Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Proper Background.????

Kim Walton e2
11 144 30 United Kingdom
15 Feb 2008 4:14PM
After seeing hundreds of shots of birds in pinsharp detail,with good defused backgrounds, was informed last night by a compertition judge that the "new thing" is to have the image sharp through out so as to show the inviroment the bird lives in.
Now , have no gripe with that------
But what is the correct way???

I know its personal choice,your image and if your happy its a result but what should the club circuit be looking for??

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
15 Feb 2008 4:23PM
Trouble is, if the background is also in sharp focus, the bird will be lost. Don't think there is a correct way, just what a particular judge likes, and that can be anything in my experience.
elowes 10 2.8k United Kingdom
15 Feb 2008 4:32PM
Not a bird photographer but if you want to photo the bird keep focus on the bird. If you want to photo a bush with a bird in it then close down the aperture to get everything sharp.

I would imagine that you would get a less than interesting photograph unless you were interested in bushes

You would also risk a blurred bird as the shutter speed would be reduced.
conrad 10 10.9k 116
15 Feb 2008 4:42PM
I can't imagine any other explanation than that the judge knows of a specific ornithological institution or publication that for some reason wants to see the bird's habitat as well as the bird in photos, and he now thinks that this is the new way to go.

And I also can't imagine anything other than that this is an exception to the rule.

But I could be wrong, I'm not a bird photographer.
dickiedriver 8 212 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2008 10:32PM
Not sure about this focusing of the background I know that alot of comp judges would like to see more of the natural enviroment of the bird but lets be honest if you are photographing birds unless you can staple them in place you take the shot that looks good to you and that is all that really matters if you like it them nothing else really matters does it have a look at my blue tit rides agin shot in my PF one of the pro critique team commented and he likes it so I must be doing something right, not only that but to get that unblurred background you are going to need a good lens that can stop down to about f/2.8 and they are pricey but enough of my soap box hope that helps

Richard
dcash29 9 2.0k England
18 Feb 2008 1:07AM
I dont like this in focus background idea either, but i can see where they are coming from as it will make it harder to get the shot.

A comp. judge stated recently that the standard of 'birdie' shots is so high that they are now looking for 'in motion' shots to raise the bar.
Bet you anything you like the next competition judge that comes along wants an out of focus background.
That's the way it is with camera clubs Wink
On a more serious note:
I was in a camera club many years ago, I eventually found myself taking photographs to please the judges. I won a lot of plastic cups but didn't much like the stuff I was producing and gave up photography for a while.
Best advice I can give is, be true to yourself, take what you like and enjoy your hobby.
dave thelens 11 936 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2008 8:34AM

Quote:A comp. judge stated recently that the standard of 'birdie' shots is so high that they are now looking for 'in motion' shots to raise the bar.

Comp judges .... who the f**k do they think they are ...
Quote:we are looking for this type of shot to raise the bar
....don't make me laugh... should be out down at birth the lot of them

Rant over for today

DTL
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2008 10:11AM
As has been said already - take shots for yourself, not the judges.

In one season I've had tens for artsy-fartsy "slowmo" shots of swans in flight in various competition only to later have the same shot judged a 6 in another competition - " 'cos anyone can do that!"

I've had shots marked down by so called "Experts" in that particular breed of bird ('cos the colours weren't right) - he hadn't even got the species right!

etc.

What should the club circuit be looking for?

Better, more qualified judges (with eye-test certificates)

Photographers who enjoy what they are doing and will jeer at poor judging (we do! Smile )

More Swan and Robin pictures (you can drive judges mad that way Wink )

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.