Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

PSE catalogs - HELP!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45761 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    24 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

I have got PSE 8 and catalogued all my pictures. I then installed PSE9 (without uninstalling PSE8) and tried to convert the catalogue which failed, so I went into PSE8 to trya nd see what th eproblem was - but from there it got all confusing.

As well as my main gatalogue there are two others - one labelled 'temp' and one 'temp 1' and both of these hold several thousand of the catalogued pictures. I am presuming (but don't know) if these were created by PSE9 as it tried to convert the PSE8 catalogue and are now stranded in limbo because the conversion failed.

My problem is that my catalogue is now split between 3 catalogues. If I go into PSE 8 and right click on a folder and hit 'Add unmanaged files' it erturns the message that it can't bring them in because they already exist in the catalogue - so in one sense PSE 8 can see them but it can't show me the thumbnails because they are in one of the two 'temp' catalogues. I have found on the internet a way to move photos from one catalogue to another, but given that PSE8 can already see them I am not sure if this will really screw things up.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

roy5051
    roy5051  12
    28 May 2011 - 6:48 PM

Since Elements 3.0, Adobe have insisted on including an Organiser in their program. Not only has it bloated the program, but it does not do the job as well as other programs might.

I would suggest that you dump the Organiser function (i.e. don't use it - it is not actually possible to dump it AFAIK) and download Picasa 3 for free. It catalogues all your pictures automatically, and when you add new pictures to your PC, it automatically adds those as well. Included are some basic adjustment functions, including one of the best 'straighteners' for horizons that I have ever used.

Elements as an editing program is fine, but Picasa does cataloguing better IMHO.

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014200 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

I was doing exactly as you suggest for quite awhile, and it seemed to work. I have PSE7, and I agree about the organiser. The problems started when I installed DPP and Zoombrowser because I've aquired a Canon DSLR and I'm using RAW format. Picasa seemed to take exception and became very difficult to use. I deleted Picasa, and started downloading pics using Zoombrowser, and processing in DPP, then importing the jpegs into PSE7. Everything seems fine, the thumbnails appear ok, but after that the thumbnails just show a blank, but by selecting them, I can see the actual pics. I haven't spent much time at it, just enough to create a huge mess.Wink

Jestertheclown
    28 May 2011 - 10:15 PM

Can you carry out a "system restore" to a point before you installed PSE9?

That will have the effect of removing PSE9 (because you won't have installed it yet!) and will hopefully restore PSE8 to how it was before, thus repairing your catalogues.

As Roy says, Picasa's not bad as an organizer although it does tend to gobble up and include absolutely every image on your machine when you instal it and I agree wholeheartedly that Picasa's straightening tool is the best around.

Once you've got all of your images safely organised (straightforward folders in My Pictures isn't as useless as people think), you can uninstal PSE8 and instal PSE9 afresh.

Hope this helps.

Jester.

StrayCat
    29 May 2011 - 6:15 AM

I have been known to be wrong, but I don't think restore system will remove programs. Why not just uninstall PSE8, and PSE9, for that matter, and then reinstall PSE9. The catalogue should remain, in fact it may ask if you want the catalogue for PSE8 removed with the program. As I said, I could be wrong.

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225716 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    29 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

Quote: I have been known to be wrong

Never, Denny! and I don't think so on this occasion. Smile

Mikehit - I would make sure my back ups are up to date first to safeguard the image store then un-install and re-install the progs as Denny suggests.

I also use Picasa 3 (which a free prog) which solved a lot of my problems of cataloguing.
    jas

Jestertheclown
    29 May 2011 - 1:58 PM

Quote: I don't think restore system will remove programs.

I've done it in the past Denny but I'm not sure that it removes everything.
    As an option, if all else fails though it might just do the trick.
    Although, like yourself, I could be wrong!

StrayCat
    29 May 2011 - 7:14 PM

One thing to remember, the catalogue only consists of thumbnails of the images. The images themselves are still in their original folders.

Jestertheclown
    29 May 2011 - 7:30 PM

Quote: The images themselves are still in their original folders.

Hi Denny,
    That's really what I was getting at earlier when I mentioned "My Pictures."
    And on the subject of cataloguing, "FastStone" doesn't do a bad job either. And it's free.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.