Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Protecting Gear in Australia and Singapore

johnp 10 141 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2008 5:25PM
We're off on "the trip of a lifetime" soon - San Francisco - Fiji - Brisbane - Cairns - Uluru - Alice Springs - Sydney - Singapore. Depart July, return September. Never been to any of these places before, so no experience of the likely problems.

My major concern is protecting my gear (40D, 24-105L, 100-400L, Sigma 10-20, 550EX) against humidity and temperature. Please can anyone advise how best to do this? I have visions of keep steaming up and drying out, especially in Cairns and Singapore.

Any other general photographic advice you can offer - e.g. especially photogenic locations in these various spots - would be very welcome.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
22 Jun 2008 6:05PM
On the way out to Oz we stopped in Malaysia, far more humid than by the coast in Oz and that was in November/December which is warmer (you'll be there in winter don't forget). Didn't notice any particular problems with camera steaming up even in Kuala Lumpur, although I had a compact, but my dad had a couple of film SLRs and he didn't seem to have a problem either.

Around Uluru I'd be more worried about dust!

Any space in the suitcase..?
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
22 Jun 2008 6:06PM

Quote:...against humidity and temperature.

Don't worry about it. Just be sure you allow time for the equipment to acclimatise from the (relative) cabin temperature of the aircraft at each stop. As to locations... anyone?

Enjoy the trip!
rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
22 Jun 2008 6:22PM
Sorry, locations... Around Sydney (pretty much everything in Sydney is what you see in every tourist brochure/mag, it'll be painfully obvious where to stand, and where to pop the tripod!) try and get a day trip up into the Blue Mountains, can't remember the company we took, but it was one of the more expensive ones, however they had a smaller 4x4 minibus type thing that meant they could take us off the beaten track up to some great viewpoints that the coach tours wouldn't go near - basically tour up to the mountains, stops at wildlife sanctuary on the way, comes back via the Olympic site with a boat cruise back to the city. Try in the city to get over to Manly, and maybe even the ferry over to the zoo, great views from there back to the city (you don't have to go in to get these, and the ferry's not expensive, although the zoo was great) Sorry, don't know about any of your other stops.
markharrop 10 191 England
22 Jun 2008 8:03PM
I spent have spent a month in Oz, and didn't find the conditions bad for my Canon 350d.

Agree with rowarrior, pretty much everywhere in Sydney has fantastic photo ops. I didn't stop taking pictures.
I keep saying to myself, "No more of the bridge and opera house" but everytime you see them you just have to take a quick one.

Take the ferry from Circular Quay to Manley, you get fantastic views of both the Opera house and Bridge at the same time, and the trip to Manley is worth it too. The beaches there are great!

You can also get a good view from the Sydney Observatory too.

Cairns is okay, but if you get the chance drive north up the coast and visit some of the beaches there. We stayed in Palm Cove, it's very beautiful, and there is a little restaurant that does great pizza!

Have a great trip.
julzt 8 181 England
22 Jun 2008 9:47PM
Hi, I spend a lot of my time travelling to tropical countries. I have not had a problem with humidy, however I keep my camera bag and lense bags stuffed with silicone packets.
Heaps of photo spots around brisbane - drive north into the glasshouse mountains, take a trip to steve irwins zoo, visit the semi rainforest and waterfalls around Buderim, and take a walk around the Noosa National Park.
Have a great trip!
johnp 10 141 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2008 10:36AM
Thanks, folks. Sounds like I don't have as big a problem as I expected.

Thanks too for the ideas for photo-opportunities. Manley from Circular Quay it is, then. And as for Australia Zoo, Mark, it's a must for us - our daughter works for an aquarium and has reciprocal visiting rights there. I just love freebies! Rowarrior I think I've found the firm you meant for Blue Mountains. Will book!

John

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.