Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

PS Elements 3 Raw conversion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    billip
    billip  10388 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Dec 2004 - 8:57 AM

I was wondering whether anyone has been using PSE v3 for long enough yet to have an opinion on the raw conversion ? As I have v2, and no raw conversion software other than the camera-supplied stuff, I'm trying to decide whether I'd be better to upgrade to PSE v3 or to buy a stand-alone raw conversion package such as Capture 1. Thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Dec 2004 - 8:57 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110308 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Dec 2004 - 11:05 AM

As an inveterate fiddler I've tried a lot of them. From experience I would rate as follows (for canon 300D) from "best" to "worst" as RAW processors:

C1 > PSE3 > PSP/9 > DPP > EVU

rating on ease of use, flexibility and quality of processing and finished image

When I factor cost and general utility as an image processing tool it becomes

PSE3 > PSP/9 > DPP > EVU > C1 (Irfanview is in the top end somewhere but I find it a bit "clunky" to use - but it is free!)

I regularly use combinations of PSE/3 and PSP/9 as they each have tools the other doesn't.

Hopefully you will get input from others (who may well have a different judgement) and who may also be able to advise on other cameras' specific RAW processing software.

Brian

chris.maddock
    5 Dec 2004 - 11:12 AM

Another worth looking at is Breezebrowser. Like C1 it has a trial version so you can see what you get before splashing the cash.

billip
    billip  10388 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Dec 2004 - 12:37 PM

Thanks to you both.

RFCat
    RFCat  9 Australia
    5 Dec 2004 - 4:17 PM

I use both C1 DSLR PRo and PS E v3. I was very disappointed with the E v3 conversion, they were not very good at all. I shot with a 10D in raw mode. I will be sticking with C1 as the conversion/exposure tool and only using E v3 as an adjustment tool. Most of the time I am very happy with the out of camera photo and that C1 provides all the neccessary tools for adjustments. E v3 was to be the cleanup of odd unwanted objects in the photo.

A further thing I find wrong with E v3 is the user interface is very clunky with all those added features, not an easy product to use compared to E v2.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.