Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Purchase Student version of CS6 or rent through creative cloud

I'm currently on a part time course studying creative photography. I have a very old version of Photoshop that can't be upgraded however through the college course, I think I'm entitled to purchase discounted version of CS6 for 190inc VAT. I also see on the Adobe website I could effectively rent the software through their creative cloud for 17.58/month ( one application). As ultimately I want keep up to date with Photoshop as new versions are released, I don't want to again get into the position I'm currently in with a non upgradable old software, the latter route has its attractions.

My questions are:
1) Has any one experience of recently purchasing Photoshop through the student / educational option?
2) Is anyone using creative cloud and renting the software? if so what is their opinion of the experience?
Thanks

Chris

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

3 Feb 2013 2:34PM
my Son, a Student, and daughter, a teacher have both used Software for students.

http://www.software4students.co.uk

Very good prices, hard media delivered quickly by post. Adobe products include a 30 day trial whilst submitting proof of eligibility. Adobe responded within about 2 working days.
3 Feb 2013 2:36PM
I have just upgraded from CS4 to CS6 but expect that this may be the last time I upgrade. I also use Lightroom which, unlike Photoshop, is designed for photography. LR is particularly valuable if you use Raw files. My processing now uses very little of PS and there are few features I use other than cloning and layers (for a few images). I suspect that cloning and layers will eventually be included in LR. To be honest there was very little in CS6 that I want to use that was not in CS4. My editing typically splits about 85% LR and 15% PS. I only upgraded to CS6 because it was the last chance to do so. I certainly would not choose the renting service myself as it is going to cost 210 a month which is a lot more than I would pay for upgrading every 2-3 years. However, I appreciate that Adobe may make it impossible for us to miss upgrades in future so I will be questioning whether an upgrade adds anything of value for me. At the moment, it is difficult to see what might enhance PS for photography.

Perhaps you might consider other options. If you do not already have it, buy Lightroom 4 which will also be about half price or less for a student. Then consider whether you actually need CS6 or would the latest version of Elements couple with LR do the job. You could download Elements and PS as trials though it would be difficult to really test PS in 30 days.

Dave
Thanks Dave and Steve, To be clear I've been using Photoshop for about 6 years and very happy with it.. I don't want to go down the Elements route,Ii also find that Bbridge offers me the facilities for grading etc. I use nik silver efecs and colour efecs too. Lightroom is interesting but it does not have the functionality for pixel editing i want. I don't really want to get into an argument re the types of products or necessarily the costs. I'm just interested in hearing from anyone who had purchased either through the student route or by creative cloud.

Thanks for yout comments Steve. Looking at Adobe and the re seller sites it seems you buy the product on a non refundable basis first then submit the student evidence. If Adobe refuse it you are left with a worthless product! Also re the creative cloud, there appear to be additional benefits i wondered if people found them useful.

Thansk

Chris
Graysta e2
9 1.1k England
3 Feb 2013 5:03PM
I would go down the LR road get the education version and submit your details if you are accepted you can then use the same submission details for CS6
Hi Graysta, nice try, and I had a similar thought but you cannot do that, you may only purchase one student package!

Chris
Graysta e2
9 1.1k England
3 Feb 2013 8:11PM
No you can do it trust me. I asked Adobe for my Daughter in Law who teaches art. It is one per platform they class LR & CS as 2 different items. I know the wording looks as you say but I could copy you the adobe response.
Go online to Adobe and ask their on line helpers.
Hope this helps.

Graham

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.