a close group of favourites who like to support each other, but it shows if you maintain an objective view when assessing other peoples images (or just upload without clicking anybody elses images) you can expect to get a fair view of how appealing your image is across the EPZ user base.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2010 - 3:38 PM

Depends your definition of 'work', really, Pete.

Is the vote an indication that you like it, or an indication of its quality?

At the moment, RC gallery is not really an indication of the quality of the photos, which is why people say gallery voting doesn't work, I think.
So, if vote is an indication that you like it rather than its quality, maybe change the word from 'vote' to 'like' (a bit like FB really)?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2010 - 3:43 PM

A vote can say............. "I love you" Smile
blue-heart.jpg

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2010 - 3:44 PM

I think the only thing that can be deduced is that the second upload was not your norm in terms of style, however, had you linked to it from the forums like the landscape I'm sure it would have made an RC Wink

I think possibly all you have illustrated is what we mostly presume to be true, that each uploader has a personal average score, and that some image do better and some worse than this norm. From that you can decide to believe:

1) Higher scoring is better image
2) Higher scoring is more popular
3) Lower scoring has a poor thumbnail
4) Lower scoring - even your normal circle of voters don't like it Wink

monkeygrip
23 Sep 2010 - 4:11 PM

I dont think the number of votes has anything to do with the quality of the image like Pete says it just gives you a good indication of what people enjoy looking at. It also has to look or apear to look good as a thumbnail then it gets more views and if the quality is behind the interest it will get votes and comments.

One thing is certain if you have an attractive thumbnail get a massive amount of views and still score low there is a good chance that the image isn't very good.

irishman
irishman  101118 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2010 - 4:20 PM

Quote: but it shows if you maintain an objective view when assessing other peoples images (or just upload without clicking anybody elses images) you can expect to get a fair view of how appealing your image is across the EPZ user base.

Have to agree with that.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2010 - 4:22 PM

Quote: I dont think the number of votes has anything to do with the quality of the image

In that case, I guess myself and some others have been using it wrongly then....LOL

Daffy1
Daffy1  6337 forum posts Ireland
23 Sep 2010 - 5:20 PM

If I was concerned about how little votes I get I would have left this site years ago. But I learn so much from here, that I feel thet the votes are of secondary importance. (But it is nice to get lots of votes occasionally !!!). Damian

Picture_Newport

Quote: Proof that gallery voting can work

Why does it need justifying? Does it really matter?

The forums are littered with voting posts. Some praising the system. Some sla***g it off. Some saying they are indifferent to it.

I have been an on off member since 2006. Changing my profile name or opening a new account due to change of e-mail address along the way and I must admit that I have swayed to both ways of thinking in this time (and probably commenting on both). But I have now come to realize that it does not matter. So many people use this web site for so many different reasons, be that the forums, the galleries, the community, the learning aspect, the classifieds, the advertising, the reviews, just take a look at the tool bar along the top and see how many drop down boxes and options there are.

The voting system is just one feature on this vast site. It's an easy target for the grumpies on the site who want a good moan from time to time. Yes people have mates who vote for every image they upload. Yes landscapes, nipples and birds are popular. And Yes nobody likes dark moody Black & White images.

The one thing all us members have in common on this site is our interest in PHOTOGRAPHY. Just keep doing what you enjoy and uploading what you want to.

Last Modified By Picture_Newport at 23 Sep 2010 - 8:17 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.