Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Prosumer cameras - your views please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
MediumSizeUnavailable

sorry Paul, but I don't follow you I'm afraid. In street photography as far as I know it isn't exactly convenient to walk around with a seperate screen, wireless or not. the advantage of having your (swivel)screen attached to your camera is that consequently you can still use both hands to operate the camera (considering that you often will have to use low iso numbers because of the bad quality of higher ISO, and consequently will have slower shutter speed, it is often - for me at least - quite useful to be able to use both hands, if only for getting a better balance and avoiding motion blur).
Not about to slag the glasses-idea. that would be a bit like slagging the ss idea for no good reason. but the thing is, I'm trying to avoid catching the attention of people Wink
The day they look like Ray Ban's I might be interested though. Besides, another disadvantage is that you have to look at the subjects with your glasses, which is exactly what attracts attention.

And as I said, I've yet to see a better alternative. Meaning, not something that occasionally works as well (like 'blind' shooting), but something that actually works better.
Wireless may work better for other photography applications (macro from difficult angles ?), but in streetphotography, as far as I'm concerned, it rather complicates things - compared to a camera attached swivelscreen.

Quote: Funny, no-one has mentioned what can be the number 1 problem with compact cameras in street photo/low light circumstances:

The ability to quickly focus on a pre-determined object or at a fixed distance.

Good point. I looked at it from my experience. and most of the time I just avoided photographing in low light situations. Not because of the point you mentioned, but because of the ISO problem compacts have. Once the ISO problem solved, the focusing speed would probably end high up my wish list though.
And must say, allthough even in bright circumstances compacts focus rather slow, it never really caused me any problems. Don't know how to explain it, but you get used to the camera and its peculiarities/shortcomings, and automatically start to anticipate.
Even for the boxing and takraw shots it worked rather well - once you got used to the rythm of their hits and kicks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Sep 2008 - 5:41 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2008 - 7:47 AM

Quote: Actually surprised that I have to explain this.

I'm well aware of the process, I was just interested in your approach as I admire your work, so thanks that's a really good insight into your methodology.
My favourite compact was the Coolpix 900 series. It was when 2mp was the best, but at that time the swivel body really was an advantage, and that one only rotated in one direction.

Quote: I mean, what are the disadvantages ?

The main one for current manufacturers is, I imagine, size. A swivel screen needs extra dimension for the hinge/swivel, but also for the extra two faces. And they have caused problems in the past because of internal wires breaking through constant swivelling.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315243 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2008 - 6:40 PM

Quote: Sorry Paul, but I don't follow you I'm afraid. In street photography as far as I know it isn't exactly convenient to walk around with a seperate screen, wireless or not. the advantage of having your (swivel)screen attached to your camera is that consequently you can still use both hands to operate the camera

Some are tiny and are only set to one eye, the one I played with was pretty good I think. It did not only leave both hands free but made it posible to control two camera`s at the same time.

For me the main disadvantage of swivel screens are often limited visibility and the simple fact they get in the way, and for me live view has made life easier especially tethered and not just to computers or laptops but any device that will show an image.

Quote: The ability to quickly focus on a pre-determined object or at a fixed distance

Get yourself a prosumer with decent manual focus, or a setting so that the camera will store your last saved zoom and focus setting or both.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.