Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

"Protected" photos

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
DRicherby
DRicherby  5269 forum posts United Kingdom725 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2011 - 3:51 PM

Well, that kills mods and critique, doesn't it? If people can't easily download a copy of an image posted to the site, how are they going to post mods?

It also becomes inconvenient to give critique. Even on photos that don't have mods turned on, I will often download a copy to look at the histogram so I can give advice about exposure or to look at the effect of white-balance changes, crops and so on before giving advice there. Having to jump through hoops to download photos makes this much more tedious to do. That will, inevitably, mean that I give less of this kind of advice, simply because it takes more time to do. This is a shame, as I have many PMs from members of the site thanking me for giving such advice.

And it is just jumping through hoops. If you send an image to my browser to be displayed, I can save it to my disk, pure and simple. On Windows, you can just hit Print Screen, paste into your image editor and crop. In Firefox, go to Tools|Page Info, click the Media tab, scroll through the list 'til you find the image and hit Save As. So, very little protection and much inconvenience that hinders much of what this site aims to do.

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Jan 2011 - 3:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2011 - 3:57 PM

The site can never do anything right, can they?
When they didn't do this in previous version of gallery, they were said not doing anything to protect the images uploaded.
When they do something about it, some people aren't pleased with the changes.
You really can't have the pie and eat it all.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2011 - 3:58 PM

You can still download pictures in the critique gallery???

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 19 Jan 2011 - 3:59 PM
Jestertheclown
19 Jan 2011 - 4:00 PM

Quote: You can still download pictures in the critique gallery???

. . . but you can't see the mods. that have been uploaded.

DRicherby
19 Jan 2011 - 4:29 PM

answersonapostcard wrote:
> You can still download pictures in the critique gallery???

In Firefox, only by right-clicking, choosing 'View background image' and then saving.

But even that's not available with photos that have mods enabled. It's also complicated enough that a lot of people aren't going to realise it's possible.

The site's terms and conditions say, "All photos displayed in the ePHOTOzine Gallery are open for other members to comment and critique" (my emphasis). It doesn't matter if they're in the critique gallery or have mods enabled. All photos are open for critique. This "protection" is a serious impediment to critique and I always thought that critique was a lot of what this site is about.

I have a plugin that displays EXIF information, where present, but that doesn't work any more because of "protection". Out of focus photo? It's now a pain in the backside for me to give advice on why; it used to be a simple matter of choosing "EXIF Data" from the right-button menu and making a quick comment explaining that a faster shutter speed/narrower aperture/tripod/whatever would help get a sharper photo. Photo looks dark? It's now a pain in the backside for me to give advice on why; it used to be a simple matter of choosing "Save Image As..." on the right button menu, loading into Paint Shop Pro to see the histogram and making a quick comment that the shot's a shot under-exposed and saying how to use histograms and exposure compensation.

None of that works any more.

Dave.

DRicherby
19 Jan 2011 - 4:30 PM

Jestertheclown wrote:
> . . . but you can't see the mods. that have been uploaded.

You need to click the 'Modifications' tab under the photo. I don't know if that was working earlier but it is now.

Dave.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2011 - 4:31 PM

Quote: . . but you can't see the mods. that have been uploaded.

Yes you can, they are under modifications.

Quote: In Firefox, only by right-clicking, choosing 'View background image' and then saving.

You can download a photo in the critique gallery by clicking modifications and then 'download picture'.

Quote: I don't know if that was working earlier but it is now

yes it was Smile

Quote: "All photos displayed in the ePHOTOzine Gallery are open for other members to comment and critique" (my emphasis).

Yes, absolutely correct but only if a mod option is enabled, or within the critique gallery where it is compulsory, should you be able to download pictures.

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 19 Jan 2011 - 4:33 PM
DRicherby
19 Jan 2011 - 4:32 PM

> You can still download pictures in the critique gallery???

DRicherby wrote:
> In Firefox, only by right-clicking, choosing 'View background image' and then saving.

And that stopped working after the most recent read-only period. Now photos in the Critique Gallery are "protected", too.

Dave.

answersonapostcard
19 Jan 2011 - 4:37 PM

Still working for me.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72236 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
19 Jan 2011 - 4:38 PM

Hi Guys,

To download images with modifications/critique enabled, click the 'modifications' tab and select 'Download'

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
DRicherby
19 Jan 2011 - 4:57 PM

> Still working for me.

The 'Download' button still works, yes. The 'Display background image' thing in Firefox doesn't work any more but, with the download button, that's not a problem. (Note that Firefox will still save any image it can display, via the Media tab.)

Dave.

Jestertheclown
19 Jan 2011 - 5:05 PM

It seems that you can still use the right click and "view background image" method of saving for images by non-paying members but E2 members' images need to be screen-shot and pasted.
I suppose that's meant as a benefit to attract people to the idea of paying for membership but I can't see many being swayed by it once they know how to sidestep it.

Jester.

Dave, I haven't yet mastered the media tab?

Jestertheclown
19 Jan 2011 - 5:27 PM

Quote: Dave, I haven't yet mastered the media tab?

. . . Got it!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013939 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2011 - 5:30 PM

Quote: I suppose that's meant as a benefit to attract people to the idea of paying for membership but I can't see many being swayed by it once they know how to sidestep it.

I don't know - I've explained to many people who have raised reports over the years how easy it is to knick an image and they still say they want this sort of protection. Personally I would like to be able to switch it off but it doesn't seem to be an option at the moment.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87253 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2011 - 5:40 PM

......I don't really know why someone would want a 1000px photo....it no good to anyone.Good idea to download modifications only.Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.