Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Pros are ace, amateurs are not......

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
losbarbados
28 Feb 2011 - 10:31 PM

Quote: Quote:But pro's do remember keen amatures pay for most of the R&D in camera equipment, your current camera is what it is due to amateur demand.
Eh?!!!

So the development of 52-point autofocus using mciro stepper motors to drive the focus motor while being linked to a dynaic metering system was driven by amateur demands??

Without a doubt, amateurs are where the camera companies make their money

I'd go along with that to a certain extent, at club motorsport event you see an awful lot of people wandering round with the latest CaNikon gear with no apparent clue on how to use it or why they have been out and spent all of that money on a camera they will only ever use to about 20% capacity.

The keen amateur on the other hand is a differant story, they buy kit because it suits their requirements (even if there are better more expensive options out there) not because they have seen the "pro's" use it

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Feb 2011 - 10:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours

I agree that they make money from their consumer grade cameras, but the development from these has definitely came from the pro models. As Ade suggests, just like Merc and Audi the top end has all the bells and whistles... but some of their features work their way down into the lower end motors.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2011 - 11:44 PM

The amateur market is mainly driven by the likes of Canon and Nikon telling the amateur what he really needs camera wise i.e the latest incarnation of a previous departed model,, and us mugs believing them! WinkWinkWink

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2011 - 11:56 PM

lol - I'm still using my loyal Canon 5D Wink

I'd need a new computer if I got a 5D2 - huge files would kill the current one !

And think of all the extra hard disc space?

and I've got about 15 spare batteries for the 5D (cause I'm paranoid, ok!) - I'd have to invest in loads for a 5D2

I wonder how my slowish CF cards would cope with the larger files? Would that be an issue?

So the upgrade path isn't always paved with gold, but usually paved with unseen expense Wink

I've printed at 90 by 60 INCHES with the old 5D, looks cool Wink Do I need more pixels?

(ok - high ISO would be nice Wink )

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2011 - 12:02 AM

At the moment I'm still lugging my 300D around. It does the job - the 17-85mm is OK and that's really all that concerns me! Grin

losbarbados
1 Mar 2011 - 6:25 AM

Quote: The amateur market is mainly driven by the likes of Canon and Nikon telling the amateur what he really needs camera wise i.e the latest incarnation of a previous departed model,, and us mugs believing them! WinkWinkWink

The thing with the amateur market is it is still led by Jessops. and they will only sell Canikon. If you want anything else you have to drag it out of them.
The keener end of the market will go to a proper camera shop where they know about cameras and get proper advice

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023174 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2011 - 7:50 AM

The idea that camera technology is led by the Pro market and filters down is largely a myth as many areas were in fact introduced through what might be termed amateur cameras. Though Leica (and I knew of few Pro's actually using them) led, it was companies like Konica and Polaroid who came to the market place with Auto Focus.
The Nikon FA with it's Matrix Metering was never truly regarded as a 'Pro' camera. The old mini German camera from the 60's with TTL metering came from common or garden beginnings.

It was after all an Amateur Photographer who invented the Professional Photographer. If you look at many of the current developments, many of which will never make it into a 'Pro' camera, they started life in the compact market. Whilst many 'Amateurs' have far better and newer kit than their Pro counterparts who tend to buy what they need rather than what they desire.

Tonyd3
Tonyd3  101009 forum posts United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2011 - 9:23 AM

Quote: The thing with the amateur market is it is still led by Jessops. and they will only sell Canikon.

Ask any one in store and they will tell you taht the best sellign brand for cameras in a Jessops store is SONY, why because they make more money from those cameras

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2011 - 9:41 AM

The gap between perception and reality.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53668 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2011 - 12:35 PM

Also maybe the amateur is often too keen to 'grab' a shot, and not plan & prepare for it. My excuses are I didn't bring a tripod/reflector/grad etc. or I can't be there for the early morning/ late afternoon light.
I think the experts (pros & amateurs) know what they want to achieve and what they can't achieve in a situation and play to those strengths. Amateurs like myself are perhaps still taking lots of pictures and trying to 'tune' in to repeatability good performances for a particular style or subject.

As amateurs maybe we have less available time, or just more money - so we try and buy quickly into a system that will give us the results we see the pro's/experts achieve - all the gear and sometimes, no idea! CanikonYX are happy to take our money and let us believe its the technology - which in part it can be, in terms of getting a higher hit rate of good usable shots.

randomrubble
1 Mar 2011 - 12:54 PM

Quote: I agree that they make money from their consumer grade cameras, but the development from these has definitely came from the pro models. As Ade suggests, just like Merc and Audi the top end has all the bells and whistles... but some of their features work their way down into the lower end motors.

Keith got in first but I want to add that over the last 40-odd years the only major tecnical advance I can think of that came into the pro SLR before the amatuer is the Digital Sensor. All the big advances like AE, program, multi program, built-in widers, TTL flash (Olympus OM-2), AF, IS (even lens based IS introduced in Canon's 75-300 not an exotic pro lens). Also design advances like using LCD and LED displays,

Hell, when the Eos range was introduced Canon's 'Pro' option was a manual camera that could only have auto exposure with an accessory finder or winder.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2011 - 11:14 PM

well I thought this thread have been a little more, err, explosive

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72539 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
2 Mar 2011 - 1:06 AM

Well I "upgraded" to a D300 because its frame-capture rate was faster ( I like motorsport..) and actually it's built like a weather-resistant brick outhouse compared with what I used before, live-view is useful for macro stuff..at the time of its introduction it was touted close to "pro" level (whatever that is..) - well that's bound to make my photography better innit...sadly now, it's been demoted with newer version(s) touting video (of no interest actually..) but obviously the marketing boyos think it's no longer capable of taking photographs... so to keep my photography top-notch I need to buy another "pro" level machine don't I...
Smile

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023174 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2011 - 7:50 AM

Quote: well I thought this thread have been a little more, err, explosive

Would take me about three minutes to oblige
Wink

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73903 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2011 - 8:49 AM

Quote: Would take me about three minutes to oblige

Lost your touch then Keith? Or is it old age?

Used to take just one barbed/ hilarious word / comment. Or in the spirit of the forums at the moment a well placed link to a blog Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.