Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exciting Updates to Free & Paid Memberships! Read More

PS Elements 3 Raw conversion

billip 10 388 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2004 8:57AM
I was wondering whether anyone has been using PSE v3 for long enough yet to have an opinion on the raw conversion ? As I have v2, and no raw conversion software other than the camera-supplied stuff, I'm trying to decide whether I'd be better to upgrade to PSE v3 or to buy a stand-alone raw conversion package such as Capture 1. Thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 Plus
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2004 11:05AM
As an inveterate fiddler I've tried a lot of them. From experience I would rate as follows (for canon 300D) from "best" to "worst" as RAW processors:

C1 > PSE3 > PSP/9 > DPP > EVU

rating on ease of use, flexibility and quality of processing and finished image

When I factor cost and general utility as an image processing tool it becomes

PSE3 > PSP/9 > DPP > EVU > C1 (Irfanview is in the top end somewhere but I find it a bit "clunky" to use - but it is free!)

I regularly use combinations of PSE/3 and PSP/9 as they each have tools the other doesn't.

Hopefully you will get input from others (who may well have a different judgement) and who may also be able to advise on other cameras' specific RAW processing software.

Brian
chris.maddock 13 3.4k United Kingdom
5 Dec 2004 11:12AM
Another worth looking at is Breezebrowser. Like C1 it has a trial version so you can see what you get before splashing the cash.
billip 10 388 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2004 12:37PM
Thanks to you both.
RFCat 10 19 Australia
5 Dec 2004 4:17PM
I use both C1 DSLR PRo and PS E v3. I was very disappointed with the E v3 conversion, they were not very good at all. I shot with a 10D in raw mode. I will be sticking with C1 as the conversion/exposure tool and only using E v3 as an adjustment tool. Most of the time I am very happy with the out of camera photo and that C1 provides all the neccessary tools for adjustments. E v3 was to be the cleanup of odd unwanted objects in the photo.

A further thing I find wrong with E v3 is the user interface is very clunky with all those added features, not an easy product to use compared to E v2.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.