Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Proper Background.????

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Kim Walton
    Kim Walton  10144 forum posts United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2008 - 4:14 PM

After seeing hundreds of shots of birds in pinsharp detail,with good defused backgrounds, was informed last night by a compertition judge that the "new thing" is to have the image sharp through out so as to show the inviroment the bird lives in.
    Now , have no gripe with that------
    But what is the correct way???

I know its personal choice,your image and if your happy its a result but what should the club circuit be looking for??

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Feb 2008 - 4:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2008 - 4:23 PM

Trouble is, if the background is also in sharp focus, the bird will be lost. Don't think there is a correct way, just what a particular judge likes, and that can be anything in my experience.

elowes
    elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Feb 2008 - 4:32 PM

Not a bird photographer but if you want to photo the bird keep focus on the bird. If you want to photo a bush with a bird in it then close down the aperture to get everything sharp.

I would imagine that you would get a less than interesting photograph unless you were interested in bushes

You would also risk a blurred bird as the shutter speed would be reduced.

conrad
    conrad  1010873 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2008 - 4:42 PM

I can't imagine any other explanation than that the judge knows of a specific ornithological institution or publication that for some reason wants to see the bird's habitat as well as the bird in photos, and he now thinks that this is the new way to go.

And I also can't imagine anything other than that this is an exception to the rule.

But I could be wrong, I'm not a bird photographer.

dickiedriver
    17 Feb 2008 - 10:32 PM

Not sure about this focusing of the background I know that alot of comp judges would like to see more of the natural enviroment of the bird but lets be honest if you are photographing birds unless you can staple them in place you take the shot that looks good to you and that is all that really matters if you like it them nothing else really matters does it have a look at my blue tit rides agin shot in my PF one of the pro critique team commented and he likes it so I must be doing something right, not only that but to get that unblurred background you are going to need a good lens that can stop down to about f/2.8 and they are pricey but enough of my soap box hope that helps

Richard

dcash29
    dcash29  81898 forum posts England
    18 Feb 2008 - 1:07 AM

I dont like this in focus background idea either, but i can see where they are coming from as it will make it harder to get the shot.

A comp. judge stated recently that the standard of 'birdie' shots is so high that they are now looking for 'in motion' shots to raise the bar.

Last Modified By dcash29 at 18 Feb 2008 - 1:08 AM
    aftertherain
    18 Feb 2008 - 7:56 AM

Bet you anything you like the next competition judge that comes along wants an out of focus background.
    That's the way it is with camera clubs Wink

Last Modified By aftertherain at 18 Feb 2008 - 8:00 AM
    aftertherain
    18 Feb 2008 - 8:00 AM

On a more serious note:
    I was in a camera club many years ago, I eventually found myself taking photographs to please the judges. I won a lot of plastic cups but didn't much like the stuff I was producing and gave up photography for a while.
    Best advice I can give is, be true to yourself, take what you like and enjoy your hobby.

dave thelens
    18 Feb 2008 - 8:34 AM

Quote: A comp. judge stated recently that the standard of 'birdie' shots is so high that they are now looking for 'in motion' shots to raise the bar.

Comp judges .... who the f**k do they think they are ...
    Quote: we are looking for this type of shot to raise the bar

....don't make me laugh... should be out down at birth the lot of them

Rant over for today

DTL

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Feb 2008 - 10:11 AM

As has been said already - take shots for yourself, not the judges.

In one season I've had tens for artsy-fartsy "slowmo" shots of swans in flight in various competition only to later have the same shot judged a 6 in another competition - " 'cos anyone can do that!"

I've had shots marked down by so called "Experts" in that particular breed of bird ('cos the colours weren't right) - he hadn't even got the species right!

etc.

What should the club circuit be looking for?

Better, more qualified judges (with eye-test certificates)

Photographers who enjoy what they are doing and will jeer at poor judging (we do! Smile )

More Swan and Robin pictures (you can drive judges mad that way Wink )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 18 Feb 2008 - 10:12 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.